Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 BANDits Status Report 9/28/2009

Hi Everyone!!

Time for a status report!

How are you doing? How are you feeling? Has the band met your expectations as of yet?

I had my first fill last Thursday, 9.24.2009. The first night I felt VERY restricted, then it calmed down totally by the next day. I can eat more than I thought I would at this point. I do get hungry but I am trying to make good choices. I definitely get "head hunger", I make it a point to not keep my trigger foods in the house, i.e. ice cream. I am journaling on sparkpeople.com, I like that site.

I've started to push up the workouts as of this past weekend. I feel it today!! I can tell I am a bit weak but try to tell myself if I keep at it I will start to crave it. No excuses... I have to do it. I have been very stressed at work also and I know the exercise helps me there too.

I have lost 28 lbs since August 15th. I am happy with my progress. The scale did finally move 2 lbs since my fill which I am happy with. I didn't lose a thing (even gained a couple of pounds) just before my fill. It was discouraging but thanks to this site I learned it is normal.

I am very happy with my band and can't wait to reach the elusive sweet spot!! I get my next fill on October 22nd, my doctor does them monthly. I am curious what that fill will bring.

I can't wait to get into my next grouping of clothes (I have several bins of all sizes). I think in 15 lbs I will be able to open that bin! That is my mini goal right now.

Best of luck to all! I look forward to reading your updates!!:tongue2:

I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow. I haven't lost any weight in the last 2 weeks and I am not scheduled for my first fill for another 3 weeks. If it weren't for this board, I would have become tremendously discouraged by now. I can't wait to get some restriction because I'm feeling like my old self -- hungry all the time!

Last Saturday, we ate out and I unthinkingly ate a piece of celery that was the garnish on my plate. I felt some cutting pain that evening and some soreness the next day but everything's back to normal now.

I am not exercising as much as I should. :tongue2:

I'm getting ready for a trip to Disney World with my DH and kids and I'm about 25 pounds heavier than I was the last time I squeezed onto those rides.

Hey! August 09ers! I had my first fill last week. It went really well. At this point, I can eat about a cup of food and it fills me up for 3 or 4 hours. I eat a snack or two per day (usually a Protein bar or sometimes a popsicle) along w/the 3 small meals and I haven't had any issues with actual hunger, really. I pack a SF pudding and Jello every day, but never get around to eating them. I also log my food/exercise on sparkpeople.com (id: delmalpz).

I haven't weighed yet, this week. We'll see if there's been any downward movement. I know I'm losing inches at least because I've waited too late to wear some of my clothes that I couldn't get into before. Still in the 16s, which is very exciting.

I've been riding my bike at least 3 hours per week. It's been tons of fun. Hope everybody's doing well.

should_be: I'm sorry you're hungry all the time. Just try to eat a little something solid when you get hungry. It's just no fun to be hungry all the time and do nothing about it. Solid Protein, an ounce of cheese, a Protein Bar...any of these should help and keep you from eating sliders or high-cal foods that you might otherwise want to eat...

Edited by Delma

Hi

I was banded on 25 Aug and I had a rocky start after I had my first fill, I was given 6 mls in a 14 ml band, it was too tight and I was referred for an unfill .

the unfill was unsuccessful and very painful and I was told my port had moved and I would probably need more surgery. I then lost restiction completely and was sure I had a leak I was very upset and thought I had made a terrible expensive mistake.

HOWEVER, 2 days ago, my provider arranged for a Professor of medicine (no less !) to examine me, he was able to manipulate my port and gave me another fill of 2mls, I now have 8mls in a 14 ml band.

I am now on track again and feel that I have a good restiction, I am looking forward to loosing weight again (I put on 3-4 lbs when I was in the depths of despair!)

I wish I had perservered with the too tight fill at the start, I now know it would have eased off and I could have saved myself and my family loads of worry.

I am now feeling really positive and I KNOW that this will work for me, I have not started any exercise yet (I know, shame on me!) but I am now ready to get my a** in gear and put in a better effort:thumbup:

Hey all!

I'm feeling pretty good, all in all!

I was banded on August 6th, and to date (including 3 weeks of pre-op diet) I've lost nearly 50 pounds. :)

I had my first fill on September 18th. I was supposed to get 4cc (I have the 14 cc band) but could only tolerate 3cc. When she filled me up, I wasn't expecting to "feel" it, and I called out "woah" (or something dirtier than that.. not sure, I have a trucker's mouth!) and she backed out the saline, and then pushed it in again until I said stop. I stopped at 3cc. I am getting my second fill this Friday... my surgeon is happy to do fills every 2-3 weeks.

I had "bandster hell" for about 2-3 weeks, where I sat between 305-310 the entire time, but I'm losing again now, so no complaints!

Hello all, I was banded on August 5th, so now 8 weeks out as of today and it has been great. I lost the first 18 lbs in the first 12 days, however, I have lost a full dress size and feeling good. My blood pressure is coming down and I am off BP meds.

