Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress and Band Tightness

Please confirm that stress tightens the band. I had my last fill back in March '09 (7.5 cc in a 10 cc band). I had also lost my job in March. The weight didn't come off right away. I had days when I ate well, but as the months passed, my appetite and ability to eat well have decreased. I can only eat a few bites of food and then feel like PB'ing. Sometimes I catch it, sometimes I don't. I have a Protein shake for Breakfast (usually takes about 3 hours to drink 10 oz). Sometimes, I'll have a Yoplait "Whips" yogurt, which is "light as air" and it takes me about 1 hour to finish. I'll have broiled fish for dinner, but can only eat a few bites with a couple of tbsp mashed potatoes.

My mouth starts to fill up with saliva, which is usually an indication that the band is tight, or I am too full, but this didn't happen to me when I had my last fill in March - only for the past 3-4 months or so. I told my doctor that some days I eat well, and some days I can only eat crackers. He said this is normal.

Any advice?

When I am stressed it seems that my band rally gets tight, I too can develope a thick mucus substance and I ahve to PB it up and when it comes out it is like a clear bubble of yuck. Also if I exercise too much in my tummy area I will tighten up. I was not sure of this so I did an experiment and suce enough the folowing day I was really tight but it went away a day or so later. I was banded with the lap band 25 months ago. I ost my first 100 pounds really fast and I ahve been at the same weight for over a year now and I am so ready to give it all up. I exercise and this keeps my size down. I can fit into a 10/12 which is great but I would like to see the 150 pound mark someday. I weigh in at 180 pounds. I ahve ben filled adn un filled and I get so depressed over this. I am thinking about asking the Dr. next month for a new band or to submit to my insurance group for the actuall bypass surgery for I have been failing over a year now. No matter what I do I cannot seem to lse any more weight and no one just stops losing weight not for 16 months. I have weighed 180 pounds since May 2008

Stress definitely makes me tighter. Tighter in the mornings than in the afternoons. Tighter during PMS.

If you're frustrated because you can't eat well and you're eating junk, you should probably have a little unfill.

My band does tighten up when I am under stress or not feeling well. I do not binge on foods that I am not supposed to have. The Dr. has no idea why this happens to me. I generally begin to tighten up 2 or 3 weeks after I have had a fill. I don't eat in between meals and I omit all sweets, sodas, etc.

When I am stressed it seems that my band rally gets tight, I too can develope a thick mucus substance and I ahve to PB it up and when it comes out it is like a clear bubble of yuck. Also if I exercise too much in my tummy area I will tighten up. I was not sure of this so I did an experiment and suce enough the folowing day I was really tight but it went away a day or so later. I was banded with the lap band 25 months ago. I ost my first 100 pounds really fast and I ahve been at the same weight for over a year now and I am so ready to give it all up. I exercise and this keeps my size down. I can fit into a 10/12 which is great but I would like to see the 150 pound mark someday. I weigh in at 180 pounds. I ahve ben filled adn un filled and I get so depressed over this. I am thinking about asking the Dr. next month for a new band or to submit to my insurance group for the actuall bypass surgery for I have been failing over a year now. No matter what I do I cannot seem to lse any more weight and no one just stops losing weight not for 16 months. I have weighed 180 pounds since May 2008

I was told that the average lapband patient loses about 60% of their excess weight. Perhaps you did better than average! At least you are maintaining that tremendous loss and must feel a ton better. You have done very well.

I actually had an argument with my dr. about ths yesterday. I went in for a deflation and was treated badly by him. He insinuated that I just wanted an unfill to eat. I had mentioned to him that a few weeks ago I had actually made my appt. for a fill, but a very stressful event happened that coincided with PMS and all of the sudden my band became tighter and tighter to the point of not even being able to drink Water comfortably the last few days! He told me that it couldn't be stress. He said it would be like saying that my head is talking to my lapband. I was very offended by his attitude. I had even just spoken to a female employee at his office who has the lapband and before I even said anything about my stress, she asked my if something stressful had happened that upset me. It wasn' even the first time that a terrible tightening happened along side great stress for me.

I asked my Dr. and his very good nurse about the same thing and I was told yes stress can cause the band to tighten up. I asked my friend a nurse this same question she said that when we become stressed and I mean very stressed our internal organs can swell up. I get stressed and boom the band tightens up like a vice..I was told if this happens to go back on the Clear Liquids for a few days until things settle down. I ahve had so many fills and then un fills as I call them it is not even funny anymore due to this. The last one was about two weeks ago. I seen a new Dr. in May and he did not fill me, he just checked me out. I started to cough at night and get reflux my last fill was in mid March so I know what I was experiencing was not from the last fill. The new Dr. said that I am a crammer a packer that I eat and gulp my food, well I ahve never done that not in my entire life. I eat slowly and chew very well more so since I ahve been banded. He also told me I had a mega esophagus well without the upper GI unless he had x ray vision there is not way to diagnose that and well my esophagus had been dialiated a few times in the past but it was diagnosed after the swallow test was done. He started talking about how the esophagus could rupture and I could die and how I needed to have surgery and a revision well I don't think so. He took out 1 cc and well I have been fine ever since and am I going back to him?? oh heck no I am going back to my original Dr. that did the band and I should have never left his practice and di the other Dr. ever order up the GI test? no he did not I have not heard back from him or his office. So don't let anyone tell you that your doing stuff that your not doing at all.

Gosh, some of you guys have a**holes for doctors.

Anybody WITH a band on their stomach will know that stress does indeed cause it to tighten. I dont care if they can explain it in medical terms or not, but I think surgeon or no, doctors that dont have a band themselves have a lot they can learn from their patients.

So firstly, stress does tighten the band and that is normal.

But you are WAY too tight if that's the way you're eating. It just shouldnt take 3 hours to drink a Protein shake, that's super duper tight and its no good for your health or the health of your band. You really should think about an unfill.

I always swell when I am stressed out which is often and when I have my period. Everytime. My doctor was surprized by the period issue but knew about the stress issue!! I stay a bit loose so that once a month I don't have to deal with being so tight I can't drink Water. Been there done that twice and not willing to do it again!!