Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is everyone excerising?? I am so bad can not get motivated.

Used to walk everyday, (and that was before surgery) but hurt leg, now I do nothing!!!

Any suggestions on getting me started.

Thanks

My surgeon keeps telling me it only takes 10 minutes of exercise a day to keep your metabolism boosted. I am not good a exercising but I was doing this. I started back to work a couple of weeks ago. I work in a school kitchen and am on my feet and lifting for 6 hours a day. I havn't had the energy to do any exercise after I get home. I feel like I get enough at work but mabye its not the right kind. I meant to ask my doctor about it at my appointment tuesday but forgot since I was so nervous about getting my fill. I really hope at some point I can walk 30 minutes a day at least.

Hi Sandi:

I have the opposite problem. I was banded on Aug 17 and feel like I want to run a marathon (note: I'm not a runner).

But right now all I'm allowed to do is walk. I was told maybe elliptical if I don't use my arms.

I have cheated and used Wii Fit -- lightly.

Do you have/can you find a walking buddy? That might help. It's harder to blow off exercising if you have plans with someone.

Also, one pre-surgery way I got in exercise was a belly dancing class. It was fun, so didn't feel like "exercise."

Unfortunately <sigh> I can't do that right now either!

If you have a hurt leg then you may need to do some other type of exercise. Ask your PCP what type of exercise you can do. They should be able to help you. Once you get back on your feet again, it is time to get walking and active again. It really helps jump start your metabolism and helps you to continue to lose weight.

thanks everyone!

Hey.. well i have a bad knee and now what keeps me motivated is those results... i see my body looking better and i wanna keep that up so i excersize like 5 times a week. and since i have a bad knee i motify some of my work outs. you should definitly talk to your dr and see what excersize would be good for you. i also have found that my knee has been getting a lot better obv. cause of the weight lose but also cause im building the muscle in and around my knee. its hard to get started working out but i promise once you do youll keep it up bc working out is such a feel good thing. its like a high after a good work out. start out by walking a mile or 2.. good luck!

Weird, I just got back from my 2 week post op check up and I am feeling down. I only have lost 8 lbs. and they say it's because I'm not walking 30 minutes a day. I am doing everything by the book and apparently that's the only thing that's keeping me from the "usual 14 lb" loss.

Thoughts??

I just have to say that I LOVE pilates. If you take a class the instructor (providing they are trained) can modify any of the moves to ANY exercise/fitness level. It makes me feel like a million bucks after the workout.

You have to start with what you can do and build from there, dont try to kill yourself with really hard exercise right way.

Being active and on your feet in a job is an advantage, you burn more energy than a sedentary person and it all helps. But its not the right kind of exercise for real weight loss, you need to just be active AND do something hard that makes you sweat.

Its one of those things - you dont have a choice. If you want to lose steadily and lose all your weight, you have to do some exercise and if you're not willing to spend lots of time at it, then it has to be cardio, or cardio/strength combined (as in circuit training or body pump etc). You need to eventually be moving at the pace of a jog, or its equivalent on a bike or elliptical, do something like fast lap swimming, spinning etc to keep weight coming off. It takes time to get there though. It needs to be almost daily.

People lose without exercise, but I dont think you'll find many who lose ALL their weight and keep it off. Things like Pilates are really good for you, they tone you, they strenghten important parts of your body. But they burn hardly any calories at all and do not burn lots of fat. You need cardio for that. Doing both is is great!

If you dont like it, just do it anyway. it only takes half an hour, 45 minutes. How hard is that really?

CLEANING your house thats physical just do it with more vigor!!! I personally love exercising, always have and always will. The only thing is I never think of walking, dancing, gardening as exercise, its just something I like to do. I do weight training as well but I think of that as exercise, but I get the best results from weight training, so I just do it and the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism.

What i'm trying to say is find something that you find fun or things that just have to get done like cleaning and mowing and you might enjoy them more and put more effort in cause you know its great exercise.

Edited by noosagirl
spelling error

True - lol. I do "aerobic housework" when I dont feel like running. Put on the ipod, get dressed for my run and do some housework at TOP SPEED - things that dont usually get done like cleaning windows, vacuuming the entire house at once or cleaning the floor on hands and knees. I scrub really hard and jump around.

By itself its pretty good exercise, but just getting the blood pumping will usually get me more in the mood to then go out and run.

I bought a wii active and it's amazing. Not the wii fit...wii active. There's a ton of aerobic stuff on there to do and it taylors a 30 day challenge to you.

I have a problem with my legs and my breathing. My PCP has recommended that I do Water walking until my weight comes down and my breathing gets better. Hubby and I are planning to join the YMCA which has a pool and a workout room. I can't go but 2-3 times a week due to other responsibilites but that is better than nothing. I am told that lap walking is very good. I sure hope so.

I find that when I need to kick-start an exercise routine, having someone to exercise with really helps and makes me feel guilty if I don't do it.

Why don't you tell a trusted friend that you are struggling and ask if they will help you, even in the short term, to get started?

As for me, I'm 26 days post-op and headed back to gym last week for some swimming; this week I am going to take it up a notch and will be gymming most days for either swimming, treadmill or bike.