Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kate's "The Works" special

Hi everyone! Wow, is all I have to say. I can't even believe the surgery is in two days. I don't know where the past few weeks went, I've been getting crushed in my dad's business. I think it's a good thing, because the surgery has just been an event I had to plan logistics for. I haven't been sleepless, I don't get any bubbles of fear inside. On the other hand, it all caught up with me last night and I had an emotional cleansing. Just for no reason, I was crying last night. I tried to write through it...I wasn't afraid, I wasn't angry. I just had to cry, and boy did I let it out. Since I had my monthly friend over a week ago, I couldn't chalk it up to PMS. I suppose it's normal.

I have conflicting feelings right now.

On the one hand: AH MAH GAH ITS FINALLY HAPPENING! My mind continues to blown. I cannot BELIEVE I was able to get this done. I cannot BELIEVE I could finance it, I would never have dreamed in a million years this would be done in 2009. The opportunity only presented itself because I started searching for an "eventual" surgeon and it all fell into place. I hear about people whose self confidence SOARS after surgery of this type. I'm a confident person, but I have zero body confidence. Anything will be a mental improvement. I have plans for rollerblading, biking, actually attempting to date in the spring. Wearing clothes that flatter me, looking less bulky and blocky. Having a band that WORKS! Oh my LORD I can't wait. The end game of being in the 150's is back. I thought it was out of my reach - again. It's the green grass on the other side. Thrilling and nerve wracking.

On the other hand: It's not a huge, epic deal. It's healing I have to go through, it's being put out of commission for a few weeks. It's complications, and they must be dealt with. This is just cosmetic surgery.

I want to tell everyone, and yet, not tell anyone.

Yesterday, I had an interview with a MRT, a musculo-skeletal reconstruction firm. I opted to donate the excess skin to this foundation. The interview was incredibly nice. They kept calling it a "gift" I was giving. My skin will go to a few different endeavors, facial reconstruction, arterial repair, even breast reconstruction for women who survive breast cancer. It makes me put this surgery into perspective, you know? Yes it's life changing for me, but I can help change someone else's life, too. It made me feel a million times less self-centered. I laughed with the interviewer and told him this is USDA Grade A skin...it's been well fed, well protected, and has never seen the sunlight.

Today and tomorrow will be whirlwinds. I am up early to write my final paper and email it in, I have to clean the whole house top to bottom, have my neighbors over this afternoon who will be feeding the cat and watering the plants. I'll be packing today. Sunday I have to get my car cleaned, get my food together/food shopping, and drop the dog off to be boarded for a week. I won't have time to sit around and think about this.

Allie - 24 hour care for 4 days was great info. I'm staying with my mom until Saturday. The docs feel I will be off narcotics within 4 - 5 days. I asked them about the pain, and they said the breasts and arms will be almost nothing, according to their patients, it's just the abs that hurt. I'm having a breast lift, not implants...I have pleeenty of bewbs for a D cup so it's just skin being stitched together that will hurt, not muscular pain. When I get home, my neighbors will be on call to help, and I have 3 friends who offered to drop by that second week, also I have a service coming in to run the doggie since I won't be able to do more than shuffle around with her. I am not sedentary, I walk her over an hour a day, so I think I will heal pretty quickly or at least get back into walking her (slower probably) fairly quickly. I do have a high pain tolerance and a stubbornness to be indepedent. I just hope it's enough to get me through :biggrin: But I will have people coming to visit daily.

skinnyjeans: LOL I am DYING to jump out of this skin. haha! I actually bought some mineral oil. I had a really rough time with Constipation after back surgery, I ended up impacted. UGH sorry for the visual, but it's reality. I've also got a fantastic dietary Protein shake called Shakeology and it has Fiber and Probiotics in it, which I'm on today and tomorrow, and all next week. I think this will lube up the ole intestines and keep stuff moving. I'm definitely concerned! My mom is a nurse, so if this doesn't keep me healthy there are enemas and suppositories and alllll kinds of fun she can inflict on me. I'll let y'all know.

smitten: Thank you for the congrats! I'm expecting to be useless for 2 weeks. By the end of the second week, I expect to be driving again, fully independently functional even if I'm slow moving. I work from home, so I'll be back to work sooner than most. If I worked in an office I'd need a minimum of three weeks off, according to the docs.

Well ladies, I WILL post pictures. I'll have to get a Make Me Heal account because I will post the full monty, it's just a body and I gotta stop be embarrassed by it. Even though I am still overweight. Dammit.

Is anyone on Facebook? Please add me -> Kate Eryn Campbell in Exton, PA. I will post there from my iPhone right after surgery, not sure I can login here for a few days. In the midst of all this, my main laptop asploded :wink2: and Dell is coming to my mom's house on Thursday to fix it, not sure I will have my backup laptop. I am an internet addict. I realize this. LOL.

