Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters 2009

You are doing great Melinco! That was a good scale story. I found a new body pain that is a good pain. No I'm not into pain but it's like this: I am on day 10 of a strict Protein Shakes only in the preop diet. I've been sitting in front of this computer on a hard chair for over 30 minutes just like always only since last night I've noticed that my tail bone and back side is killing me when I stand. Then I finally relaized some of the natural padding I used to sit on has gone I started to laugh. You see, it is a good pain. Now i use a pillow. Who needs scales. Your new self will remind you of these little victories when you realize that hey I couldn't do this or that before.

Wow I see a lot of things on this forum that hits home. I guess you have to walk in our collective shoes to understand.

Cawells you hit on something. It is the reason I have chosen not to tell anyone my plans. Not coworkers or family because it is a case of NONYA!! I only told my wife reluctantly because that would be difficult to pull off even though telling her anything is like taking out a Super Bowl commercial. I don't need anyone's opinion, advice, or whispers that oh he took the easy way out. We all know that is doo doo. If anyone asks how or even why I lost weight I get to use one of my numerous smart a** answers and that is the end of it. Like I don't know ever since I was with that skinny ho with all the sores I've really been dropping the pounds. If I am felling even a little bit serious, which is rare, I say I switched to eating healthy stuff, oh yeah and smoking the crack makes it easier. Sorry couldn't resist.

i too, am not telling many people. my husband knows, and my mom because she's driving me to the hospital, and my dad, because my mom can't keep her mouth shut, my boss because i'm going to need the time off work, and one fat understanding friend. i just don't need the disapproving looks, or the constant scrutiny of every morsel i may or may not put into my mouth, or the questions of "well you had surgery, why aren't you losing weight any faster" or "so when are you supposed to start losing weight" etc. etc. etc. if in the future someone asks me if i've had the band, i do not intend to lie about it, but i will not be giving with the information. i will tell them the truth--that i'm eating less and exercising more. and that's all they need to know.

It has been forever since I have checked in. I am now on day 7 of my liquid diet and I am down 18 pounds. I had no idea I could lose that much weight that fast. I have surgery in one week and I am so ready. This weight loss definitely has me motivated!!

I am so not looking forward to all the Christmas goodies that will be staring at my as we visit family this holiday season. But so far I have made some goodies around here and haven't even had 1 bite of it.

motomom - good luck. I couldn't imagine pumping and dumping. When I started this journey my little one was 6 months old and only breastfed. I was so paranoid of being banded and bf'ing. I even made a post about it. Luckily it is very doable!

Way to go!!!!! You should be so proud of your success.

That is a lot for 7 days. What are you allowed to eat?

Good LUCK to all.

that's terrific! love those lines.. i, too, have told no one but my mother. my deal is i'm on Optifast to lose all this excess weight to be healthy in 2010. i read somewhere else where you should say you had gallbladder surgery, if you need to explain the hospital.

it's no one's business unless they've walked in those shoesl

sorry -- that last post was to be addressed to sluggo; i appreciate your humor! and i'm also old enough to remember "mr. bill"!

lisa

Hi December Bandster, I'm schedule to banded on 12/4/09! Was approved by my insurance company today! Nervous and excited all at the same time.

My friend that had lap band done a couple years back gave me some good advice today when she came to visit...

She said to measure your body parts. Keep track so when the scale isn't moving you can see if you are losing inches and not just weight.

She also said to take pictures, a lot. So you can see your progress. She didn't and wishes everyday that she had her old fat pics to look at to see how far she's come. She also said save your biggest pants so you can hold them out like the commercials LOL when you lose all your weight.

I had a pretty good day at work educating people on my surgery. I took in my nutrition book I got from class last night and showed everyone my diet plan. Everyone was surprised the intensity of the plan and most of them didnt realize it was a lifelong commitment. I think they thought after you lost weight, you could eat whatever you wanted. I even had 2 people say, "Wow, you really have to work hard" and "I dont think I could eat like that for the rest of my life". I felt real good with the responses.

I think if you are going to tell people, show them your plan, nutrition list, everything. Answer questions and dont act unsure of yourself. It will only make it look like you are ashamed of taking control of your life. I was happy.:) I was proud. :eek: It was a good day. :thumbdown:

Swangal - oh yeah, thats exactly what we're doing. You dont really see the day to day loss but when you look at pics, you really see it. Saturday we start our 1 week pre op diet so tomorrow night we are going for our last Italian feast. Then we are going to do the pictures and measuring. Cant wait to get started.

Wow! 18 lbs already??? Were you on just Protein shakes..Ive only lost like 3..and my surgery is the 11th. I have to travel 4 1/2 away to have mine done..so hope the ride home the next day wont be too rough...

thanks for the information on the pop, I need to wean myself off ...I did that once last year and drank ice tea instead..so know I can do it again.. I certainly don't want to go through all of this and then do it all wrong. Good Luck tomorrow!

