Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Health Care..Is this standard??

I just made my first inquiry call to my insurance company (UHC-PPO) to request a status update on my case (approved?, denied? need more inf???). Anyway, the person that I spoke with told me that a letter had been sent out on 10/6 with the information that I was requesting. I asked her why she couldn't just tell me if I had been approved or denied, and she said she couldn't, I would have to wait for the letter. Does this seem normal to anyone. It seems like I have read a number of posts where people have been able to get their status over the phone. Should I take this as a bad sign?? Also, as an fyi, I do know that there is NO exclusion in my policy and that UHC confirmed that they cover Lap Band.

Thanks for any help....

Anne

I was told over the phone I was approved, maybe you just talked to a Mean Rep., or maybe I wasn't suppose to be told. Call back and ask someone else.

It's not all that surprising that the phone jockey didn't want to commit to you verbally. It's also possible that person didn't actually have access to what was in the letter; maybe all they could see was that some communication was sent to you.

Don't worry--even if it's a denial it may just be that some tiny piece of information is lacking. United HC is, overall, one of the best with regard to banding (as long as it's medically necessary).

Thanks you guys. I so appreciate your replies. I am having stomach pains just worried about all this. The waiting alone causes enough stress to make anyone qualify!!!

I'll probably call back and see if I get someone else. I don't know how I will be able to survive until tomorrow (or maybe later!) waiting for the mail.

Anne

I was also told over the phone, but it took 3 tries to get the info. The first reps didn't know what the letter said. I finally got ahold of the right care department that handles the actual decision and they were able to tell me over the phone of the approval. I still didn't beleive it though until I had that paper in my hand. Best of luck!

After following the sage advice of 5 members that responded to my past post regarding my insurance status I called UHC two more times. The people I spoke with were beyond helpful. One care coordinator told me that there was absolutely NO reason I should have to wait for a letter to arrive and that I should be able to learn whether or not I was approved over the phone. Unfortunately, there is some policy they have that a "manager" or "nurse" must inform the patient of the denial or approval. She advised me to call another number. When I did I talked to a wonderful manager who informed me that I had been approved! She wished me the best of luck and told me that she had heard great things about the success of Lap Band.

I am so excited, scared, thrilled, giddy and apprehensive....all at once.

My date is for November 10th!!

Thanks for everyone's kind help and advice so far.

Anne

Guest miluckey

puffyone, I am stress now? because Unitedhealth care told me that they don't cover lapband surgery or obesity. so tell me now should I finish going through all my things with Dr J. or just give up now. I really don't want to do that. Help me out.

thanks

Miranda.

Guest miluckey

thanks for getting back to me. I did talk to an H/R person on yesterday? and she told me that we dont' cover that on our plan. But what I am going to do is to just wait until I here from my doctor's office and the UHC co. And then take it from there. I am not giving up, I am going all the way until I can't go no more.

thanks.

Ann....Congratulations!!!!! I just read this thread today and I'm so happy that it has a happy ending or should I say beginning for you! Good luck and take care. November 10th will be here before you know it and from then on...it only gets better daily!

Something similar happened to me yesterday with UHC...

I called to make sure they had my paper work and the customer service rep said they didn't. So, I called the Dr.'s office back and they said that I have to talk to a Care Coordination person. FINALLY, I got a hold of them and the lady said they received my info on the 19th and mailed out a letter on the 25th. They said they couldn't tell me what it said, that I should just wait for the letter!!! (Must be a skinny person who doesn't know what this means)

Nothing in the mailbox yet and I am just DYING to know!!!

I really shouldn't be too worried since over 5 people here at work have had this done, but there still is a chance that insurance is going to screw me isn't there?

I called back and the person I talked to this time said that they couldn't tell what was in the letter, just that it had been mailed. They don't have the letter in front of them! HAHA!!! Yeah right.

Just waiting on the mail I guess...

JohnDeerGal, I would call back and get in with a care advocate, they usually can tell you over the phone or get a nurse to do it. You shouldn't have to just wait for the letter. Someone should be able to tell you. It took me three tries, but I did finally get that info over the phone. Best of Luck!