Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will You Be or Have You Had The H1N1 Shot

Have You or Will You be getting the H1N1 Shot?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Have You or Will You be getting the H1N1 Shot?

• I have had my shot, and would like every eligible person to have one too.
    • I haven't had one yet, but plan on getting one as soon as they become available.
    • I would never allow that vaccine to enter my body.
    • I am undecided.

I woke up this morning with a swollen throat, :Yawn: and I am sooo trying not to get ill because of having my surgery Nov 24th.

I go to college, where my classes at times are almost 1/3 empty due to the flu:sad:, so I practice ( as well as I can) hand washing, hand sanitizing, and avoiding as much as I can those who are obviously ill.

With that all said, I would never have the shot for H1N1, I have and don't plan to ever allow any vaccine for any flu to enter my body.:laugh: :lol: That is just my personal choice, but I wonder if I am alone.

I had mine on Thursday...I work in the health care field so I was eligible right away....initially I didn't want the vaccine as I felt in had not been researched enough...then one of our Dr's talked me into it.

I personally had a severe allergic reaction to the seasonal flu vaccine several years ago, so I have not gotten any flu shots since, this one included. I work in health care, with patients, but I'm going to take my chances. I don't think it's been researched enough. In a few years, I may consider getting my daughter vaccinated, but right now, I feel that it's too new. Who knows how many people are going to end up with Guillian-Barre as a result? I don't know. And neither do the experts yet. I say give it a few years, and then I'll see. But I'm healthy, and my daughter has one rocking immune system (4 years old, and never been to the doc for a sick visit--she's been sick, but nothing severe enough to warrant a dr visit). So that's my two cents for what it's worth. But ultimately you have to do what you feel is right for you.

Great, I woke up with a swollen throat this morning =( Technically I am the MOST at risk, I'm overweight, I have a lung disease and I'm on immuno supressant medication but I won't be getting it. Mainly because this so called "vaccine" has been out less than a month so how does anyone know the side affects of it?

I work four our county public health and we gave about 600 vaccinations last week. We live in a very small county (pop. 5,000). Since I am in administration and not a hands-on medical person, I don't qualify in any of the high risk groups, but as soon as it is available, I will get it. Every Wed. we sit in on a teleconference with the Iowa State Dept. of Health in regard to H1N1. We learned last week that this vaccine went through more testing than the seasonal flu vaccine does annually. The seasonal flu vaccine isn't the same every year; it's made based on what flu the "experts" think will be going around. My grandson got the vaccination and his dad (my son) got H1N1, but thankfully Jarod didn't catch it, because he's got asthma. I'm sure the vaccination kept him from catching it from his dad.

My personal opinion is that in this "sue happy" world, the manufacturers wouldn't put it out there if they didn't feel it is safe.

As with seasonal influenza, Guillain-Barre syndrome is very rare, but possible.

It's a personal choice, though and I can understand why some people are reluctant to get it.

I have the regular flu shot every year although I had a bad reaction to it years ago but they have changes it since then. I won't get the H1N1 vaccine though...no specific reason.

I also got sick right before my surgery, like a 1 1/2 weeks before..I immediatley went to the doc and got on antibiotics. I was off of them about 4 days when I had my surgery and had no problems. I still wasn't 100% well but I did not want to postpone my surgery!

i wont take it right now. This is my first time taking the seasonal flu shot and the only reason I took it is just incase I my immune system is down with weight lost. Normally I don't get the flu (knock on wood)

The seaonal flu vaccine changes all of the time because there are so many different strains of the flu. Yes, this is a new vaccine, but often people are getting "new" vaccines and don't even realize it. I'm having surgery on 11/25 and I am going to ask my surgeon what he recommends.

I work at a hospital and Actually had swine flu in July when it first came around, Even if i didnt get it I wouldnt get the Vaccine, I think we over vaccanate(spelling?) its the flu.. Most people will get it and be fine in a few days..

I will be getting the H1N1 vaccine just as soon as I'm able. I'm a volunteer EMT for our fire district and am eligible to get the vaccine. (Our county's health department protocol does not allow the H1N1 vaccine within 30 days of the seasonal flu vaccine; I have to wait until 11/9 to get the vaccine.)

Oddly, I was running an evacuation center on Friday (we thought we had a poisonous gas leak in our district) and one of the evacuees had H1N1. Luckily for me she didn't get out of her car and I got her info from a distance.

For me, I really want the protection of the vaccine both so I don't get sick myself and also so I don't spread the virus.

Personally im not to worried about it...

i fit 3 out of the 5 criteria for "high risk" catagories.

-Asthmatic

-age 24

-healthcare worker.. im a Medical Assistant in a pediatrics office... so im exposed to it all the time..

If my work gets a shipment i'll get the vaccine and if not im not going looking for it..

Personally im not to worried about it...

i fit 3 out of the 5 criteria for "high risk" catagories.

-Asthmatic

-age 24

-healthcare worker.. im a Medical Assistant in a pediatrics office... so im exposed to it all the time..

If my work gets a shipment i'll get the vaccine and if not im not going looking for it..

I just read an article that the obese are dying at a higher rate than normal with H1N1 (higher than with regular seasonal flus). I see by your ticker that you don't have to add obesity to your list. Good for you!!

If there's enough vaccine left for those that don't fall into the critical categories, I'll be getting it. For one, there's unlike most flus, vomiting is one of the symptoms that some people have experienced. I definitely don't want to compromise my band with a bout of vomiting.

I almost always get the seasonal flu shot and have never experienced any adverse reactions. I never gave it too much thought until my husband came down with a regular flu several years ago and came too close for comfort to dying from double pneumonia. He was in not in any way shape or form in a high risk category. He was in his late 20s, physically fit, healthy in every way, yet that flu knocked him off his feet. As has been described, just as he was starting to recover, he suddenly got very very very ill, and presented with double pneumonia. Not only was his as sick as I had ever seen anyone (barring terminal illness), he caught everything coming and going for a full year. We had dated since we were teens, and before then, he never had a cold. The doctor said the flu/pneumonia had weakened his immune system, but that it would eventually recover. Thankfully, his immune system rebounded to normal, but we get our flu shots now.

I would never try to jump ahead of those in the high risk categories, but I'll be in line as soon as there's a a-okay for the rest of us. I understand it's a personal decision, and I don't fault anyone for being reluctant to get it, but weighing the odds for myself, I'm going for the vaccine, if the darn thing ever becomes available for the general public.

Edited by kiz