Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need new emotional crutch

I use food when I stressed, bored, sad, etc etc.

Unfortunaty post band, I am still using it the same way cause I can still eat chocolate.

I don't like gum, but need a new emotional crutch. I'm working on the pyschological issues, but my oral fixation must be met! What have you all used that worked?

Drink lots of Water. It helps.

Ask your dentist to fix you up with a night guard you can wear around the house. You can't eat when it's in, and since it's designed for people who grind and chew in their sleep, you don't have to worry about destroying it from nervous jaw chomping.

Whatever you do, don't pick up the habit of chewing ice. It's annoying to those around you and it destroys your teeth, often resulting in multiple root canals.

I also recomend picking up a hobby such as kitting, origami, cat's cradle, basket weaving or whatever keeps your hands busy in front of the TV. Busy hands cannot participate in munching so easily.

I didn't used to like gum, but I've now found that I really appreciate sugarless gum-- especially when I can't drink yet (like within 1 hour after meals).

Herbal Tea also helps, and keeping myself busy. I've been reading a lot lately-- didn't do much of that for fun pre-band!

Lisa

I've found reading a good book helps a lot. And I know you're trying NOT to eat, but I really would recommend sugar free pudding or Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. Those just really hit the spot for me!

I can appreciate what you're going through. I quit smoking (after 25 years) as soon as I was approved. Not the smartest thing considering the natural thing most quitters do is replace their oral fixation from smoking with chomping on food, which as you know, you can't eat much of anything that isn't liquid for four weeks after being banded. At least, my surgeon requires a clear liquid diet for two weeks then a full liquid for two more. So, I had to find something to replace that oral fixation. Our local small town pharmacy carries Baskin Robbins hard candy, sugar free, and it comes in mint chocolate chip ice cream, Cookies and cream ice cream and pralines and cream ice cream flavors....NUM! So a few times a day when I find myself just dying to put something in my mouth and i've walked and I've already eaten and I've found I can't read another page, i just finally reward myself with one of these little candies. I deserve it!

Edited by irishstorm831

OOOOOOOOOOOOH how I know what you mean!! :thumbup: I myself am addicted to LOLLIPOPS!!! Although I haven't found the sugar free, I have at least 1 a day! and gum. thats the worst. BUT it keeps me from eating junk food really. No chips, Cookies, or anything else.

I get away from the kitchen when head hunger is messing with me. I'll go upstairs - take a bath, paint my nails, read a magazine - basically, find another way to take care of myself other than with food.< /p>

I get away from the kitchen when head hunger is messing with me. I'll go upstairs - take a bath, paint my nails, read a magazine - basically, find another way to take care of myself other than with food.

well said...find a way to pamper yourself!

Thanks for all your responses. I've found that a few months out and I am starting to put some weight back on because of chocolate- it goes down so easily, whereas things like chicken which I should be eating is more of a struggle. So I have to do something different. Last night when I went to bed I started having a craving so strong, I was anxious until I finally went and ate some chocolate. The eating addiction is like using drugs...my dopaminergic rewqard system in my brain has been rewired so that I only get feelings of joy from food (the way drug users only get feelings of joy from drugs). I've got to rewire that to something else!!

It's hard. Maybe you could start by eating half of what you usually eat and then next week, half of that. You don't need to give it all up at once.

The problem with those dirty carbs is that they cause more cravings for more of those dirty carbs. It's hard to get off of that merry-go-round cycle.

I love sugar free gum. I was using it until I read, somewhere on this forum, that if you accidentally swallow it you may have a "stuck" episode of very painful proportions! You may even have to have the fill saline removed so that the gum can pass on through!!!! It seems that our digestive juices and papaya enzyme can't dissolve gum.

I really hated to give it up...but I have.

Just a few suggestions...

As another poster said...take some time to pamper yourself when you feel your cravings are insurmountable.

Go brush your teeth, read the daily paper, pour yourself a cup of coffee, tea or Crystal Lite. Grab a sugar free Jello cup, take the dog for a walk, do a load of laundry...anything that takes your mind off of eating.

I always have a bowl of celery, carrots and cukes all cut up and ready to grab....I know, not the most exciting thing to eat but does the trick. For my sweet craving, I also have a bowl of strawberries, cleaned and sprinkled with Splenda. I put these into the smaller Gladware cups in the serving size I eat. (about one cup).

I go to the gym and I've changed my approach... in the past I used to go and work my butt off... now its sort of my me and down time (believe it or not). I take my iphone and have either a book on tape or a motivational tape of positive thinking and do 30 mins on the elliptical trainer. Its great for your state of mind. I never have time to do the 'me' things like read or what not so I use that time to do all that while I'm on the elliptical. Yea so maybe I would burn an extra 50 cals if I had a beaty song but who cares its still 300 cals for 30 mins. Or do the same with walking though here the weather is starting to get bad.

So instead of looking it as a chore its 'my time'.