Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kansas City Area avoid Dr. Selim & KU Med

Just a warning to anyone looking for a doctor in the Kansas City area. I went to the seminar and waited months to see Dr. Niazy Selim at University of Kansas Medical Center. I had one appointment and was told all my paperwork looked in good order. Dr. Selim's comment was, "I wish all my patients had things as well organized as you do. It should take about a week to get everything sent in to your insurance." I waited two weeks and heard nothing so I contacted my insurance and was told they had received nothing. I asked them to contact my surgeon and find out what was wrong. They tried for weeks without satisfactory results. I called and emailed several times trying to find out what the hold up was. Once I was told to let them handle it and relax. Twice I was told all had been sent in.

Last week (nearly 3 months after my appointment), they told my insurance nurse that my case had been closed. I called the Patient Advocate at the hospital and was told, "They decided they could not develop a theraputic relationship with you, so they closed your case." I had two questions - Why? and - Why wasn't I informed? I was told (1) that my insurance was too difficult to deal with, (2) that they could not finish the paperwork as they did not have a psych eval (the insurance already had it and no one asked me for it or I would have provided it) or a dietician eval (I hand carried that in and gave it directly to the doc along with the other paper work he was so pleased with), and (3) that I was not a trusting person as I kept calling to find out why they had not sent in my paperwork. They could not explain why I was not informed.

The Patient Advocate referred me to the Administrator who after talking to me a long time, told me I seemed really rational and logical, not at all what the surgeon's office described when he investigated, but there was nothing I could do.

So I have filed a complaint with the Blue Cross/Blue Shield folks as KU Med Center is a Blue Distinction Center. I am sure it will not really result in anything concrete, but it made me feel better to take some action.

So if you want a compassionate doctor with a responsive caring staff, DON'T LOOK AT KU MED CENTER OR DR. NIAZY SELIM!

Debra :thumbup:

Edited by Froggie D

Thanks, I haven't given up. I have another recommendation I will pursue.

Debra

Wow, I've searched for months for feedback about him bc I was told that is who and where I have to go through bc of my insurance. I haven't met him yet; in fact, my last appointment with my regular MD for my 3 month program was just yesterday! :thumbup: so my info is now only being faxed in to insurance as we speak.

I would try Welcome to the Bariatric Center of Kansas City, Providing surgical solutions to obesity. They are a center of excellence. I'm waiting for insurance to approve me before I go back for therapy and other tests. It's required to go to an informational seminar. The surgery doctor and the therapist both seemed very nice.

Holy cow. What an experience! I think many of us in your shoes would have done just the same as you and then been puzzled about why they felt they couldn't develop a theraputic relationship with you. One word...STRANGE.

I think it's a sign and I'm glad it happened to you now rather than when you are under the knife!

Good luck to you!

Hey CCWeeks,

I totally agree. What if I had had the surgery and had a problem. How would they have responded to me then? I shudder to think about it.

I have been referred to Stanley Hoehn at the Bariatric Center of Kansas City. It also is a Blue Distinction Center and someone I know says the doc is great.

Debra

Youkant4getme,

If you go ahead with Dr. Selim, I wish you luck, but his office is unresponsive, rude, and hostile. I hope it works out better for you than for me.

Debra

Amber Jane,

Are you in the program at Bariatric Center of KC? Is Dr. Hoehn who you met? I am going to a seminar Oct 26.

What do they require of you? I have already met all the insurance requirements. I am sure the doc will have other requirements I have to meet. I am anxious to know what they are.

This will be my third seminar. The first one I went to ended up not practicing at a Blue Distinction Center - and I really like him. I really hope this works out. My frist seminar was October 08. Getting tired of waiting.

Debra

Edited by Froggie D

I'm trying to be! Being only 17 it will be harder. The surgeon himself, I think Dr. Hoehn, said it won't bother him...just the whole emotional and mind thing. So I'm worrying about the physicatrist. Lol sorry about that spelling.

Then you need to send your packet of 8 pages, which you get the seminar, and send them to YOUR doctor. Not them. Your doctor then has to send all your weight history, office visits, and recent lab work. After they recieve this and check it. They contact you and make an appointment with thier physician.

At your first visit you have to have $500. Non refundable. It covers the seminar, insurance things, clinical support, education classes, and post op supportive groups. Yeah they go all out. Lol. If you clear all of thier doctors...I think ones like Cardiac, Pulmonary, Phychologist and a Dietician. Not sure. But you HAVE to pass their tests. Once you have they will send "your letter of medical necessity" to the insurace company.

Once insurance approves you will have a pre-operative visit and then make your surgery date.

That's thier way of doing it. But otherwise...traditional things like BMI of 40, unless you have co morbities, and 5 years of obesity.

Sorry that it was long.

Edited by AmberJane

Thanks for the info. I have had the psychologist visits and psych testing, a trip to the dietician, an 8 week course with a dietician that my insurance requires and a letter of medical clearance from my primary physician that my insurance requires. My insurance does not require a 6 month diet period, just proof of trying to lose with a structured program in the past. I hope they do not require a lot more than that. But I will do whatever I need to. I just want this done!

Thanks for the info. Good luck to you!

WOW I only looked him up for taking out my gallbladder and YES THE OFFICE STAFF is so mean and rude!!!!!!!! I hung up on her and she called me back at my job!! I guess they have caller ID. I myself for the surgery went to Weight Loss Surgical Center. I love that place it's all right there the office, the OR, everything they are the bestest!!!! they treat you with the utmost one on one care! Sorry about your experience..but I have to add myself to your I DON'T LIKE THAT doctor's office list!!!

WOW! So glad to hear another person who experienced what I did, although I am sorry it happened to you. I filed a complaint through the hospital patient advocate office and another through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I actually did not dislike the surgeon, Dr. Selim, but I would bet he has no idea that his office staff treats people that way. I hope some of this gets back to him!

FroggieD

It's interesting.....consistently unhappy people working a doctor's office usually means they are not being treated well - usually by the doctor.

Edited by Enchanted
Added "consistently" Let's face it, we all have one bad day ;)