Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

omg! im really having second thoughts about this lap band!

Im kinda think me getting the lap band instead of the gastric bypass for many reasons! The main reason is because I had it done at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit MI and there service and appointment scheduling is horrible. I didnt get my 2nd week checkup until my 6th week out of surgery. My doctor didnt give me a fill during surgery. My first fill was scheduled for September 18th and they cancelled it and moved it to October the 2nd. So instead of getting a fill 6 weeks out of surgery i wont be getting mine until Im 13 weeks out of surgery. I have already hit a pataue and if I could loose the weight on my own then I wouldnt have gotten the surgery. My surgery was July 13. I was 299 and im 269 now. I think if i would have just gotten the bypass then I wouldnt have to worry about appt. being canceled for fills.

I read your post and I don't know that I have any words of wisdom other than to offer support. You need to speak with your doctor and the hosptal administration and let them know that they are failing in their duties. I'm sure the hospital has a patient advocate who will work to get you the care you should be getting. If your doctor won't so his job get another doctor. And there are medical boards to go to to file complaints.

sweattea25--don't give up! Everyone's journey is different...lots of doctor's don't give fills when they first place the band. My doc is one of the best in the state and he is firmly against it! I did'nt get my fill until 6 weeks out (august 27th) and my next fill isn't until october 28th.

Did you ask why they were cancelling? Have you tried to get in sooner? Call and bother them every day (nicely)...pick a different time each day to call and see if they've had any cancellations that you can take. When you do finally get in, tell your doc your concerns....if it doesn't get better after that, then look for a new doctor.

My mom had gastric bypass a few years ago and she's doing wonderfully...but think about why you chose the band instead of bypass...i know for me it was because it IS adjustable...no malabsorption....and not for nothing, but a lot of GB patients regain their weight after about 3 years post op...and a lot of those patients get a lap band after...

I've hit a plateau as well but I also know there is more that i can be doing. I'm going to work harder the next 2 weeks and if i still haven't lost, then i'm going to call to see if i can get in for another fill...

I know it's frustrating, but be patient! (i know, i hate hearing that too!) We had our surgeries a week apart (i was on july 7th) and we want instant gratification, but loss with the band is slower...have you lost any inches? Get measured, because i didn't think i had lost any, but i've lost 4 inches on every measurement on my torso...so chest, hips, and waist....and that was BEFORE my fill...i'm sure it's more now...actually i KNOW it's more now...i just have to go to the gym to get remeasured....

STAY POSITIVE!! Call the office again tomorrow and start calling until you get your appointment....goodluck!

Thanks for the replies and words of wisdom. Im trying to make the appropriate steps to get another doctor rite now. Its so frustrating to here of everyones success and their experiece with their first fills and I havent had one yet. Its really pissing me off but I am proud of myself because of the weight I have lost with no fills.

Finally, I 've found someone in Detroit, I am having the band done in about four weeks, at Henery Ford, with Dr. Genaw, can you give me some tips on the pre op diet and anything else i need to know, where can i get the myocel, or is there anything else i can use a Protein suppliment.

I uses the 100% whey Protein from GNC. Far as the pre op diet. It was really simple I was on clears for a whole week.

You're not alone. I hate the band and wish I had gotten a bypass or a sleeve.

really. u seem to be loosing really good. but i totally fill u.

Im kinda think me getting the LAP-BAND® instead of the gastric bypass for many reasons! The main reason is because I had it done at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit MI and there service and appointment scheduling is horrible. I didnt get my 2nd week checkup until my 6th week out of surgery. My doctor didnt give me a fill during surgery. My first fill was scheduled for September 18th and they cancelled it and moved it to October the 2nd. So instead of getting a fill 6 weeks out of surgery i wont be getting mine until Im 13 weeks out of surgery. I have already hit a pataue and if I could loose the weight on my own then I wouldnt have gotten the surgery. My surgery was July 13. I was 299 and im 269 now. I think if i would have just gotten the bypass then I wouldnt have to worry about appt. being canceled for fills.

I don't think it is your band you are mad at--clearly it is the lack of care you are getting! I would demand that you get the care and appointments that you need! So if you can switch Drs--ask your insurance company.

You have lost a HUGE amount of weight already! Be happy! I can tell you that you never would have lost that amount without your band! You are doing great--but you deserve great care as well. Demand it!