Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else throw up at every meal?

I had my 3rd fill almost 3 weeks ago. At the beginning I would throw up every meal and for a day here and there I seemed to be better, eat smaller amounts more frequently and keeping everything down but since Saturday I have been throwing up a few times at every meal. Do you think I should just try eating soft things for a while to see if that helps? Not really sure if I am eating too fast, not chewing enough or if I am just too tight? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have been having the problem of throwing up EVERYTIME I eat. I thought it was I was pregnant as that is how it started with my son, but when I went to the dr she said it is probally acid reflex and going to do a ultrasound next week to find out forsure. You might want to bring that up to your doctor tomorow. There are certain meds they can give you to help with that.

There are times that I have thrown up a lot -- but usually I do not unless I eat too fast. One time, after a fill - I found that I could only eat very slowly and a small amount for about 3-4 wks. One other time -- I found that it was just too tight and I had some taken out. If you have trouble getting liquid down -- you are too tight. You should not have to just eat soft foods. If you are doing that -- it's too tight. Another thing that could be happening is -- that you threw up because you ate too fast and you are swollen and you did not let the swelling go down before eating again. Once you throw up -- you really should just have liquid for the rest of that day to let the swelling go down (which happens from throwing up). If you just keep putting food in on top of the swelling it just makes it worse. Have the liquid and then try the next day to have a small amount of food and eat it slowly. If you find that it stays down -- then that was the problem. If you find that you throw up after 1 day of liquid -- go to the MD and have some fill removed.

Edited by Desdemona

I've had this problem. Sometimes, it's just a piece of food that is stuck because you didn't chew it enough. Other times, i have thrown up Protein Shakes. I've found that my senses are much more sensitive to smells and tastes of things. If you throw up, stick to liquids for the rest of the day. Gradually go to soft foods and then try solids again. It's a hit and miss thing, even when I think I've done everything right, the band thinks otherwise.

I was regurgitating at every meal for a super long time---like 5 or 6 months. I specify regurgitating because for me it wasn't the whole vomiting thing---as soon as I would eat, it would come right back at me, not even having time to get to my stomach. I had an Upper GI last month and had an unfill. While I've managed to gain about 6 pounds, I also finally don't have as many intolerances! I still have issues with eating before lunch time. I can't even have a Protein Shake unless I take it really slowly. But, later in the day, I'm all set. I'm just happy to be able to indulge in foods I thought were long off my list---salads, rice, breads. I never imagined I'd crave a salad or sandwich! I also realize that maybe I'm simply trying to eat too much. I started going back to the basics with measuring and eating slowly and have had a lot more success and fewer incidents. It doesn't sound like reflux. Reflux is really different, but you might consider a very slight unfill. I think they took out .4 last time and it made a world of difference for me. I thought it was going to be like this forever----with regurgitating at every meal---but it doesn't have to be. Sounds like you're too tight. No restriction is worth that. Get some fill taken out. Good luck!

I think it is easy to get into a cycle. It happened to me after a fill because I was still very swollen and started to eat solids. I didn't chew well enough and/or ate to fast and then I was throwing up- well, really just sliming really bad. But that is pretty traumatic itself to your new system and likely furthers the SWELLING. Then it becomes a lose, lose situation if you eat before the swelling is down. You have to give yourself time after each time you throw up or slime just like you give yourself time after a fill to DE-SWELL. It is a nasty cycle and can get pretty bad. But time to heal works and it is pretty amazing what a difference it makes- PLUS YOU'LL LIKELY LOSE WEIGHT DURING THE PROCESS!!! You should always be able to get liquids down and if you are not swollen with proper eating techniques (eating really, really slow and chew, chew, chew) you should be ok with solids- just a really small amount!!! Such a learning process that takes a while to get a handle on- even with relapses!!!!

I had my 3rd fill almost 3 weeks ago. At the beginning I would throw up every meal and for a day here and there I seemed to be better, eat smaller amounts more frequently and keeping everything down but since Saturday I have been throwing up a few times at every meal. Do you think I should just try eating soft things for a while to see if that helps? Not really sure if I am eating too fast, not chewing enough or if I am just too tight? Any suggestions? Thanks!

