Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters in Their 20's

I was wondering if there were anyone bandsters in their 20's? What has been your experience thus far? Have you shared the news with most people? When was your surgery date? What has been some of your goals? etc...

This site is very resourceful but just looking for people around my age who have are going through this life change!

Hope you hear from you all soon!!! :)

hey I'm not 20 but I'm 18 (: I didn't have a good expieriance the first week I was nauseated and I actually had to go to the ER one day but it didn't do much help but I went and saw my surgeron that week and gave me better nausea pill now I'm better (: my surgery was July 31st I lost 12 pounds before pre op 8 pounds on pre op and 11 pounds after surgery. I'm on mushy stage and it's all right, I'm going to start walking twice a day every other day and the other day walk once and this Friday I'm going to add a light workout. The only people who know are people in my household. Like what kind of goals?

It's been getting better so far. I have the band that has a fill in of when they put it in I don't get a fill for another 3 weeks and it kind of scares me.

But yup I'm looking for people my age as well(:

Hey, I had my surgery 6-29-2009. I am 27. So far, I have told pretty much everyone. It has helped my stay accountable when I want to eat crap or don't want to exercise. To date, I have lost 28 lbs (my ticker is not updated). I am very glad I got the band, no regrets at all. I have a a very good experience. The first 5 days were the worst for me b/c of pain. It was explained to me there was little to no pain at all with this "same day surgery" I would have to disagree a little! LOL Those days sucked! I got my first fill 9 days ago and I can definitely tell a difference. I do not get sick or stuffed, but I get a disctinctly full feeling. It is hard to get used to when I am eating so little compared to what I used to. Like my brain is saying, there is no way you are full! I get on this site nearly everyday and check out the stories and photos of others at their goal. It is so encouraging to me. My only regret is I did not get this done sooner. I feel like I have spent so many years depressed about my weight and now I want to make up time! Anyways, always looking for support. Look forward to meeting other 20 somethings!!

Edited by tyffani81

I was banded 7-20-09 and I am 24. My surgery went well only had about 5-7 days where I fealt different. I took 2 weeks off of work and the second week I was getting back to normal activities. I am down about 22 lbs so far. So far I haven't had trouble with nausea or anything getting stuck. I do not have any regrets right now-I am in what they call "bandster hell" meaning I do not have a fill yet so my restriction I was having from the surgery and everything being swollen is fading and I am able to eat more. I work out about 4-6 days a week 20 min on treadmill, 20 on eliptical and some days another 20 on a bike. My I am looking to lose about another 80 lbs and I have no doubt in my mind I can and will lose it. I just have to remember to be patient :) I hope that answered some of your questions!

I just got banded on 8/11 and although I am only a few days out, I feel great. I can't really say I have had any bad days. I was up and walking right after I got out of recovery and didn't even fill the pain meds they gave me at discharge. My cuts still hurt a little but nothing major.

I think it is different for everyone. Just go into your surgery with a good attitude and determination to change and everything will be great.

I was banded June 18th. I am doing great. I've almost lost 50 pounds and I'm thrilled. Here is my blog, you can read about my experience if you like: Violinist With A Band

Lot of wisdom on these boards. Good luck with your journey!

Hey Im 21...I had my surgury july 17..was in ALOTTT of pain afterwards but eventually it went away...Im exactly 1 month post op! :) I lost 19 pounds so far and Im hoping to lose 5 more b4 I get my first fill next week

I was banded 2/05/09 and I am 23. My surgery went well. I was nauseated only after I woke up in recovery and needed pain meds. It was a very bumpy ride to a room :) I was sore for a little while but nothing too bad. I was expecting it to hurt a lot to be cut open. I am very happy with the band, I am down 63 lbs since surgery (100 since the start of the hoops insurance made me jump through :)). I have only had one fill and so far its enough for me. I only told my family and my close friends. If people that saw me before the surgery ask I do tell them too.

Take LOTS of before pictures! I take pictures on the start of every month so I can look and see how far I have come. Some random pictures I wish I took were of my hands. They definitely went down in ring size, but I wish I had a before picture :sad:

Hi,

I am 22. I had my surgery Wednesday 8/12. When I came out of sugary I was in a lot of pain but they quickly gave me meds and I felt OK that day and the next day at the hospital. I went home the following day and slept mostly, I was pretty uncomfortable for Friday and Saturday. Sunday I had the runs all day, I couldn’t keep anything in me!!! I felt hot and dehydrated. And Sunday afternoon I started getting weird twitching in my jaw – like it was locking up. It was the most uncomfortable weirdest thing – finally it subsided but then came back like an hour later about 100x worse – so my husband took me to the er and they knew right away it was from my anti-nausea meds! They gave me Benadryl and it went away in a couple minutes – but what a scare!!!!!!!

