Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curves?

Has anyone tried Curves, and if so how did it work out for you? I just started going, and I like it so far, but not sure if I am going to get the resluts I want. I already have a lot of sagging skin, and want to try to build some more muscle.

Depending on your age, there is a slim to no chance that any amount of exercise will help loose skin. If you are losing or have lost a significant amount of weight, the only thing that will get rid of loose skin is plastic surgery. I do belong to Curves and enjoy the workout, but in this area while I have daylight savings time, I enjoy walking outside more, as there is a park near home with a nature trail. I just about live there, but I am running out of daylight and soon will need to implement my backup exercise plan, which is: the park on weekends, holidays and days off, Curves 2-3 times a week, the country rec center fitness room (treadmills, bikes, weights) a couple times a week, and Water aerobics. Fortunately all this stuff is on the way home from work, so once it gets too dark to walk after work I will add in the other things.

I am sorry to burst your bubble about the loose skin. Curves is a nice workout, but it is unlikely to get rid of the skin. It will help your overall fitness, and will help tone.

Has anyone tried Curves, and if so how did it work out for you? I just started going, and I like it so far, but not sure if I am going to get the resluts I want. I already have a lot of sagging skin, and want to try to build some more muscle.

I joined Curves on Aug 25th. They took my measurements that day... they took my measurements again on Sept 21st and I had lost a total 4 inch all over..I know it wasn't ALL from the working out there, but I was VERY pleased w/it and I like that I get a good work out in in only 30 min... but... Curves machines are based on resistance... good for toning... not sure how much muscle building it would do...

I was talking to my girlfriend and some of her friends about this and they all said that the problem was that they don't work you hard enough, but it's better than nothing. :scared2:

I was talking to my girlfriend and some of her friends about this and they all said that the problem was that they don't work you hard enough, but it's better than nothing. :(

I don't agree w/that... but that's just my opinion.. you get out of the workout what you put in to it.. I know I get a good work out... I break a good sweat and get my heart pumping really good...since the machines are resistance based, the faster/more reps you do in the 30 sec at each station, the more resistance you are gonna get... but... that being said... everyone has to find what form of exercise works best for them....

I was banded 9/24/2008 My weight before the liver shrinking diet was 284. The day of surgery was 271. I'm 5' 6" I live in VA where I too have the daylight Saving Time as someone else mentioned. After power walking all that summer I needed a place to go inside to work out. I joined Curves in October 2008 and started with the 30 min circut. I too felt I wasn't getting enough of a workout. So I decided to do and hour workout (lunch hour) and a 10 min stretch/cool down, and I did this 5 days a week and on my days I had off or the weekend I would do my video workouts or walk outside. Now a year later I have lost 102 lbs. I just joined a "real gym" and am doing 5 days of cardio and 3-4 of those days I do weights If time allows. The trick to Curves is to do your own thing! Make yourself run in place, do kicks, and move your arms while walking at the fastest pace you can! Its only 30 seconds... do as many reps as you can and switch it up, pass people if they are not moving off the equipt. fast enough... They won't mind. Remember your there for a workout not a social event.. My Curves has great ladies, BUT they like to be social and I found that not to be so motovating! Great people but I was there to lose weight and get healthy!!! I too have this sagging skin issue. I realize now this will be another surgery when I am complete in this Quest I have set out to acomplish. Main thing is get yourself healthy, get your weight down so you can do more... then when you have reached that point maybe look into joining a "real gym" and start on some light weights... LOTION is also another key for good skin and lots of Water. If you get bored with water get some flavor packets from Wal-Mart (Lemonade) or Crystal light and this will also help with your sweet tooth, and its surgar free... Lots of luck.

I hardly ever post on this site, BUT I had to put in my 2 cents in on the success of Curves! It's all in what you put in it! Was in AZ last year ... I must say you live in a BEAUTIFUL part of this country!