This has happened to me twice now! The first time I allowed it to go on for months and my weight loss installed. I was so swollen from not allowing my stomach to heal, that I had to get a lot unfilled. I couldn't stand the reflux that came with that. I'd be fine for a day or two, but then right back to throwing up. After I was unfilled the problem went away. I just recently got another fill and it was too much and the problem began again...fine for a few days, then throwing up constantly at every meal and even liquids were hard to get down. He took .5 cc out of my band today and instantly I felt better. I suggest not letting it go on for too long because it can cause a whole host of issues, including band slippage. :thumbup:

Good Luck!!

I PB at a lot of my meals but that's because I STILL (even after almost a year) can't get used to not drinking with meals. But I can totally identify why I'm doing it. If you're "thowing up" (PBing?) with EVERY meal and there doesn't seem to be a logical reason, you should check with your doctor.

I find drinking a tiny sip of Water with each bite helps, especially if something is dry. My doctor said I could drink about as much liquid with a meal as the amount of ice that melts in the glass. It helps a lot with getting things to go down more smoothly.

I also have this problem. I haven't had a fill in a year but continue to throw up. Probably about five to ten times a week. I don't each much but maybe I am just eating the wrong foods. Like they say, we just need to figure out what we should eat. I was put in the hospital because of low potassium, so I am trying to figure foods I can eat with potassium. I don't eat much, mostly the same things over and over again, sometimes they make me throw up and some times they don't. I don't know why this is. :cursing:

I have noticed that when I try and eat way to fast that is when I PB. If I eat slow and take small bites I can still eat almost everything.

I find that I throw up if I don't chew my food well. What I have been trying to do is cut my food in small pcs. that way I don't have as much chewing to do if I put a large amount of food in my mouth.

Once you vomit you need to only have Fluid for the next 24 hours to give the swelling around your band time to go down. DO NOT keep eating because you will most likely keep throwing up! This does not necessarily mean you are too tight....it means you must modify your eating behaviors. Sounds like you are eating too fast, eating too big of bites, and/or not chewing well enough! It takes time to learn how to eat again after each fill. Slow down and take your time!

I was banded on 11-19-09...overnight in the hospital and went home next morning, incisions no issues, but I had this vicious stabbing pain in my left shoulder running up my neck. I told the Dr before I left the hospital and I told all the nurses...everyone said it was the gas they used during surgery and that it would go away. A week went by and then 2 and I still had the pain (although not as bad but still horrible worse when I ate) so I went in to see the Dr about it ...this time he thought I was having esophageal spasms and that with time it would go away....I then went back for my 5/6 week chk and again I complained about this horrific pain in the top of my left shoulder shooting up the side of my neck like someone stabbing me. It happens everytime I take in food or drink. With food it lasts longer...now the Dr and his nurse both said they had no one else complaining about this kind of pain and had no idea what it was....( it is now only when I eat) Fast forward to the present...last week I was searching the net as to possible causes and came across others who have the same problem and they turned me on the Vagus Nerve which runs down the esophagus and along the length of the stomach. From what I can figure it is being pinched either by the band itself or from the hyatal hernia he fixed during surgery. Now I find out that damage to this nerve can cause your voice to go hoarse and even stop, can cause heart palpitations, depression, pain in the neck and other things.

Please if anyone who reads this has the same problem---get in touch with me I want to hear from you --I also want to know what can be done about this, short of removal of the band (which I do not want) --so please write and let me know:confused:...

thanks for reading

Hi there,

My Dr. thinks I may have vagus nerve issues as well. I am only 6 days out of surgery but I can't stop throwing up.....band is not filled so no restriciton and scans show it isn't really swollen. He told me that some time the Vagus nerve can be damaged or in my case "Fall asleep" after surgery. He told be there are medicines that can be taken to fix the proble. I hope you find relief soon!