Thank you guys so much for the love and support. Can't wait to get on with it.

Kate

2 days!!!!! So exciting! I agree with the doc Kate I really didn't feel my breasts, my tummy and legs were the worst.. actually I think the thighs were the worst I had lipo.. but I had a pain pump for tummy up. I can hardly wait to see your pics. I was also very emotional right before surgery. I actually was also pretty emotional on the 4th day.. had a nice big cry. I hate being helpless and felt like I was a burden to my honey. but it only lasted for 1/2 hour and I have been on cloud nine ever since. I will add you to my facebook.. everyone knows I had lapband and ps so you can say whatever you want on mine. I will not saying anything about your surgeries on yours unless you bring it up. I am so glad you are staying with your mom.. that's a great thing. Oh about the constipation.. I took Phillips stool softeners every day from day of surgery on and I am soooo glad I did.. I was so worried about having a difficult time I have IBS and it can be very painful. But I have to say everything is great and I haven't had any problems!! I will be praying and thinking about you and I wish you a speedy recovery! My suggestions for things to get pre surgery: stool softeners, sensitive skin baby wipes- for bathroom and for keeping fresh doc said no shower for 2 days, plenty of pillows for head and knees or a wedge for head, straws for drinks- hard to sit up, cough drops- I kept getting a tickle and coughing is the last thing you want, lotion, those were the most important things for me next to the pain meds lol. I SOOO EXCITED FOR YOU KATE!!!!

What kind of lotion??? Did you rub it on your wounds?

I will be doing my last minute shopping tomorrow. I want to pick up hibiclens and some baby wipes for sure. I'm staying overnight at the hospital one day, then an area hotel for another night. Wednesday morning I'll be showering for the first time with mom's help, and the doc says he wants to make sure I don't pass out or "have any leaks"...lmao.

There is definitely some differences in my healing plan than most other people here. My doc does not believe in binders. He's used them most of his career for body lifts (it's his specialty) but the past 3 years he stopped, and says the results are better. He feels the blood needs to flow to the healing areas, not be constricted. He also does a quilting of the skin, attaching it directly to the muscles which reduces the drainage post op, so we'll see. He says I can wear one if I feel I need one, but stresses it cannot be tight - ever - and not to sleep in it. I'm on the fence. I've seen his work, it's ridiculously good, and the guy has over 600 body lifts under his belt. I kinda believe him. So we'll see!! I'm game to try.

Allie, most people know about it but I am not posting ANY pictures on facebook...too many acquaintances :wink2: I'm not ashamed of the band or the PS :biggrin: I've come too far. Thanks for your sensitivity though. Just friended you.

Hey there.. the lotion is for the chafing I got from my compression.. I used bacitracin on my scars and they are completely closed and healed already! I am going to be getting some of the I think it's called mcderma to fade the scars. A major thing for your shower is have a stool to sit on in shower!!! I almost passed out and it was much easier to sit in the shower and wash up than to stand. I had a step stool that we used. Some people put lawn chairs in there. My hubby even got in with me the first couple of showers. My compression garment is like my security blanket lol.. every doc has differences.. I definetly need the compression, when I have it off I feel like my guts are gonna fall out lol. I haven't had alot of swelling in my tummy area, mostly in my boobs and I am just wearing a sports bra from walmart- they are great! they have hooks in the front and are so comfy.. 2 for 10 bucks can't beat that and my doc said they were great. :wink2:

Kate,

My dr. is the same way about compressions. He uses the progressive tension suture method which means less drainage and swelling, sounds like what your Dr. does. He said no binders and his work was fabulous. I only had my drain 7 days and it was barely draining 2 cc after the 4 day, so i do agree less draining. I'm on the fence too about compression, because I'm about a size bigger right now than was because of swelling. Only stretchy pants for me. Since I'm 3 weeks out I went to Dillards and got a firm panty/girdle. not sure i'll wear it yet because don't want to disturb my healing. I have appt Monday with PS and will ask him if my swelling seems to be where he expects it to be.

make sure you have those crackers and gatorade too. Need to keep replenish electrolytes. My hospital actually gave me a nice cup with bendy straw so I didn't buy any other cups. . i'm so glad you will be with your mom. My mom had to help me with showering too. We just used a step stool and hand held shower. It's uncomfortable but worth it. Be sure and put towel down on seat of stool so it doesn't hurt your bum. My breasts also got real dry so lotion is very good on list. Like Allie for the first 2 weeks PS had me put prescribed antibacterial cream on incision. After that he said stop and when I get the approval I will use the Mederma to fade the scar.

I'm gunna have to look for those Protein SHAKEOLOGY of your's. I like they have Probiotics.

I will add you on FB. Only my close friends know of my surgery too.

