Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight - very frusterated

Hey surfergirl I know what it's like being stuck in a rut. Only think I can think of is start journaling your daily diet (livestrong.com is pretty good) and take it from there. you may not be taking in enough calories or may be taking in too many. An occasional treat won't hurt you. Granted none of us want to make a habit of it but every once in a while it's okay. I just make sure I exercise a little more when I do give in. Good luck hope it turns around for you. I'm sure getting your next fill will help too.

Surgergirl...Don't flip out....It might just be taking you longer and eating dessert and wine won't make that huge of a difference if it's every once in a while. I had surgery 12/08 and I've almost lost 50 pounds. I have a 10 cc band have it filled 6.25 cc's. My doctor has always said that you should be able to live a normal life with the band, not give up everything....So don't be down on yourself. I know ppl who had the surgery around the same time as me and have lost double what I have, but I don't care. I'm still losing weight, feeling fabulous and not racing!!!! You're doing just fine Im sure, don't doubt yourself, your band will start kicking in soon!!!!

Well I agree with my doctor as far as stating that the surgery is only a 10 percent effort in your weigh loss. The surgery does not stop you or anyone from eating "bad" food, you do! the surgery just controls how much of it you can eat. However, you can eat all the slider foods on earth and in essence it is your choice to eat all the "Easy to go down" food/liquids such as ice cream, soda..etc. Just because you have the surgery does not mean your not going to eat cake! Its your effort.

Well the calculation worked for me, I lost 120 lbs 10 months post-op.

Someone on LBT once said something like "successful Bandsters are the ones who figure out its not 'how much can I eat' with the band, its 'how little can I eat.'" I think this is true. At first, I tested the band, and found out pretty quickly that I could eat way more than I need to. But the band has helped with my cravings and hunger, and that helps me to make better choices and to choose to see how little I can eat, not how much.

That said, I would be pissed about no weight loss at all. Seems like you may just need more of a fill. Tracking calories helps too - another thing I resisted for a while.

Good luck, hope it gets better.

I think the band is at least 50% and your own effort is 50%. You have to ramp up your effort when you are not at your sweet spot.

I am at my sweet spot and since I cant eat very much food (prob 3/4 cup or it gets painful) I have to use my effort to make good choices to be healthy in terms of protein.However if I really want chocolate cake or Halloween candy I will just go ahead and have a small amount and just get over myself...next meal I will go for the Protein. I am NOT on a diet!!!

First of all hang in there you will be ok I promise. Its hard at first when you are trying to get the proper restriction and still are eating more than the 4 oz they ask us to eat. Second you only have 45 to lose. I can tell you from personal experience, when I only had that amount left to lose the weight was Stubborn!!!! A glass of wine now and then wont kill you. Its like 200 cals and neither will a dessert. IN FACT its good to treat yourself once in awhile so you dont binge. Everything in moderation is key. THe things I would look at right now is how big are your portions? are you weighing, measuring? What is the exercise intake? with only 45 to lose you may have to exercise and kick that up more to start weight loss. I do understand your frustrated but I would suggest calling your doc and reviewing a plan of action so you can start seeing some results! I wish you the best of luck

Surfergirl....you originally stated that you are working out and training....have you taken into account that if you are excersising muscle has more mass then fat??

Someone else has already said this but...how are your clothes fitting you? We can't be chained to our scales and use them to determine our sucess or failure.

This is a process and you should consider yourself still in the toodler stage, you are learning how to adjust to your new lifestyle. You are going to make mistakes and have regrets, but it is how YOU chose to face your plate after your mistakes that will make all the difference.

I too believe that you do not have to become a "food nazi" to be sucsessful, but everyone has their own style of taking control of their lives, and I think if we are all honset with ourselves we chose the band as a way to help us take back control.

Good luck to you, if you are following your doctors guidelines and moving your butt (off the couch) then your sucess is coming, just be patient (I know NOT what you want to hear) and keep doing what you are doing!!

Now that I am thinking about it, with only 45 to lose you may be in "goal limbo'...check out band_groupie 's blog with that title a couple of days ago...

