Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

flying: will I fit.

I am flying to hawaii on thursday. the first part is in a little puddle jumper. I am having serious anxiety attacks. I weigh 300 pounds. at 280 I could fit without an extension. what if I can't get the armrest down because of my spread. I just want to cancel it rather than put up with the embarrassment. anyone out there had this problem. I would feel better if I knew someone who was 400 pounds was able to fit... any help or info appreciated.

Don't stress it, relax and enjoy your vacation!

enjoy your vacation! If you need an extender then get an extender. Just ask. You are not the first person to need one. I weighed 400 pounds when I went to the bahamas but I sat with my 6 year old and used some of his seat.I needed an extender too. Are you traveling with anyone? Oh and I carry all my weight in my butt so there ya go. I was a little imbarassed to ask for the extender but they never blinked an eye when I asked. have fun

At 250 I did not need an extender but I may carry my weight differently than you do. I think you will be OK though, it will probably be tight, but I think you will be good.

do I buy an extender or get one at the gate checkin or what? I have been reading some real nasty stuff on the net from people who think fat is discusting (how do you spell that) I have been overweight most of my adult life and I have never felt so awful until now. at age 30 I would of just walked on up and said of course I fit. now at 60 I would just crawl away. I think between now and then I need to get my family to do an intensive build up mom class. thanks I appreciate the advice.

Unless you plan to fly A LOT and don't plan on losing weight, no need to buy an extender.

When you get on the plane, there is generally a flight attendant right at the door greeting you. When she says "welcome" (or whatever), greet her and tell her that you think you might need an extender. On larger planes they have spare extenders. On some smaller planes (puddle jumpers) they sometimes use that demo seatbelt (you know, the one the f/a uses to demonstrate buckling and unbuckling) as the extender. I've never had to ask twice and believe me, they want to make sure you are safely fastened.

Some planes are roomy (and seem to ahve long seat belts) and some aren't. It's hard to predict. I would just ask for the extender early so that the f/a has a heads-up that you might need assistance.

You should fit at that weight. I had to suck it in, but I could click without and extender at that weight. I agree not to buy one. You will be losing weight and won't need one. I went on a plane last week up to visit my Mom and got to pull six inches on the belt! It felt so good I let out a little woohoo and people looked at me like I was crazy. I didn't care. You will get there too.