I'm so excited for you to have a working band and flat Tummy/Lift. Just remember lots of rest and take it easy.

Oh!!!! I cant wait to see your results. I am 258 and I'm going to have a lot of skin and can't wait to have it removed!

Sorry for the blogging here, but um, just feeling chatty.

Welp. I'm ready. I will ask my mom to post an update to my Facebook sometime tomorrow, if possible. She and technology have an uneasy, mutually suspicious relationship so we'll hope for the best. By Tuesday PM I should be discharged to the hotel and can at least update via my iPhone.

I was up early today and I'm singing songs to myself, changing the lyrics to amuse myself about my impending surgery. I woke up a few times during the night and wondered "is it over yet?" and was disappointed yet relieved to know it hadn't happened yet. Isn't that crazy?

I'm in such good health right now, nothing hurts, I've got full mobility...I had my arm over my head this morning in bed and thought, well, I won't be able to do this tomorrow.

I must admit I'm curious to know how bad the pain will be. I've coped with some severe physical pain in the past (lumbar surgery) and I know how to deal with life when I pull a back muscle or pop a disc. Familiar, you know? The inner control freak wants a full accounting upon waking up after surgery of how we're inhibited. Heh.

I feel mostly planned. Was thinking about Allie and her sexy little size 6 self, too, wondering when I will be able to change my facebook status to "Kate is now a size 8." LOL. I've never been below a 14 since I was an adult, so...I'm looking forward to it. There is more to this story, and I just couldn't freaking be happier.

Any last minute words of advice??

I'll be taking some pics today, and having my mom also take pics tonight (specially the arms, so mimilou can see the before and after :-) ) I'm thinking maybe Wednesday before the first shower we'll take more pics.

Yeah I'm probably more nervous about posting my nekkid body than having the surgery. but hey...you ladies shared it all (and boy did ya, Allie LMAO, I keep hearing "BEST O EVER" in my head) and it was so important for me to know the beginning and the end with pics. I want to have realistic expectations.

I loved your long newsy post!!!! I do appreciate your sweet and honest musings, makes it and you very real!!!

I will eagerly await your pictures. I know you can handle all that is coming!!!

Mimi

Good luck, Kate!! Keep us posted!

Lol Kate! I am sooo excited to see your pics :w00t: I had hubby take some front naked pics which I will reluctantly post today. I agree take lots of pre surgery pics. bent over, sides front and back. I found it so cool to go back and see the difference! I will be praying for you and checking this and Facebook continuously! I am so excited for you girl! Watch out here comes the new Kate size 8!!!!!! :tongue2: xoxo

Kate:

I'm so excited that your time has arrived! I'm also jealous because you're getting the "works". I just got Tummy Tuck with some extra Lipo.< /p>

As far as wondering about the pain. My abdominal pain wasn't bad until I got the dryheaves from the anesthesia. That lasted for the first 18 to 24 hours. Once that subsided it wasn't bad at all. I had a pain pump that helped me with the abdominal pain for the first three days before it ran out.

Thinking back, there was one thing that surprised me, embarassed me actually. I didn't realize that my doctor would have me stand naked in front of her and she got down sat down on the floor in and marked me from her sitting on the floor in front of my naked vajayjay. Just didn't expect it, but was knocked out so quickly afterwards I got over it.

I was also surprised at how much pain I had down in the groin area. She did alot of lipo down there and that's actually where my worse bruising was. I couldn't sleep in a comfortable position for about three weeks because I would get a severe shooting pain down in my groin if I rolled over to my side. The strange pain happened randomly during the day, but always happened when my sleeping body tried to roll onto my normal side sleeping position.

Remember, with the pain meds you'll be loopy for a while. Don't do anything that could be harmful if you fall asleep suddenly - like cook on the stove.

The numbness is kind of a weird thing too. It has come back alot, but there's still parts of me that feel like they are part of someone else's body.

Have some slippers you can just put your feet into easily. I was wearing flip flops all the time because it was May, but you don't want to get cold feet. You won't be able to bend, so slip on shoes and/or slippers are necessary.

You're so lucky to have your Mom helping. I look forward to seeing your before & afters and hearing that everything went well.

Take care and rest, rest, rest.

Sue

Wow. I made it. Definitely was a rough couple of days, but i've seen the bewbs and they are perky. belly is flat yet swollen, arms are great. my surgeon really did a fantastic job.

i had some trouble with the morphine, i lost a lot of blood volume (13.5 to 9.9)and it resulted in heart palpitations and sweats. So the switch to percocet wasn't smooth, spent a good portion of the day today in severe pain but it did all come together. I'm gonna have a longer recovery than I think.

Thanks for the well wishes...showering tomorrow and driving home. been a challenge, but I've been kicking butt.

thanks for the support everyone. sleepy time.