So today is Monday and I am feeling better, my husband is back to work today so I am on my own. I actually feel pretty good today – I have been regretting my decision for surgery this week – but I know its gets better!. I already lost 25 Pre Op and since Wednesday another 13lbs! So that’s at least good news.

I am just looking forward to having more strength and being able to get out of the house and back to work and my normal routine, I’m hopping that will come with the next stage of foods where I can have creamy Soups and yogurt – I am only on Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks right now…. Cant wait for a few more weeks to go by and see how I’m feeling…

I am 25 and banded on 6/29/09, I feel like that day is my new birthday, I will never forget it. I am down 27 pounds and have had one fill, still searching for that sweet spot. I think my real journey actually started last week, it was the first time I wasn't craving foods and was okay with not eating dinner or skipping a snack. I feel normal not like the big girl eating the huge plate of food. I even brought out my heels last week and started to wear them to work again. Before my feet would be to swollen and my confidents would be to low but it is starting to get back up there and I am starting to see the real me again.

Hey there, I am 28 yrs old. I had my surgery on July 29, 2009. I was not on any pre-op diet. I have lost 13lbs since my surgery which was almost 3 weeks ago. It doesn't seem a lot especially compared to some of the people but I am very content with it b/c I know it isnot going to just automatically go away. I was fine after surgery. 3 days passed and I started having some sharp pains on my side and not where the port was. It was found out to be that I had inflammation on my ribs so everytime I breathed it hurt. They had me taking iboprofeun with pain meds. I didn't even take pain meds till then. But after about 3 days it settled and I felt a lot better. A week after surgery I was back to myself and doing well. I try to walk a mile a day. Sometimes I don't get that in but I do try. I feel great and I know it will be a great experience. Good Luck to you with your surgery and all.

Hey everyoneee! I'm 21 years old.. was banded on August 11th 09 : ) Im from the cape and go to school in west hartford, ct. The process for me was pretty easy. I went to the group meeting on June 27th, went for my sleep study ( I have sleep apnea), met with the nutrionist to go over the pre-op and post op diets, and has my pre-op appointment. My insurance covered the surgery, thankgod. I'm a little bit nervous about going back to school next week ( going into my senior year in college). I'm going to be in my mushy phase and it's going to be interesting because I didn't really tell anyone at school I had lap band surgery, they know I had a hernia fixed ( which is the truth). I've lost 22 lbs so far including pre-op weight...

Hello there! I am 27 y/o and was banded on 8/6/09. Unfortunately I had to self pay but I had a hernia to be fixed so they filed the insurance to do the hernia repair and I only had to pay for the band itself out of pocket (saved like $10K). I have since resumed my regular activities and have had some pain and swelling around my port area, but I am feeling better every day. My husband is very supportive of the process, but I have only told a few friends (I have some hater friends out there unfortunately) and plan to keep it that way, or at least until I lose a good amount of weight. Looking forward to the journey ahead.

Hello...Im 26 years old and I work as a nurse on the bariatric floor. I was banded on July 20, 2009. My first week was hell!!! The biggest problem I experienced was getting rid of the gas and I started having pains in the left side of my neck, but it eventually went away. I also had pain at the port site, which took about 2 weeks to go away. Im about 1 month post op and have lost about 20 lbs. I can tell the swelling has gone down because Im able to eat more. I am now on a high Protein diet, which i will be on for the next few weeks. Occasionally i do get sick (vomit), but thats only when i dont chew my food very well. I'm scheduled to have my first fill on August 27 so we will see how that goes. But I'll have to say the roughest thing for me was the 2 weeks of clear and full liquids. It's hard but I got through it! If you were to ask me if I would do it all over again, I would have to say Hell Yeah! Good Luck!

Hi! I am now 28 but was banded at the age of 27. My surgery was March 31, 2008 and my weight was 282. I saw my surgeon today and weighed in at 130 lbs. Post op was not too bad for me. I took it easy for about a week. The most uncomfortable part for me was the gas pains following the few days post op.

I never just made an announcement that I had the band, but my close family and friends knew. After a few months, I became more comfortable discussing it in the open and now I can discuss it with anyone.

I did not have any problems with my band until this year. I now have a concentric dilatation. I actually had a barium swallow performed today. But I had a pretty smooth experience until approximately January of this year. I would still do it all over again.

Good luck with your surgery! It's so exciting and life changing :)