Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill under fluoro...failed

I had an awful fill experience today and am wondering if this has happened to others.

I'm 6 weeks postop, and went for my first fill today. After several unsuccessful attempts my Dr. decided to do the fill under fluoro (with an x-ray machine.) From what I've read on here fluoro fills are suppose to be great;quick and accurate. This was not the case at all. My Dr. still had trouble, and tried with that awful needled for another 30 minutes. I was actually bleeding from all of the poking and prodding. At one point I had 4 Dr.'s in the room trying to figure it out. My port has shifted and the angle is weird, but I still figured they'd be able to do it.

So they sent me home and told me to come back in a month so we could try again. I'm just really disappointed because I was so looking forward to getting this weight loss going. Most people get their first fill 4-6 weeks postop, I'll have to wait until 10 weeks out. Has anyone else has such an issue with this? I hope I don't come across as whiny, I'm just very frustrated.

I don't blame you for being disappointed. It sounds like your surgeon did not stitch the port to the muscle good enough or at all.

So for the next few weeks you will have to rely solely on your own will power to lose weight but you can do it. Count your calories and eat your Protein first, veggies next then healthy carbs if you still have room. Drink all the Water (64 oz).

I also suggest that if you haven't already, start exercising for 60 minutes each day.

Best of luck to you!

Donna

I'm really sorry to hear about your ordeal :-( Even though fills don't usually hurt, I hate that damn needle (I think its the scary length honestly) and I would freak out if I ever had to be poked more than once.

I've had all my fills under fluoro and they've all been quick and accurate. Usually I get an xray (before my surgeon even gets there) before contrast. Then when my surgeon comes, they do another xray. And then, with xray machine still on, my surgeon lines up the needle over the port (he just lays the needle flat on my belly). When he gets the location, he then puts the needle in (and I drink contrast, and he adjusts as necessary). Is this what your doctor did?

(I think its the scary length honestly)

I'm confused. How long is this needle? The one that is used on me just looks like a normal needle. Usually they get my port first attempt but last week it took 2. Dr found it easier to find with me lying flat whereas previously I have always had to do a crunch.Must have something to do with having lost weight.

I know the needle looks awful, thank God for numbing medicine! This is close to what my Dr. did, except that they took an x-ray, then put the needle in and took another x-ray while the needle was still in so they could make sure it was in correctly (which it wasn't) and they had to repeat this over and over again moving the needle each time because the dang thing just could not find the dome of the port.

I wouldn't say it was painful; but I sure was sore afterwards. Plus I had to drive over two hours round trip to get there, and to walk away with no fill was a bad feeling. But the only thing I can do now is work hard and rely on good old diet and exercise. Hopefully come December the fill attempt is successful!

Edited by milwif

my only concern regarding this is what is going to change waiting a month? Are they thinking the port is going to magically be put back into place. If they had such trouble they should be looking at options for a port revision IMO to avoid any delay for you for fills in the future. I only say this as my port as flipped and thank goodness its so close to the surface it can be fiddled with to get in the correct position. I just dont see the logic of the surgeon there. I am sorry you have gone through this I would be disappointed as well. :drool: I hope next month the same problem doesn't occur.

my only concern regarding this is what is going to change waiting a month? Are they thinking the port is going to magically be put back into place. If they had such trouble they should be looking at options for a port revision IMO to avoid any delay for you for fills in the future. I only say this as my port as flipped and thank goodness its so close to the surface it can be fiddled with to get in the correct position. I just dont see the logic of the surgeon there. I am sorry you have gone through this I would be disappointed as well. :drool: I hope next month the same problem doesn't occur.

My surgeon said that my abdomen is still a little lumpy from healing and that in another month it should be more flat, and I guess that will help locate the dome of the port. I sure hope thats the case. I'd really like to avoid a port revision surgery if possible.

well i do hope all goes well. Hopefully your port being angled and shifting ( which means it has moved from the original place it was sewn which means stitchings came loose) doesnt cause any problems with fills in the future for you as that would be a major PITA for you for sure. but Im sure all will be well. Good luck with your future fills.

Hi Milwif,

So sorry for your disappointment. :woot:

I had similar troubles. I'm a 2 hour drive to my post op care doc. I went at 6 weeks post-op and he didn't fill because my incisions weren't totally healed yet:sad:

I went back in 2 weeks and he stuck me alot and it hurt and didn't find the port.

They set me up to try again in 2 weeks. I called back the next Monday and said I didn't want to go through that again so I wanted it under flouro.

I thought that was setup till they did the reminder call the day before my appointment. I asked where I needed to go since it was going to be under fluoro.

Nope, no fluoro possible till Dec 9th.:drool:

I lost it at that point, that's 15 weeks post op.:laugh:

I called my surgeon and they could take me this week, but I couldn't afford the air fare/ ground/ and hospital charge.

I found another doctor that could see me in 2 weeks. Also big bucks to start over.

What a mess :scared2: I was so upset and conflicted that my financee called the office of the original appointment and talked with the PA. She was pretty confident she could fill it. So he convinced me to go to my appointment.

I was stressed out driving there but she FOUND the PORT and gave me my first fill.:laugh:

I am so thankful,

MaggieGT

Maggie,

I'm glad you were able to get everything resolved! I'm sure you're feeling very relieved. I hope they can fill it next time.

Oh my word ladies....well last Monday I went for my 2nd fill and neither the dr or his nurse/assistant could find my port. After lost of poking and pushing the dr said he wasn't comfortable continuing the search and the office scheduled a fill under fluoro for today at the hosp. They recommended I don't eat anything for two hrs prior. I'm hoping there's nothing wrong....:thumbup:

Thank you Milwif. I am so much calmer now.

So Petunia, what happened? Did they fill it under fluoro ok?

I made halfway to my first goal today:smile2:. My first goal is the step from obese to overweight.:) And I'm about a third of the way to my ultimate goal.

I haven't been this weight since the early 90's.:cursing:

Good Journey,

MaggieGT

Edited by MaggieGT

I had my first fill last week, and it was under flouro. My dr was having a hard time getting the needle (which is HUGE!) into the port. He had me lay on my right side, and tighten my stomach muscles. The port moved just a little bit and he was able to go right into it. Next time you go, ask your dr to try that if he still has trouble.

Hi Maggie thanks for asking. Yes I got the fill after dr worked almost TWO hrs with me. He gave me novacaine (twice) in the area so honestly I just felt the pinches from those shots nothing else. But he had a heck of a time and needless to say I was a nervous wreck. After all the poking and prodding I got 6 ccs, cuz guess what, the original 3 ccs were not there. Nurse said that with all the poking it was hard to tell.Yeah right, I don't think she put it in the port at all. Oh well, happy with what I got now...a new page on the book. You'll do fine too.Take care.

Wow, that sounds very rough. I'm so happy they gave you 6cc. Maybe that will get you to a good restriction for a while.

I've been plus or minus 3 pounds for over a month. Now after my first successful fill, I am losing again. It was a small fill (1cc in a 4cc band). I go back on the 17th for the next one.

Even though the fills are challenging, I still love my band and know I am losing this weight for the last time.

Good Journey:smile:

MaggieGT