Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of Explaining

Since I had the band surgery, so many people are watching me and asking "how much have you lost now". They are thinking that the weight is going to just fall off me fast, fast.

I get so tired of explaining that this is a band NOT a bypass. It's a tool to help me lose...not a magic wand.

I would not have told some of these people that I had the band but my dear 89 yr old mother told everyone b/c she was so worried about me and wanted them to pray for me. I love prayers and believe in them but you don't always have to tell it all......

I feel like a zoo exhibit or something.:tongue2:

I know what you mean! One of my coworkers had bypass and the weight, of course, fell off really fast. I was worried that I would be compared to her and looked at as a failure because mine is coming off more slowly. So far, though, everyone is very understanding. I totally hear you, though, about having to expalin the difference to everyone.

LollyMoe,

It isn't even worth saying something to your mother. You have lost 27 lbs and haven't gained the 27 lbs. As long as you are feeling good that is all that matters. The people around you that have been told either by yourself or your mother just need to be reminded that you only need their support and not their negative questions.

You made a decision for yourself and not for others. Keep working on yourself and your health.

Josephine

"So, how's the not smoking working out?"

Great until you reminded me that I'm not smoking. I could really use one now!

Sorry, just a flashback to 8 years ago

Curiosity, people always want to know other peoples business.

"Thank you, I'm doing well" even if they didn't pay you a compliment, will politely end the conversation if they aren't someone you wish to share your lb loss with.

I feel like I'm under a microscope. Everybody is really nice, and I think just genuinely interested, but the questions and comments get old after awhile. Especially - can you eat that much? When it's about 1/3 of what it normally would have been. On the flip side, it is nice when someone says they have noticed that I am losing and looking healthier.

I guess it's just my personality, but nobody has asked me if I "should be eating that"

how (insert expletive that I'm not allowed to use on this pansy board) rude is that

I told only a few people about my surgery because I did not want to be ask hundreds of questions and be under a microscope about everything I eat. Now that I have lost 63lbs everyone is telling me how good I look and ask how i'm doing it. I always say exercise and eating less, which is true, but I feel guilty and think I should tell about my band. I really don't what to do

I told only a few people about my surgery because I did not want to be ask hundreds of questions and be under a microscope about everything I eat. Now that I have lost 63lbs everyone is telling me how good I look and ask how i'm doing it. I always say exercise and eating less, which is true, but I feel guilty and think I should tell about my band. I really don't what to do

I told very few people at work about the band for the same reason. When someone comments about what I have lost so far, I just tell them it's dieting and exercise. I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you because what you are doing IS dieting and exercise. Now my friends know I've done this but they just ask how's it going. My sister is the only one that scrutinizes what I eat and makes comments. I know that she is trying to help, she's just not really good at it so I blow it off. When I get to your amount of weight loss, it may be different, but I hope not. Not everyone really needs to know the entire truth.

Good luck to you!!

I wish I wouldnt have told anyone. I also am constantly under a microscope being asked if I can eat this or that or how much I can eat at once. I also had a lady say to me, "I didnt know you could eat that much after surgery." I had 3/4 of a cup of scrambled eggs in bowl! uhhh annoying and sometimes hurtful!

I feel your pain. I am constantly being ask how much weight have you lost now? Sometimes by a person who ask me the same question 2 days ago. I have just started telling those people I don't know. I don't weigh every day and leave it at that. They usually let it go. It is annoying esp. since I seem to be at a stand still. I think if I were losing 5lbs a week I would probably be more than happy to tell everyone I meet.