Wow, some people can be kind of harsh. It really all depends on how often and how much of these "bad" items you are having. My doctor and the dietician that works in his office have said that it's all about moderation, you can have almost anything in moderation. The dietician has said that if you completely cut yourself off then you'll just want it that much more. I was given the ok to have an occasional glass of red wine after 6wks. I also did have a small piece, about a 2 or 4 bit piece of bday cake at a friends homecoming party.............I didn't have the big ole' chunk that I would have had in the past, just a small piece. Should we completely cut out things that we like and wait 6months down the road to try them again and then possibly gorge on them because it's been so long and tastes so good, or should we just try to moderate now????????? My dietician told me to think of my calories like the money in my checking acct.....................and to choose wisely how I spend those calories, she said you want to get the most bang for your buck, so you want to use those few calories you can eat by making wise choices and pick things that will give your body the most nutrition..........however it's ok to splurge on something a little extra every now and then. So I just stick to that advice. It's totally unrealistic to say I"M NEVER EVER GONNA EAT THAT AGAIN.

BTW, yes, I know i haven't lost alot of weight myself, but i've only had 1 fill of 1.5cc...............so I hardly have any restriction at all and I'm having a rough time. Just because somene says that they have had a bite of bday cake doesn't mean that they are gorging on those things and making bad food choices.

I can relate to you alot on this post!! I thought of posting myself the same thing but I too was apprehensive of the people who like to jump on their high horse and say that you aren't doing your part because your weight has stalled or you haven't lost the weight. Yes I have lost 30 pounds and was banded in August but in my opinion, I should have lost alot more. Do i exercise? yes Do I eat cake or ice cream? occassionally and i mean maybe once a month if that. I often have to remind myself that just because I excelled in something does not mean that the person struggling in it is not trying. it just means, that person is having a different journey than i am. And I know for a fact that no two journeys with this lapband is the same. Some lose weight immediately, some do not. If you are self sabatoging, then correct that. If you are not doing your part, then correct that. But ultimately, I think you need to find out what works for you with this band and make it happen. If the occassional ice cream is the culprit then maybe cut it out and see if there is a difference. I wish you the best of luck and know that there are ALOT of people still struggling with this tool but still would not trade the experience for the world. I struggle everyday and I am here if you need me. I don't own a high horse! I still weigh too much to get on it!!!:biggrin::tt2:

Having a hard time as well. Had surgery in June but only lost 20 lbs so far. Was told to exercise more. I'm up to about 5 miles a day. Am still hungry all the time and was told last week my port has flipped. Has anyone had this happen? Paid for the surgery myself so now not sure if I should have fixed or removed. I know the band is only a tool to help you but I keep a food diary now after seeing a nutritionist and I still am not seeing the pounds go down:sad:

I am going into my third year with the band. I am down 60 pounds and still have 20 to go. I lost 40 my first year and 20 my second. The band is a very slow process and I think all of us see bypass people with massive and rapid weight loss and want the same. I cannot stress the importance of getting your fills until you feel restricted. It decreases your hunger feeling so you are satisfied more easily. I do not worry too much about what I eat. I have not been "on a diet" for the first time in years since having the band and I am just trying to learn to eat like my skinny friends do. I have a sliver of cake and usually only eat half of that. It feels so good not to be so obsessed with food like I was before the band. Everyone will find their own way and I just hope everyone can find the patience to enjoy the journey...it can be very frustrating at times but usually ends well!

Having a hard time as well. Had surgery in June but only lost 20 lbs so far. Was told to exercise more. I'm up to about 5 miles a day. Am still hungry all the time and was told last week my port has flipped. Has anyone had this happen? Paid for the surgery myself so now not sure if I should have fixed or removed. I know the band is only a tool to help you but I keep a food diary now after seeing a nutritionist and I still am not seeing the pounds go down:sad:

Dear Ibutor,

Sorry to jack the thread off topic but I was a self pay also and I am wondering if you would have to self pay for that too or is there any way it would be covered by insurance or even the doc for not tacking it down right? Have they given you a clue on what it will cost? Good luck...

wow, that was a really rude response to someone struggling!!

If i had the willpower or desire for that matter to cut out all dessert/wine from my diet completely on my own, do you think i would have shelled out $16,500 from my checking account to be banded? The band is a tool - i get that. It isn't going to do it for me. I'm working out (training for a triathlon) and eating healthy! I certainly doubt a glass of wine on a saturday night or a few bites of a dessert once in awhile will completely screw everything up.

You're all or nothing attitude could evenutally get you in to trouble, so be careful. And maybe think through your responses to others on this board. We're all in this together, you know.

as a fellow self payee i agree with you!