Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost Too Much Weight

When I was on the richard Simmons site, (3yrs ago) a woman wound up telling Walmart that she could not stand and they changed her hours.

As for you,,,,,,,,,,since, you had the surgery and had a doctors note......OPEN your mouth and tell them that you are not ready to pack and if not you will call the Dept of Labor

YOU GOT the banding and now you must repeat MUSt open the mouth...if you feel speaking to your boss is risky,,,no way,,,you taking the first step to a new life..banded..and it is worth the fight

good luck

umystifyme, Sounds like you are doing great!!

Jollygreen is right, It is important to tell the doctor what your work involves so they can determine what is acceptable post op. Post carpal tunnel surgery, I had to explain I filled out 7-11 4 page forms longhand and signed my name 4 places for each docuement completed, every day. The doctor's note finally let me change the process and use a signature stamp.( ALso cut out a lot of time )

Well, the past 3 weeks have been not so great. I have been in a lot of pain at the port site. If I am off of work, the pain goes away or is less severe. It's throughout my work day that the pain becomes unbearable. At the moment my surgeon is at his wits end. :cursing: And so am I.

i have followed your story from beginning to end .. and i have one question with all the good and bad days that you have had have you manage to lose any weight???? are you finding it difficult to follow the rules?

umystifyme, With all your work and falls, etc.,perhaps the area is bruised? Did the surgeon suggest one of those wide belt like wraps they use over large stomachs post surgery? I had one post C-section- it gave more suppport than a girdle and was easier to remove.:thumbup:

i have followed your story from beginning to end .. and i have one question with all the good and bad days that you have had have you manage to lose any weight???? are you finding it difficult to follow the rules?

I am 7 weeks post-op and I have lost a total of 12 lbs. I have not had a fill yet. My weight has remained the same for the past few weeks. I have not been going to the gym. Yes, I am finding it difficult to follow the rules. I'm hungry all the time and I am not working out because I am in pain. I'm trying to eat healthy but my portion sizes are larger than I they were immediately after surgery.

umystifyme, With all your work and falls, etc.,perhaps the area is bruised? Did the surgeon suggest one of those wide belt like wraps they use over large stomachs post surgery? I had one post C-section- it gave more suppport than a girdle and was easier to remove.:thumbup:

Hi Sue,

My surgeon is suggesting that he remove the port permanently. :thumbup:

umystifyme, Oh my, after all this, to have it removed is such a blow.. Does he think it is damaged? ....Other bandsters have had their band removed because of various problems. Is he sugesting a time to redo the band later?

My .02...

I have a very active job. My surgeon told me I could go back to work in a couple days with lifting as normal after two weeks. Until he found out that normal lifting was 25 pounds plus. Then he told me no more than 5 pounds for the first 2 weeks...no more than 10 pounds for 4 more weeks and then...maybe...depending on how my port was feeling (as in soreness) 15 pounds. I was not allowed to lift 25 lbs for about 10 weeks.

I went back to work the day after surgery and just did some desk work for a few hours before going home and crashing. The second day was better. I found that for almost 2 months after surgery, my port was quite sore at the end of a day because I was on my feet, bending, stretching, lifting and moving the entire time.

I would guess this has been your major problem and it may have been compounded by falling on your part. I know when I leaned over too quickly into the washer and hit my port with the side of the washer, I was sorer than usual for a few days. I can't imagine how it must've hurt to fall on it.

I wouldn't let him take it out just yet. I would start being very conscious of how much weight I'm lifting. If needed, ask for a note to take to your work that you cannot lift over 5-10# and give your port site time to heal. My surgeon could tell by looking at my port site that it was inflamed and most likely because I was lifting too much (or even not too much but for long periods of time).

I've worked a checkout and there's a lot of upper body movement going on which may be aggravating your port. I was told to put a warm compress on mine in the evenings when I got home. You might try that.

Hang in there.

umystifyme, Oh my, after all this, to have it removed is such a blow.. Does he think it is damaged? ....Other bandsters have had their band removed because of various problems. Is he sugesting a time to redo the band later?

I've spoken to him in greater detail and since my pain is less severe than it was last week and the prior weeks, we are going to see how everything goes from here. No he does not think my band is damaged. Nor does he think my port is damaged. When he examined me, everything was fine. Meaning there is no hernia or swelling around the port area. He does not know why I am in such pain and discomfort after 7 weeks post-op. He said he's never had a patient that has had this experience. I think a big problem is that he does not understand how physically demanding my job is. He thought I should only take 1 week off and thought it was ridiculous that I took 4 weeks off. Now he wants me to take more time off. It's a little late for that.

I can't have surgery again as I don't have insurance anymore. There are several things he wants to try and surgery is his VERY last resort. But hearing that made me really upset and depressed.

My .02...

I have a very active job. My surgeon told me I could go back to work in a couple days with lifting as normal after two weeks. Until he found out that normal lifting was 25 pounds plus. Then he told me no more than 5 pounds for the first 2 weeks...no more than 10 pounds for 4 more weeks and then...maybe...depending on how my port was feeling (as in soreness) 15 pounds. I was not allowed to lift 25 lbs for about 10 weeks.

I went back to work the day after surgery and just did some desk work for a few hours before going home and crashing. The second day was better. I found that for almost 2 months after surgery, my port was quite sore at the end of a day because I was on my feet, bending, stretching, lifting and moving the entire time.

I would guess this has been your major problem and it may have been compounded by falling on your part. I know when I leaned over too quickly into the washer and hit my port with the side of the washer, I was sorer than usual for a few days. I can't imagine how it must've hurt to fall on it.