POPPYred

Hi Poppy, Yes, I was on an all liquid Protein diet. I had to have 5 Protein Shakes a day and then I could have SF Jello, SF popcicles, broth/bouillon, and Crystal Light. I had very little pain after surgery, hopefully your ride home won't be too bad. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! let us know how it goes!!

I understand everyones reluctance of telling people. I decided to tell everyone and anyone. I started blogging about it today on my blog where all my friends and family see it. I am sure to tell everyone and anyone. Why? Because I've known people to show up 3 months later and have lost 50 lbs and claim "it's just diet and exercise". Bull! And it just made me feel like crap that I can't do that. I don't want to be responsible for making other women feel bad. I know how it made me feel when others claimed it was so easy, "just diet and exercise". When later to find out they lied. I want to show people that the surgery can save their life and sure it's a sacrifice but if diets & exercise isn't working, they need to do something drastic that will save their life. If I needed a kidney transplant to save my life, I'd do it and wouldn't think twice about it. I feel the Lap band is the same thing.

Having that said, I know the people ya'll are talking about; the ones who whisper and talk smack. To heck with them, they are just jealous. Just turn your heads to those people because you and I know this isn't the easy way out, it's the hardest thing anyone can do none the less someone obese. And people who talk smack are ignorant on the topic. Don't argue with fools, you'll just be in good company at that point. ;-)

Good luck everyone, WE CAN DO THIS!!

I understand everyones reluctance of telling people. I decided to tell everyone and anyone. I started blogging about it today on my blog where all my friends and family see it. I am sure to tell everyone and anyone. Why? Because I've known people to show up 3 months later and have lost 50 lbs and claim "it's just diet and exercise". Bull! And it just made me feel like crap that I can't do that. I don't want to be responsible for making other women feel bad. I know how it made me feel when others claimed it was so easy, "just diet and exercise". When later to find out they lied. I want to show people that the surgery can save their life and sure it's a sacrifice but if diets & exercise isn't working, they need to do something drastic that will save their life. If I needed a kidney transplant to save my life, I'd do it and wouldn't think twice about it. I feel the LAP-BAND® is the same thing.

Having that said, I know the people ya'll are talking about; the ones who whisper and talk smack. To heck with them, they are just jealous. Just turn your heads to those people because you and I know this isn't the easy way out, it's the hardest thing anyone can do none the less someone obese. And people who talk smack are ignorant on the topic. Don't argue with fools, you'll just be in good company at that point. ;-)

Good luck everyone, WE CAN DO THIS!!

I felt the same way! I really debated telling people or not. There's a woman I work with that tried to tell everyone her weight loss was "diet and exercise", but, we knew she had the band. That irritated me. I told a few people about the band and the word spread about it and to be honest, I'm happily surprised at the support I've been getting for it! Even from my 85-year-old traditional grandma is on the "band

wagon! It was easier for me to go through with everything and to keep going with everyone knowing that there are family and friends rallying behind me! It's a great feeling! And you're right, we CAN do this!

Hi Poppy, Yes, I was on an all liquid Protein diet. I had to have 5 Protein shakes a day and then I could have SF Jello, SF popcicles, broth/bouillon, and Crystal Light. I had very little pain after surgery, hopefully your ride home won't be too bad. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! let us know how it goes!!

Hi All!

Im in my hotel room..tomorrow is the day! My hubbie is alot more nervous than I am! He got pale while talking with the doctor today...and keeps asking me if Im sure I want to do this...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Ive wanted to do this for two years..hope he calms down soon! He said he would NEVER do this...but he has only like 40 lbs to lose...doesnt know how it feels being 5 1 and loading around 100 extra lbs...after I explained that ..I think he is beginning to understand...I'm so excited that I cant be nervous...Im sure about 2:30 tomorrow, I'll start my nervousness!

For all those that are having surgery tomorrow..Im right there with ya! POPPYRED:thumbup:

Hi All!

Im in my hotel room..tomorrow is the day! My hubbie is alot more nervous than I am! He got pale while talking with the doctor today...and keeps asking me if Im sure I want to do this...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Ive wanted to do this for two years..hope he calms down soon! He said he would NEVER do this...but he has only like 40 lbs to lose...doesnt know how it feels being 5 1 and loading around 100 extra lbs...after I explained that ..I think he is beginning to understand...I'm so excited that I cant be nervous...Im sure about 2:30 tomorrow, I'll start my nervousness!

For all those that are having surgery tomorrow..Im right there with ya! POPPYRED:thumbup:

Good luck Poppy! Try to get some slep tonight, if you can! My fiance was a little nervous for me too, but, I think when I cam out of surgery with flying colors, he was a little better! Good luck and let us know how it goes! My biggest complaint right now is the bloating from all the air, but, it's working it's way through my system! Keep us posted!