Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here - looking for help/advice (from Texas)

Hi, I live in Mesquite, Texas (a 'burb of Dallas).

I'm investigating the entire lapband process.

I've been referred to Dr. Richard Anderson at the Surgery Center of Dallas. Has anyone used him? Can anyone tell me anything about him?

I admit, I'm not thrilled at the concept of "going under the knife," even if it is a minor procedure.

Obviously, I'm morbidly obese or I wouldn't be considering this. I'm also disabled, but it has nothing to do with weight -- I have a number of genetic illnesses that make life difficult in the first place. The extra weight only adds to the problems.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for doctors in the Dallas area. I've heard about a Dr. Nguyen Wyn in Frisco but haven't been able to find an address or phone number on him.

I have 2 srikes against me going in:

1) I'm on Medicare and, while I have several different problems that QUALIFY me completely for lapband, I know Medicare will fight it. As I'm disabled, I don't work and have absolutely NO income outside of Medicare and Social Security Disability (not married; no second income).

2) My longtime gastroenterologist, I discovered recently, wrote in his notes -- ON RECORD -- that I am suing a hospital where I was taken in a coma last year. I was severely mistreated there and actually physically abused. I seriously CONSIDERED suing them for it, but knew I wouldn't have the money or enough witnesses to do anything, so I didn't pursue it. I mentioned to my GI that I *wanted* to sue them, but never that I was doing so. Now, when he refers me to any other doctor and sends copies of is records, the doctors see that and refuse to treat me. They've never come right out and said it, but I've never been turned away from any doctor before, so I feel quite certain that's what's happening.

My internist believes I'd be a good candidcate for lapband (I really do *not* want a gastric bypass for so many reasons, some of which are medical), but finding someone who will do it on Medicare is going to be tough. I simply cannot pay for it out of pocket as I do not have that kind of money.

ANY ideas, suggestions, names of surgeons (and their phone numbers or websites) would be seriously appreciated.

By the way, what's a "fill in" doctor?

Thanks!

Laura

I consulted with Dr. Cribbens in Plano - He was great but too expensive (I had to self pay). I ended up going with Dr. Barker - I think he takes Medicare. His website is www.drwbarker.com and his office is in mesquite (or very close to it). I had my surgery at Vista Hospital in Garland. I think Dr. Barker is a WONDERFUL surgeon!!!!

Also, Barker does bypass the regular way and the laproscopic way. And the surgery was in all honesty not that bad. I mean, it's surgery and it has side effects but it was totally managable.

Also, Barker does bypass the regular way and the laproscopic way. And the surgery was in all honesty not that bad. I mean, it's surgery and it has side effects but it was totally managable.

Thanks! I *will* check with him! Mesquite or Garland would be SO much closer for me, obviously!

I truly do NOT want to have bypass, for reasons I'd rather not list here (don't want to discourage or scare other people).

But I *do* need a new GI doctor since my old one has thrown me aside and the new one wouldn't touch me due to the old GI's records saying I'm suing a hospital. *sigh* What a freakin' nightmare.

Laura

I even WORKED for lawyers for years and never sued anyone!!!