Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yay, I'm finally banded!

Hey yall.

I was finally banded October 8th (last Thursday) by Dr. Choi @ Strax rejuvenation in South Florida! Today is my first day of really getting out and about since then (I'm on campus to use the internet) and not taking the Percocet. I'm noticing the discomfort in my incisions for the first time today.

Ohh man I had no idea what people meant when they said "gas pain"... I thought it was going to be like the feeling you get when you try to hold in a fart.... but man oh man I never imagined I'd have gas up in my SHOULDERS and back. ugh. I slept the first two nights sitting up in a recliner. That was the worst. Thank goodness for Gas-X and walking around.

Oh and I think I've forgotten what its like to poop.... I haven't since the day before surgery (6 days!)... damn liquids. Is that normal??

I'm on liquids and seeing my Doctor today for the follow up, so maybe I'll get good news and be allowed to move on to mushies. I feel the urge to have something salty and savory, these sweet shakes are getting old fast. Anyone have any suggestions on what they found to be yummy and satisfying when they were on mushies??

Hope everyone is doing well. any advice is welcome.

:-)

Edited by SumSum

Hey girl. I too, was banded on the 8th at Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN. I didn't experience the "gas" pains. But I know when I had my Lap Appendectomy it was horrible. I just knew I would go through the same thing, but I haven't. But the area where my port is sutured to my muscle is the worst!!! Hurts when I use my abdominal muscles at all. Which is every time I move. Same for you, I'm sure. I was on full liquids until today and now I get to go to pureed food, or mushies, I guess is the WLS term :sad: pudding helped me through the full liquid stage. Apple sauce too. I found some pureed receipes on the internet so going to shop for ingredients some time today. I dont' see my doctor until the 20th. Good luck to you.

Linda Grimes

Kentucky

Wow, I think you need to take a stool softner so you'll be able to use the restroom, when I was on my liquids I still pooped it was just liquid (sorry guys), but percocet is known to back up bowels, and that's not cool. My dr advised me to get some Colace it's very good a little expensive but it helps or get some Miralax powder. Trust me get something fast. As far as mushies go, I loved mash potatoes that helped me a lot, and yogurt and maybe some oatmel in the morning alone with a Protein Shake. Hope this helps.

I was tired of the sweet shakes... I LOVE roccotta cheese with a little bit of Marinera sauce topped with mozzerrela, is like lasgna without the Pasta, and takes care of my salty desires. I just pop it in the micro for about 30-40 seconds, until the cheese on top is melted... YUM!

I actually liked chicken broth and I still use it for part of my liquid intake. I made it hot and it hit the spot!! For mushies I got Soup to go. (Cambells) There are a couple that don't have very many carbs. Also, mashed potatoes. I like mashed cauliflour!! Sounds gross but you should try it!! Yum!!!

I finally pooped! (sorry for the TMI)

I can't believe its been 8 days! Word to the wise, ask for something other than Percocet for the pain if you can and invest in some stool softeners, cause i've been miserable.

I just lost another 2 pounds! lol.

Congrats!!! What are you eating in the first weeks after surgery, and are you real hungry? I also wanted to know if after you began to loose weight did you notice in your clothes first or with the numbers.

please tell me how dr. choi was. i am going to strax and thinking of having him do my surgery. how much have you lost? good luck

Congrats!!! What are you eating in the first weeks after surgery, and are you real hungry? I also wanted to know if after you began to loose weight did you notice in your clothes first or with the numbers.

For the first week I was strictly liquid Protein shakes (I love the Atkins shakes - 150 cal, 20 grams Protein, NO carbs and YUMMY), Jello, and a little bit of cottage cheese. I was absolutely NOT hungry for a week (because of the swelling, I'm sure), but since then I'm hungrier by the day. After a week of liquids, I moved on to soft Proteins like chicken salad, tuna, and that artificial crab meat. I'm also a big fan of the Progresso weight watcher Soups because it feels like a lot of food and fills me up for very little calories.

Its been almost 4 weeks since surgery and I've been eating "normal food" and can tell I have very little restriction. I try to go Protein first, like ground beef or chicken breasts (I cook up enough for the week and tupperware it so all I have to do is reheat and eat) and then a side of veggies. I snack on low cal string cheese, cottage cheese and apples (gotta get that fiber!). My favorite fast food on the go treats are a small Chili from Wendy's (according to their website, 220 cals, 15g protein, 6g Fiber) or the Pinto's and Cheese from Taco Bell. I've tolerated everything well except fluffy Breads and sometimes I feel like I could/do eat more than I should. I'm definitely eating more than a cup or two of food at any one time. But, when I eat too much I instantly get the differed pain from my diaphragm in my left shoulder and in my chest, and thats usually uncomfortable enough to stop/not eat that much again.

I've lost 25 pounds, 15 of that was pre-op. I went from a tight size 20 to a loose 18, and comfortably wearing XL tops (I was squeezing into Old Navy XXLs). So I can tell a difference for sure, even if its not drastic. I'm 2 holes tighter on my Belt!

Sometimes I feel like I'm not loosing as fast as I expected, but I did have a week of crappy eating where I thought it would be ok to buy "healthy" ice creams, Snacks, 1% milk, and had a REALLY bad football Sunday with french fries and hot wings out to eat! And sure I didn't eat as much as I would have pre-band, but its still crap food thats not going to help me loose the 100 pounds I want to loose. I think I was rebelling after being so good for the two weeks before and two weeks after surgery and I felt like I was in withdrawal (man I sound like an addict). But I decided that was tooooo much carbs & empty cals that weren't satisfying. I guess thats what you call "slider foods". Good news is I'm back on track!

I've also just started really exercising and I think that helps especially when it comes to staying motivated, toning up and loosing inches. My dogs seem to appreciate it too.

I really think I'll be more successful once I get a fill in a week and half. Right now I'm running on will power and distraction to not over eat. Sometimes I feel like I could have way more food than I allow myself.

But I'm happy with my decision. The only thing I can say I dislike about the band is the scars from the incisions. I have one thats just not wanting to totally heal and I can tell its not going to be pretty once it does. (I have darkish skin, and scar easily, so I know its not ever going to disappear).

I hope that answered your questions.

:-) Sum

Edited by SumSum

I was also banded on Oct 8... trying more "regular" foods everyday. I know I'm not eating as much as I used to, but often feel like I am still eating too much, but I think part of that is mental. I don't go in for a fill for 2 weeks... trying to hold it together until then. I only had to pre-op diet 2 days, so all of my weight loss to me is surgery weight loss, which is at 20 pounds, where it's been for 2 weeks. I started eating out late last week, it's just so much my lifestyle since I work full time and I'm in grad school and boy it costs me a lot less now. dinner at wendy's last night was under $3 for chili and plain baked potato ;o) Went to lunch today with friends to a cafeteria style place and the selections were harder. Opted for chicken tenders but pulled of most of the breading and skipped over the dessert and bread section.

yesterday at lunch was the first pain I've had from eating something. I grabbed one of those California salads from the Target cafe and I was sitting at work doing work and eating it and wasn't conscious about my chewing and felt a good bit of discomfort as my stomach tried to process it. I will chew from now on!

I have a lot to loose, but I'm still very motivated and excited. Can't wait to get a fill.