I had my first fill on the 22nd which was a great experience in that I had no numbing meds and no pain just a pinch and a fill of 3.5cc's I go for my next fill on October 6th I think, I just found out they moved to a new location and I won't know till today because that little bit is doing nothing for me. I don't eat that much, but it is still more than what the doctor wanted me to eat. Since my fill I lost an additional 5lbs I was very happy to see that. so that brings my total weight loss down to 24lbs and in a good 14/16 in some clothes and an 18 in my fitting clothes which is great from the size 20 I was in all summer.

I am very happy with my band I have no regrets, even though I wanted RNY first I am glad I am losing at a steadier pace, and learning how to eat without bread, or cake. I have had one step where I got a little stuck and it hurt but no slime, however enough that I don't even crave it, at least for now. I notice I can eat more of the softer foods than I can eat regular cuts of chicken or meat. I am a happy camper for sure.

I was banded on Aug. 12, 09. I had my first fill on 09/29/09 of 2cc. I have lost 23 lbs. I had stop losing, so to have a my first fill yesterday was great. I hope things will get moving again. I have better restriction now. I am back on liquids for a couple of days.

Hi Everyone!

I had my surgery on August 17th and my first fill of 1.5cc on September 24th. I've lost a total of 27 pounds (including pre-op). So far everything has been great. I really don't feel any restriction and I can't wait until my next fill (my doctor only does them every 4 weeks). I'm headed to Las Vegas for the weekend and I hope that I can overcome the buffets!

Glad you all are doing so well! Keep up the good work!

I had my surgery on Aug 3rd. I've lost a little over 40 pounds (including pre-op diet) so far. I seem to average about 3.5 lbs a week. I hope I can continue to keep this rate, even though I know its going to taper off sometime soon. My husband calls it the "honeymoon phase" lol.

I haven't had need of any fills yet, I see my surgeon tomorrow and he will chart my progress. I eat about a cup of food per meal, and it keeps me satiated for a good 3 to 4 hours. I write down everything I eat on a food chart and am averaging about 800-1000 cals a day.

I'm hoping that since I have stuck with this for the last 2 months, that I will continue to do so. They say it takes a month for a good habit to form, so here's to hoping it sticks.

Best of luck to you all in the next month!

Hello Bandsters...

I had my first fill today. Surgery date was Aug 10th and I have lost a total of 40lb pre-op diet and all. Happy with the results. Had first fill two weeks ago, did not feel any restriction. I did not loose any weight these last two weeks either. I am praying that I feel something this time. I am not not getting off my butt either like I should and walking. We all sound like we are on the same page right now. We will all make it through this and be skinny someday.

Allison

Hi all the August bandsters.

I was banded Aug. 24th (6 weeks today) and had my first fill this past Friday. I have lost around 45 - 48 lbs. (my Dr's scale and my scale disagree a little) but I am enormously happy with my results so far.

I have pulled in 3 notches on my belt and am starting to dig some smaller sized clothes out of the back of the closet.

My Dr says I can eat about 1400-1500 calories a day and still be losing weight. But in the few days since the fill I haven't gone much past 800. I think I'm restricted but I'm not really sure. It's all pretty new so I'm learning as I'm going.

weight.png

I was banded Aug 7/09 with a HH repair and Gall bladder removal. flight home and recovery from all three things at once was hell but I am now feeling great and exercising everyday. I lost 10 lbs in the first 4 weeks post op but have not lost any since then. I got my first fill last week (1.5 cc) and feel a slight restriction but not much, I can't get another fill for a month so am just trying to eat right as best I can in the meantime. I am hungry a lot. Some foods go down like normal and others I am restricted.

Hello August Bandits,

I had my first fill on September 15 and it has been a long process. When I went back tot he doctor I had gained 5 pounds this devasated me. The weightloss has been slow and it seems that everyone has lost more than I have. While I can't complain about the 16 pounds I have lost. I just wish it was coming off faster. In looking at my stats I still have about 60 more pounds to drop. When looking at the boards it gives me hope for the future wieghtloss. I must pick up my exercise regimen to catch you guys. At the beining of my journey I weighed 234 and now currently at 218. Can't wait to be in onederland.:)

Ooh today is my two month bandiversary!! I'm thrilled with my decision. I've lost 53 pounds in 2 1/2 months (including my 2 week pre-op diet) and have had 2 fills - I currently have 5.5cc's in a 10cc band and have excellent restriction. Scheduled for my next fill on October 19th. I'll probably still get it but probably only .5 cc or so. Hoping that will have me at my sweet spot!!

My surgery date was August 4th. I've lost between 23 and 26 pounds (depends on what day I weigh). I'm happy with my decision to get the band. I've had one fill and am in the process of getting another one scheduled (have to talk to the nutritionist first, waiting to hear back from her).

The past week has been rather difficult for me. I am hungry alot and I have head hunger that I have not been able to overcome. I was so strong right after surgery, now I feel like I'm back to my "old self". I exercise 4-5 times a week. I should probably do better on that but that's so much better than NEVER excercising.....which was how often I did it before surgery!