Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about being "too restricted"

Hello. I had a fill on Oct. 9th that is currently kicking my butt! I can tell that I am almost too tight, if not too tight.

Almost because I can eat--very little, but still, I can eat.

Almost because I can drink--very little, especially in the morning, but I can drink.

Too tight because I developed a night cough and acid reflux which I am treating with over the counter drugs and apple cidar vinegar.

Too tight because I PB/vomit more than 3 times a day--once on Protein drink with two pills.

My question is: Okay, I'm almost too tight, but I've lost more than 10 pounds in less than two weeks. Won't this weight loss (and more loss in the future) "loosen" my band a bit so that I don't need an unfill?

I really don't want to get an unfill primarily because it entails a lengthy drive in DC traffic!

BTW, when I called my doctor's office last week (only about 5 days after the fill), they told me to wait two weeks before thinking about getting an unfill. At that point I was more uncomfortable than I am now.

Will weight loss alone do the trick?

If my surgeon heard your symptoms, he would want you in his office immediately for a slight unfill. I went through the same thing last month, and it continued to get worse instead of better. I finally went in for a very slight unfill and the relief was instant! I will never live with that pain again.

I say call your doctor now... don't wait!

HTH :cursing:

PS - I live in the DC area, too, so I understand the traffic issue, but I think this is a case where you should say traffic be damned, my health is more important!

Edited by SpideyMom
PS

Boy, I can understand wanting to avoid DC traffic at all costs. I know that pb'ing can cause band irritation which could lead to swelling which causes a vicious cycle. If you stayed on fluids only for 48 hours, maybe your band would loosen a little if you do have swelling. Then start with soft foods again for two days before trying solid foods. If that doesn't work, you really shouldn't try to wait this out longer. My doctor also says at the most wait two weeks. You don't want to risk future complications from having a too tight band. Even if you have to go back in for a tiny unfill, I'd want to let my stomach rest a day or two on fluids just to make sure any swelling has subsided. However, if you can't get fluids down at this point, you need to get back into see your doctor, even if it means fighting that beltway traffic nightmare.

Quote: Too tight because I developed a night cough and acid reflux which I am treating with over the counter drugs and apple cidar vinegar.

Too tight because I PB/vomit more than 3 times a day--once on Protein drink with two pills.

My question is: Okay, I'm almost too tight, but I've lost more than 10 pounds in less than two weeks. Won't this weight loss (and more loss in the future) "loosen" my band a bit so that I don't need an unfill?

night cough and acid reflux are strong indications that you are too tight. Continued acid reflux will destroy the lining of your esophagus and can lead to esophageal cancer. A dear friend of mine is dying because he ignored reflux ... later told us he thought it was "not a big deal".

Will your band loosen up? MAYBE; MAYBE NOT. And eventually you may find yourself trying to avoid the PBs and stuck episodes by eating slider foods....and the weight loss will slow down significantly or even stop. I know. I was there for two long months (actually, almost three) where I kept telling myself it was getting looser. But I was getting stuck multiple times per day and PBing at least once per meal. And when it came down to me losing 9 pounds over three months, well, it was time to take action.

It took the removal on JUST .2CCS to fix it.

I've only had one fill thus far, so am not as experienced as others. However, my doc has advised me to report any acid reflux or night coughing to him immediately.

It really sounds like your too tight. I had a couple of your symptoms a few weeks after my last fill and wondered if I was too tight. Then I had a stuck episode where I spent 2 hours in the bathroom and nursed by band for 6 weeks. Now looking back, I was too tight. I just didn't want to get any fill taken out. I could always eat chicken, bread, and many things that bandsters have trouble with. But I also had reflux from time to time, sliming, and a constant gurgle when eating or drinking anything. Mine finally started to loosen up about 10 days ago, but it's been over 2 1/2 months since my last fill. So, to be honest, knowing what I know now, I would have went and got a little taken out. There is no reason to suffer through that, and if it is causing you to eat slider foods or not get enough liquid in, you're going to set yourself up for future problems by eating the wrong things or dehydration (which makes the band even tighter).

I didn't have near the restriction problems that you seem to be having and I was concerned. Please think about getting a slight unfill. The pbing and reflux really isn't nothing to sneeze about and shouldn't be happening that frequently.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really need a small unfill. Guess I'll call the doctor today!

The reflux is the worst thing since I can't sleep.

Betel very good deal. I’m glad you’ve decided to get an unfill.

Take care of yourself and your band. Tighter isn’t always necessarily better for a great many reasons.

Best wishes to you!