Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 CC pouch WHAT? Does my doc want me to shrivel away?

Ok so I have to admit that I didnt have to go through all the crazy appointments to see tons of doctors and other people to get the lap band surgery ( which I think people should be more greatful for as it gives you more interaction with people to ask more questions and have conversation about the surgery otucome etc). It was actually very easy ( as I am in Korea). In saying that I see now that I missed a lot of things I should have asked and/or done and doubled checked BEFORE my surgery. Anyways I swear that I asked my doctor before about the pouch but today we were just chatting and he mentioned the pouch and I said well its bigger then this model right ( he has a body model to explain the stomach, band etc) and he said no remember it is this size. I thought he was joking. Then he told me my pouch can only hold 10 CC thats nothing! Thats prob not even 1/3 of a cup! I thought it was like half a cup size ( well that is how much Soup etc I would measure out though never eat it all). Now I know I have def stretched my pouch already and i am only 2 weeks post op EEEKKK.

How big are everyone else's pouches? I always hear 1/2 cup or 1 cup measurements to eat.

10cc is the band not the pouch. IT holds the saline. The pouch above is the Stoma and it holds the food as it slowly passes through, which gives you a full feeling. You don't lose a stomach and the whole point is to eat less.

I actually have an 11 cc band apparently but I asked the doctor how muchbove the band can the "pouch hold" he said 10cc quantity before it goes below

FWIW, my doctor has told me that it is actually VERY unusual for LB patients to stretch their pouch and that he only sees this with his gastric bypass patients...I would be willing to bet your pouch is fine and that you would have pb-ed if you had overdone it w/portion size.

Since you are only 2 weeks post op, I am sure you are still on liquids or mashed like foods, although your space above your pouch is 10cc or so, that doesn't mean the food you are eating today is staying above that the entire time you are eating.

Once you start getting your fills in your band, you will start to feel fuller sooner because the space above your band is so small, but most of us don't feel that till you start getting fills, this is a time of healing and liquids cross the barrier between your upper and lower stomach much faster at this point. I am sure you are fine, but talk to your doctors office if you still have questions.

I can tell you for me I was able to pretty much eat anything up till my first fill restricted me from eating and drinking at the same time and after my second fill all breads were out of the picture. I can still eat more but I do feel the food move through the restricted space however not unbearable.

I hope this helps.

I may be converting this wrong, but I found that 10cc equals .34 ounces. That's like two teaspoons. I used a couple of online conversion sites. (I'm sorry if I got it wrong).

FWIW...my pouch holds 1/2 cup.

I may be converting this wrong, but I found that 10cc equals .34 ounces. That's like two teaspoons. I used a couple of online conversion sites. (I'm sorry if I got it wrong).

FWIW...my pouch holds 1/2 cup.

No, you're right. And yes, my pouch holds a lot more than that!