Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Defill w/ abdominal surgery

I know most everyone gets a total defill with any abdominal surgeries, but I'm wondering if anyone got a TT and DIDN'T get their band defilled, and what the consequences were? My clinic says I would be way too tight because of the swelling and therefore would get easily dehydrated. Any feedback?

Hi:

I wouldn't risk it because there can be alot of swelling with TT. I have nausea issues with anesthesia, so there was no way I wouldn't get an unfill. Even with all of the extra anti-nausea meds they gave me I was still dry heaving for the first 24 hours post op. I got unfilled the day before Tummy Tuck and got refilled about 3 weeks after tummy tuck. I had to wait until I could stand the pain of the position I need to be in to get a fill - very stretched out.

Good luck with your tummy tuck. I'm very glad that I had one.

Sue

Hi:

Maybe you should ask your band surgeon what he/she thinks about it. Also, if you don't get unfilled, can they unfill you right away if you need it? They probably can, but it may be difficult to get into the right position for an unfill if your stomach is full of stitches. Let us know how you make out with it. I'll be wishing you the best. What day is your Tummy Tuck?

I wish you'd gotten more responses to your posting.

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

I would get the unfill. The swelling from surgery will probably leave you a little restricted anyway. I had a hysterectomy last December and was told I didn't need one by my surgeon, who called my band surgeon and asked. I only had 2ccs and it left me too tight for a month.

hi skinnysue,

i had TT and Breast Lift this past May and didnt have my band unfilled.

i checked with both my lapband surgeon and my plastic surgeon and they both said i didnt need to have it unfilled.

i was concerned if i was nauseous what would happen..... but they gave me enough anti-naseau meds. i was a little bit but ate crackers and that helped me.

in the end....i was fine.

if i were you i would check with your surgeon's.

before my operation, my plan was to follow whatever my

lap band doctor recommended in case they had differing opinions.

good luck on your surgery.

josie

Thanks for your replies. I am trying to talk the band clinic into just giving me a partial defill. Don't really think they'll co-operate though. They're always so over cautious aren't they? My TT, Sue, is Jan. 7/10. Going for my pre-surgical appt. Nov. 4 so will see what the PS thinks. We sure are protective of our bands aren't we?

Hi Skinnysue, I just had my pre-op yesterday for a full Tummy Tuck and a mons lift. I am not getting unfilled. My band doctor told me that if I need one, I will be in the hospital and they would do it then. I am a little restricted because I am coming off of a cold, but my last fill was in August. So we will see. My doctor's told me that they would rather keep us filled if we can because then we do not have to worry about gain weight while trying to heal from major surgery, as long as we can get all of the food in and keep it in. :thumbup: Good luck to you and be sure to ask your doctor. :crying:

Katie K.

I did NOT get a "defill" before my Tummy Tuck, Lipo and thigh lift. I went to Costa Rica on the advice of my bariatric surgeon. It was a GOOD choice. The price was great, the doctors wonderful, the clinic spotless and modern. I am now 3 weeks out and if it wasn't for the "airplane" flu I caught on the way back I would be great! But, I did NOT get a "defill", I could not see the reason, and I was TIGHT. There is swelling to be sure, but I did not notice any difference in my band. The biggest hurdle with the band was actually the PORT because when you wear the compression garment for 5 weeks, the port sticks way up and I have to keep massaging my midriff over so that it sits "down" and behaves itself. Otherwise, it can be a little touchy being squished like that. Good luck!! Denise

PS..one thing I DID do was to make very very clear that I ALWAYS get sick from anaesthesia..ALWAYS. I must have said that 20 times and they kept telling me they would make sure I did not. Okay, so for the first time EVER whatever they gave me worked and I did NOT get nauseated from the surgery at all. BTW, I know it's unusual, but I also didn't have any pain and I needed NO pain relief!!! When they said what was your pain level, I looked at them and said I don't have ANY. I had a lot from the lapband surgery after I got infected, but this...slight discomfort..NO PAIN. But, that's probably unusual. One note: I started Iron pills, heavy doses of Protein and Vitamins 6 weeks in advance. That way when I lost the blood, and you DO lose a lot of blood with Lipo, I did NOT have to have a transfusion. I was the only person there staying in my recovery center that did not have to have a transfusion. So, do your homework beforehand and it will save you a lot afterwards. And, if you don't want a transfusion, take the iron (I can't usually take it because of the runs, but I just put up with it), take the vitamins, take the Protein Drinks and TELL them you do not want a transfusion unless it's an emergency. D.

deepinfl...i had very similar experience to you re: hardly any pain with plastic surgery compared to lap band and also not really nauseous with PS compared to previous surgeries. i was deathly nauseous with the lap band surgery.

josie