Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your doctor set one or did you set one, maybe both? I am 15 pounds to my own goal. Doctor wants me to get down to 125. I am 5'2" and I have had 4 kiddos. My question for everyone is do you feel like 125 is out of reach? I am already sagging and I cant imagine how bad it would be after 25 more pounds! And once I get to whatever goal I get to, I am still wondering how we maintain that? Any comments or suggestions would be more than welcome!!

Thanks!

D

I would think as long as you are in your weight range of a healthy weight, that is where you want to be, not some magic number that your dr wants you to be. You need to be where you are comfortable and where you feel healthy and can maintain.

I would think that 125 would be too low. Just my opinion. I am also 5'2 and I am shooting for 140-150. However, that being said, i started this journey at my highest weight at 271. Surgery day was 249. I am about to get my first fill this coming Tuesday so I am just getting the ball rolling. Everyone carries their weight differently so i would just get to where you feel good and stay. It really IS up to you when you think about it. Good luck with everything.

Lori

My doctor hasn't set me a goal, in fact last time I went for a fill I was told that my weight was now acceptable.

For your height I don't think that 125lbs in unachievable or unrealistic. However it is what you are comfortable with that is important. That would give you a BMI of 22.9 which is right in the middle of the healthy weight range.

I am slightly shorter than you at 5' 3/4" (don't forget that 3/4) and I am aiming to reach 52kg which would give me a BMI of 22.4.

I use this BMI weight calculator which i find quite useful as it gives a range of ideal weights, it doesn't just use the one figure. www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Congratulations on all the weight that you have lost so far and good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by elcee

Thanks for your opinions, that was kinda how I was feeling. I am at 149 as of today, which feels sooooo good! But I think that 135 would feel even better.

D

My doctor said I could get down to 125 or 130. I just looked at him like he was crazy - I'm 5 feet 9. I'm aiming for 140.

My doctor said I could get down to 125 or 130. I just looked at him like he was crazy - I'm 5 feet 9. I'm aiming for 140.

OUCH

125 would give you a BMI of 18.5 which is officially in the UNDERWEIGHT range. Is your Dr crazy?

Wow, that would be skinny!! I wish I was 5'9"! being short sucks sometimes! I would love to be 125 but I am 43 and I havent been 125 since I got married 24 years ago! I have flappy skin already, I think I would be nothing but saggy at 125 at least at 135 there would be a little cushion under there. I dont know, I may get to 135 and decide 125 would be better. My heaviest was 220 so even at 149, I feel great! Thanks for everyones in put!!

D

This is a good thread because it is very hard to determine the appropriate goal weight. I am within six pounds from my goal weight of 153 lbs. andI feel great; however, I wonder if my goal is appropriate and how I am going to maintain it.

I want an attainable and maintainable goal.

Delivered,

Congrats! I feel that way as well, I need a weight that is "real"! I want a weight that will be easy to maintain, not have to continuely worry over it!

Good luck!

D

I spoke with a lady in my church this morning about the band since she is out over two years. She told me that she thought she has made it to her goal, wasn't losing anymore and then all of a sudden, she lost 6 more pounds. She said that it just keeps on working for her.

I am 5' 3", start weight was 322.8. I plan to get to about 150-160 pounds. That was the weight that I felt the best and even tho it is still overweight, it works for me.

I think the doctors tend to look at the insurance charts on weight and go from there. I agree with the others. Find a comfortable weight for yourself. Set yourself a "gain" weight of 5-10 pounds. When you see that you have gained that much, back off and tighten up your eating again. Don't wait until you have gained 25 pounds.....

Maybe he said a 130 pounds. It's was right at the BMI before you are considered underweight b/c there was a chart I remember seeing.

I dont think 125 for 5ft 2 is at all unrealistic - I'm 5ft 10 and 150 and I'm not bony skinny, scrawny or anorexic looking, I'm nicely covered, in fact I still have a big bum!.

You should aim to stop where you feel good, at the end of the day that's what matters. But dont sell youself short by saying "oh, I've had 4 kids, I couldnt weigh that again". You hear SO many heavy people discount healthy goal weights becuase they just cant imagine them and truly, its not only quite easy to get to a BMI of well under 25 if you eat and exercise right, but its also pretty easy to stay there. I dont have to even think about it these days.

So if you dont want to stop at a higher weight, dont. And you cant really solve the sag problem by remaining overweight, if its skin only sag and not skin and fat sag it'll be easier to hide. Skin only sag doesnt show as a muffin top or a bulge. It really only looks bad when you're naked. I learned that when a surgeon showed me pictures of true skin only pannuses, when I went to get my saggy old bosoms looked at. Those are THIN, they're just long curtains of skin. Most of the before Tummy Tuck pics you see are still full of plenty of fat and it would be possible to lose a lot of the bulk in them by continuing to lose weight. Not that you should have to, why NOT just cut it all off and be done with it? But the point is, you're not solving a lot of problems by remaining heavier if that's not what you want.

My boobs are a case in point. There's no fat in them, they're just skin, they are pretty tragic. But it hides well with a good bra and even with a good bikini top. I still had boobs 30 lb ago but I also had cellulite, rolls on my tummy and love handles. I look much better overall at 150 than I did at 180.

However, if you feel good, and believe you look good at a certain weight, you're happy, healthty and can maintain it, then its a great weight for YOU. I think charts are a bit overrated.

I'm 42 and I dont see that as any reason all not to weigh less than I did 20 years ago (by about 10 lb) - nor do I see any reason any reason not to be fitter and stronger, and to continue to become more so. I fully expect to be running 10kms at 70. Why on earth let age get in your way?

Edited by Jachut

Just a quick comment... For those of you with sagging skinfolds, mention something to your doctor about rashes or any sores you get. At my first fill my PA asked if I was getting any rashes/sores in my skinfolds(belly and breasts), which I haven't really bad but I do get rashes ocassionally. She said she would start documenting it in my charts immediately for insurance purposes down the road should I need a Tummy Tuck or breast lift. I think the more they document it the more likely chance you will get your insurance company to cover it.

My cousin got her insurance to pay for your tummy tuck.. and she looked a whole lot better from it of course. I think most of us would want to do something like that when we are about down to our goal weight but may not know how to go about it.

I will be banded on the 13th...But when I went to the nurtionist..I had to get a funky scale...it measured all sorts of things.

I am 5'4', age 62 and she told me my weight should be 161.

If I feel I can get lower great....If I feel good at this weight..wonderful! It is a number..I just want to be healthy!

Good luck everyone!