I wouldn't let him take it out just yet. I would start being very conscious of how much weight I'm lifting. If needed, ask for a note to take to your work that you cannot lift over 5-10# and give your port site time to heal. My surgeon could tell by looking at my port site that it was inflamed and most likely because I was lifting too much (or even not too much but for long periods of time).

I've worked a checkout and there's a lot of upper body movement going on which may be aggravating your port. I was told to put a warm compress on mine in the evenings when I got home. You might try that.

Hang in there.

Elfie Poo,

Thank you SO much for your candid and honest account of your post-surgical experiences. It's a relief to know that I am not the only one out there that is or has experienced soreness at the port site weeks after having surgery. My surgeon knew that I was a cashier and everything that it entailed.

Where I work, is a small family owned business and you rarely have a bagger. Not only do I cashier but I do my own bagging and I get carts. Also, I am a supervisor and take care of the front end.

I returned to work 8 days post-op and worked a 9 hr shift. I repeatedly scanned cases of soda, beer, and Water. I was constantly lifting cartons of juice and milk. I had to lift 25-40 lb bags of dog/cat food. I also lifted 25-40 lb bags of Water softner salt. Also, I lifted countless bags of cat litter ranging between 10-40 lbs. During this 9 hr shift, I did not have a bagger. I did all my own bagging and placed everything in the customers carts myself. It was New Year's Eve and we were packed. I was ringing up and packing orders between $25-$350. I never once complained.

I just took off another 3 weeks from work, which my doctor thought was ridiculous. He actually laughed at me and said, "Come on, Amy. That's too long." But he complied with my request.

I returned again 4 wks post-op, feeling great. The first two days went really well. After that, I could feel a pulling and twisting feeling at the port site, which would later turn into a burning sensation. The pain became unbearable. I sat down with my surgeon and explained in great detail everything I do at work. I think he finally understood how physically demanding my job was. He wanted me to take more time off. I couldn't. They didn't know the real reason why I took off from work to begin with. He told me to take Advil to get through the days. That didn't help. Finally he prescribed some pain meds that helped ease the pain once I got home from work. It's just odd that I'm fine until about 2 hrs into my shift. IF I have a bagger then I am ok. When I have a day or two off, I am fine. When I return to work, the pain returns. I know it is the job. The repeated movements I make all day long. The lifting I do repeatedly.

If I have any restrictions at all, my job will not allow me to work and/or they will let me go. I've been told that.

Thank you for your insight. I greatly appreciate it and it was right on the money. I will try to be more careful about how much I lift and more conscious of my movements. I will also try to warm compresses. It's getting better. I just hope that it continues to do so.

I'm almost 8 wks post-op and I saw my surgeon today for a check-up. I still have not had a fill. I'm still experiencing a lot of pain at the port site. However, my surgeon says everything is fine. He gave me the go ahead to start working out again. He wants me to keep a journal of what activities cause the most pain.

I have lost 3 lbs since my last visit and he said I am doing well considering I haven't had a fill yet. He said I am probably still healing. It's frustrating for both of us. Hopefully this will go away soon.

If anyone else has experienced problems with pain at their port site or has known of someone who has, please let me know.

Thank you for your support.

Amy

I'm wondering why so many of you are 7-8 weeks post surgery and haven't had a fill yet? I had surgery Feb. 8th...I did (almost) 2 weeks of puree, I'm on my first couple days of soft and my first fill is March 5th (about 4 weeks post surgery).

If there is no fill - that means there is NO restriction right now. And, it's kind of dangerous to be eating more than you should, because it can stretch out your pouch.

I would definitely be expressing concern to my surgeon and center!!!!

Lots of prayers to everyone who is having a tough time right now and I hope things work out. Having gone through a surgery and things still aren't looking up = HORRIBLE.

I'm wondering why so many of you are 7-8 weeks post surgery and haven't had a fill yet? I had surgery Feb. 8th...I did (almost) 2 weeks of puree, I'm on my first couple days of soft and my first fill is March 5th (about 4 weeks post surgery).

If there is no fill - that means there is NO restriction right now. And, it's kind of dangerous to be eating more than you should, because it can stretch out your pouch.

I would definitely be expressing concern to my surgeon and center!!!!

Lots of prayers to everyone who is having a tough time right now and I hope things work out. Having gone through a surgery and things still aren't looking up = HORRIBLE.

You should do what your individual surgeon tells you to do. Period. Some have different requirements and waiting times than others depending on the person and their specific needs including possible medical needs and co-morbidies. You can't pile everyone into one basket. There are also specific guidlelines about what you should be eating during this time period. It is without a doubt for most the most difficult time of the journey and it shapes your behaviors and eating modifications for your future weight loss success.

You should do what your individual surgeon tells you to do. Period.

I've known too many people who did just that and ended up either dead or with lifelong complications as a result of misguided information.

Our surgeons and doctors are *nothing* more than another human being, capable of error and they are not omniscient. That MD behind their name does not necessarily mean they know more than a lay person.

If I had a doctor who wouldn't give me a fill until 2 or 3 months postop and came to this board and found that people were getting fills at 4 weeks postop and restriction by 3 months postop, I'd certainly go back to my doctor and find out what the deal is.

Sad to say, but it's apparent by the posts on this forum that there are way too many surgeons who obviously don't really understand the role the band plays when they tell their patients they won't give a fill *until* they lose some weight...or make their patients wait 3 months for their first fill. It's also obvious by the number of people who 'change' their doctor's minds and get their fills that the doctor didn't have a concrete reason in mind for why not to give fills. Kudos for the person for being proactive. Kudos to the doctor for keeping an open mind.