Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How bad is soda for the band, really?

Just wondering...I was in dire need of a diet Coke today...sipping one slowly over the course of 6 hours. How bad is soda?

The carbonation is bad, did it not hurt your pouch? I have read on here that some that were healed were allowed to have it now and then. How long ago did you get your band and what does your doc say?

I read that it is not a bad thing if you let it get a little flat. I was a diet coke fanatic but after surgery, I did not want it. I tried one about two weeks out after letting it go flat and figured out I did not like it any more... Weird but true. Try it and see how it goes. As long as it does not hurt you are fine!!!!

The doctor just told me not to have it, but didn't tell me how bad it was on a scale of badness. I took little sips, let some of the carbonation fizz in my mouth and then swallowed. It didn't realy hurt, but like all things post-band made me fart alot.

Lol well maybe you will decide you don't like it either. I liked Diet Green tea by lipton, and 0 cal Lifewater. I am totally amazed that I could let diet coke go... I do have a cup of coffee in the morning still but the biggest part of my caffiene had gone bye bye.... Best of luck!!!!

I was a diet Dr Pepper addict. I drank a two-liter everyday. When I was told that I couldn't have them at all, I went cold turkey off of it and haven't wanted it even once.

There is a lady that I know who thought she could beat the system and drink the cola IF she let it go flat. Well, she almost lost her band completely. The pouch swelled up and then drooped down around the band.

Why would you want to pay so much for surgery, go thru everything post-op and then take the chance of complications all over a cola? There are reasons WHY the doctor says no cola. Ask him the whys/whynots. If you can't follow the rules up front, how do you expect to be successful?

Please re-think the cola...for your own sake.

My dr has told me no carbonation ever again. I'm okay with that. I was a diet pepsi addict. I would drink a 2 liter a day, no problem... and I still want a sip occasionally, but I'm not putting my pouch/health at risk for a pepsi. I don't see this pouch as something to test and see what I can get away with.. that defeats that purpose. That is why I've never successfully kept weight off, because I always cheated and tried to see what I could get away with.

i really wish theyd tell us if diet coke is good or bad for ya.all these differnat things dr say someone should know for sure,but i quit it a tear now and can say i drank10 a day,and quit so anyone can.just like smoking 18 yrs ive quit and i smoked 4 packsd a day back then,now its weight im losing so anything is possible to live with out,gl to u all,but id like to know

Nazzy: You can contact the makers of the band and they will answer your questions.

I am a carbonation addict. I love Perrier because of the fizz. So in preparation for the lap band, I gave up carbonated drinks a week ago. It's been tough but as time goes on, it becomes less important. One less thing to deal with postop...if I go through with the band.

One other thought on this. People who drink pop, even diet pop, are fatter than people who don't. This is a fact so maybe it will help.

Hi:

My doctors tell us if we want diet soda go ahead and have it. The carbonation may bother you if you're tight. For me, the carbonation is an issue. If I don't get most of the bubbles out I can't keep it down. What I do is leave a big bottle of diet coke on the counter with the cap off for a couple of days. The fizz is gone, but I can still taste that it's diet coke. Works for me.

I love my band and my new flat tummy.

Sue

I'm just too chicken to try it-OMG, I miss a cold REGULAR Coke over ice---

PS I LOVE the little chicken icon!

If you are using a PC, just right click on the little chicken and save him to your pictures. Then when you look for him in your folder, he won't be dancing. Just add him to an email or to your signature on your email, he will dance then.