Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. James Atkinson - Getting banded 8/28/09

I got banded 1/12/09. The surgery did not work and now I weigh more than befor. Atkinson will not stand behind the stuff he tells you at the seminar. You can get all the free fill you need in the first three months. The first time you can go back for a fill is one month and that leaves 2 months.So after your first fill does not work and you call for an appointment to get a fill may be on the 4 month after the surgery then you have to pay. He (Dr. Atkinson) has a money making business, Dr, Atkinson is a multi-millionaire. He could care less about you. He does the surgery and then you never see him again.

I had my band in june and I have all the free fills for one year. I do agree with you that you will never see Dr. Atkinson after you have your surgery. The office people are fake friendly, but my favorite is Brian, he is always very kind and supportive.

I got banded 1/12/09. The surgery did not work and now I weigh more than befor. Atkinson will not stand behind the stuff he tells you at the seminar. You can get all the free fill you need in the first three months. The first time you can go back for a fill is one month and that leaves 2 months.So after your first fill does not work and you call for an appointment to get a fill may be on the 4 month after the surgery then you have to pay. He (Dr. Atkinson) has a money making business, Dr, Atkinson is a multi-millionaire. He could care less about you. He does the surgery and then you never see him again.

When making your appointments, have you asked specifically to see Dr. Atkinson?

I'm at the same office but I see Dr. Soong. Sometimes I ask specifically for my appointment with him and sometimes I see one of the PAs or Dr. Tice. But the reason that I ask is because I won't get an appointment with Dr. Soong if I don't ASK for one.

As far as paying, don't you pay for every other doctor you see? I'd love to visit my PCP for 3 months without a co-payment. Didn't you know prior to surgery that you would need after care, especially with the fills, and that like every other doctor's appointment you have you'd be required to pay? Those doctors and PAs offer you a SERVICE and in return, you PAY for it. That's just the way the world works so I'm not sure really what your complaint is that you got free after care and now you have to pay. What part of the pre-op process made you think you would no longer have to pay? I'm not sure why your second fill was in the 4th month, perhaps you should have spoken up and asked for a sooner appointment. But beyond the fill didn't you go in for a wound check -- where you didn't have to pay? That would mean that you got 2 visits free in 3 months.

Also, you said that your surgery "did not work." How so? What's wrong? What's happening that you weigh more now than before? Are you attending support groups? Are you doing the mental work?

I cannot fathom gaining weight post-op and I can only imagine how discouraging that would be. So I have to ask if you're doing the work and doing what it takes to lose weight?

Lastly, in regards to the seminar I'm sure you and I heard different things. My surgery was in June 2010 but my seminar was in June 2009 (my insurance required a lot for me to get surgery, delay was not due to doctors). There has not been one single thing that was told to me in the seminar, pre-op classes, pre-op appointments that every single person in that office hasn't backed up. So I ask you, what was told to you in the seminar that you feel Dr. Atkinson isn't standing behind?

I'm certainly not trying to be bitchy. But if there's a problem, it sounds like you'd be a lot better off getting to the root of that problem. And I'd certainly be willing to help, if you'll allow me. Otherwise, I wish you all the best!

hi! I'm moving to Las Vegas in the next few months and I'm looking now for a bariactric surgeon. I had my surgery done here in Rochester on 7/7/10 by Dr DiBenedetto and he's amazing! My appointments are ALWAYS with him. He's always very busy but unless you need to come in for an un-fill on a day that he's in the OR (like yesterday) you always see him.

So this Dr Atkinson, you pretty much never see him after surgery? That concerns me....

hi! I'm moving to Las Vegas in the next few months and I'm looking now for a bariactric surgeon. I had my surgery done here in Rochester on 7/7/10 by Dr DiBenedetto and he's amazing! My appointments are ALWAYS with him. He's always very busy but unless you need to come in for an un-fill on a day that he's in the OR (like yesterday) you always see him.

So this Dr Atkinson, you pretty much never see him after surgery? That concerns me....

Most of my friends who have had the procedure do not see the surgeon again unless having problems. The PA's do a great job.