Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys,

I am having an issue with my hair thinning. Now I know that its from lack of Protein (because I don't take a protein supplement or shakes like I should be) I didn't think it was a big deal, until slowly I started noticing my hair thinning. I had the surgery last august and have lost about 80lbs. I am wondering if I start making sure I am getting my 50g of protein daily, will this help my hair grow back? I know either way I need to be making that 50g of protein mark, and I am going to really try to do it. Its just something I haven't really given much thought about. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to stop it from getting worse, and how to help get my hair to grow back. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :-)

Hi Kim,

There are lots of posts on this site that you can search on hair loss. But what it boils down to is that you need to maintain proper Protein and Iron levels. Also, Biotin will help in lessening Hair loss and regrowth. Don't worry, it will grow back.

Oh I lost so much of my hair, I was so scared that I was going to have nothing left in a few months. Slowly it stopped falling out in clumps and now I lose a little more than most people but it has started growing back. I see these little spikey pieces of hair sticking out all over my head, thank God for hair care products!

My hair also started thinning at about 3 months post op. Like the other post say, Biotin, maybe some blood work to get the latest on your Iron, B, Protein and other important nutrient levels to reassure you that it is not a deficiency.

I am noticing now that I am starting to get some spikes which I am hoping is the re-growth. I am going with the majority that say it will grow back in 3-6 months after you start to lose it.

Good luck.

I use Biotin. When I stop using it for a few days my husband will notice a difference in the fullness of my hair. I already had thin hair and the surgery made it thin out alittle, but Biotin has been working wonders for me. It is like my hair is thicker then before surgery.

If you are consuming the correct amount of Protein, then that may not be the issue. I heard that hair loss also result from the trauma of the surgery to your body and it healing. My hair stylist also told me that the anesthesia can result in Hair loss.

I haven't had WLS yet but I did have my thyroid removed 7 months ago and I am still experiencing hair loss.