Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2009 Surgery Date?

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a long while. I was banded on October 15. I'm really enjoying my journey. Not losing too quickly, but as my doc says, "don't compare yourself to others." I've lost 44 pounds! And when was the last time I could say I've lost that amount in 4.5 months? uh....never!

I've been working really hard at exercising. I'm going to Curves 3-4 times a week, and my daugther and I signed up to do the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer (39 miles in two days) in September. So we're starting our training walks. I'm a 17 year breast cancer survivor, so being able to do this walk with my daughter is really special.

I have my appointment this afternoon. I'm really not sure if I want a fill or not. I mean, I do because I want more weight loss, but since my fill 6 weeks ago, I've been experiencing more stuff getting stuck....so not sure if that will get worse with a fill...or what. I'll talk to the doc about that.

Another thing is that I've been experiencing Hair loss lately. I am orthodox christian and during this period of lent, we abstain from ALL animal products (including dairy, eggs, cheese), so it's a total vegan diet for me. Though I'm having my morning Protein Shake with soy milk, I feel that the hair loss is a direct result of the lessening of Protein. I'll have to discuss that with the doc too and see what he says.

So that's the update for me!

I hope you are all well.

love,

me

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in awhile. I was Banded on Oct 23. I have successfully lost 69lbs all together with the pre-op diet. I have lost 59 of those lbs since surgery. I've had 3 fills and I am feeling some great restriction. I'm not sure I have actually hit the 'sweet spot' yet but it's very close. Maybe one more small fill will do that. I have gone from a size 26 to a 16. I feel AWESOME. I have 36 more pounds before I hit Onederland and I hope to be there by this summer.

I am SO happy that the nice weather is getting here. Today I was able to walk outside for the first time in many days because of the snow we've gotten here (sshh that's a bad word). I do go to the gym but I would rather walk outside. The treadmill gets boring after awhile.

Hope everyone is doing good.

Congrats on everyone's loss!!!

I stopped weighing myself after I hit my sweet spot.

Some days i am tight some days I can eat a cup of food at a time.

I am down from a 12 to an 8 and am in heaven.

I havent had any complications since I thought I was too tight. I can not eat 4 hours before I go to sleep or I will spit up all night. Anyone else have that problem?

I have had only 3 fills but I have a 5cc band that's just about full.

What does everyone think about meeting up somewhere like Vegas or LA or anywhere to Celebrate in October???

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hi Everyone

Havent been on for a while as been unwell but still going strong. Although loosing very slowly very happy with progress. I have lost 25lbs to date so have lost nearly half what I want to since being banded. I bought a size 12 jeans last week which was wonderful but still have a big tummy hanging over them so will keep going. Doing this really for my health as need to get into the healthy weight range and get my BMI down as I have problems with BP and Cholestorol. I have had two fills now and have 5 mls can eat a small plateful and not being sick like I have been in the past, so think I will hold off for another fill until I stop loosing. I am happy with about 1/2 to 1lb per week as if it goes off slowly it wont come back on too fast!! if ever..... It is hard work but worth it, I would never say a Gastric Band is the easy option but it does support me and I am glad I have one. There is light at the end of the tunnel as I have lost it all once before but it went back on and more... Keep up the hardwork everyone its nearly tankini time...... Too old for a bikini!!

Hi Daria,

I had my band placed the same day as you.. I have had 3 fills, gone from 225 to 196.5lbs so far..Howz it going for you? Have some problmes with meat early in the day, can eat Protein Shake and coffe in the morning..dinner seems when I can eat the most

Hi Wisteria. I am your banding buddy as I was also banded on 16th October 2009 in Belgium! I have had a few setbacks myself and have lost 19 lbs. I had a hiccup over Christmas and it took me a while to get back into it. Had my second fill at end of Jan and now have 5 mls in the band. Good Luck with your band, it is hard work but I am glad I have it! x:thumbup:

Hi Oliverdog,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. So we are banding buddies! :) I was banded in the U.S. Have you lost anymore weight other than the 19 lbs.? I definitely know that I have lost 20 but not sure if I have lost more. I have been struggling with my eating habits (chocolate, sweets, etc.) I haven't really been as good as I should and I feel I've been "abusing" the band. I had my 3rd fill a month ago; I now have 4.6cc's in a 10cc band according to my doc. Sounds like you are right on track. It is very hard work, and like I said I am struggling, and need to find some support and support groups. I'm so very glad I have it as well because it's been a very long time since I have been able to lose weight (over 10 years) so I love it. I have to be better to myself and the band though. Cutting out all the sweets. I also find myself hungry a lot so I have a fill on 4/26 and hopefully that'll help me. Best of luck to you too. Keep in touch "buddy".

Renee

hard to believe it has been 6 months hope everyone one is well!

WOW! 6 months! How time flies when you're able to be out enjoying life :thumbup:.

I'm doing well. I've only had 2 fills (last time I went in, they didn't think I needed one, and honestly, I probably don't)...so I have 4.5 cc's and I seem okay with that. I can eat 3-4 ozs solid Protein and then I'm done...I stay full for 4-5 hours...some days I'm hungrier than others, but I just make smarter choices about what I choose to eat on those days than I would have in the past. The weight loss is slowing down now, but it's still moving in the right direction, so I'm happy about it (it's not going up, right?). It is a lot of work (especially in the beginning), but I've found that the more I do it, the more it becomes habit and now it doesn't even occur to me most of the time to pick up something that doesn't offer me anything nutritionally (junk)....don't get me wrong, at times, junk looks really good - but I just walk away and look up the calories and see how much EXTRA I'd have to run/walk/work-out to burn it off, and suddenly, it's not so appealing, LOL.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying focused. For those that are struggling - don't lose hope, just keep making the right choices more often than not and exercise if you can and it will start coming off, I'm sure (perhaps slow, but as long as it's moving south - you're good, right?)

awesome HDmama it is hard work but it gets easier to make "good" choices! great job!!

It seems like yesterday I had my surgery. Wow how time flies. For most of the time I am doing well and of course feeling MUCH better then I did 6 months ago. I think 6 months ago I was also still a little critical of whether the band would actually work for me. Now as I finally hit the 81lbs mark, I CAN'T BELEIVE IT! In my entire life of dieting I have never been able to take off this much weight, plus keep it off. I have had 4 fills so far, and I have hit the sweet spot. I am NEVER hungry.

It hasn't been an easy journey. I've had to tackle my bad habits a few times. I've also had to endure a few episodes of being stuck and a few episodes of bringing that stuck back up again. All of which I have learned that the reason that I am getting stuck is because I need to take more time to chew and more time to cut my food into smaller peices. The band really is a tool. It's not a miracle cure that's going to change your life so drasitcally that you will never fall back into your old ways. You can't just sit back and let the band do all of the work for you. I think there are alot of people that fall into the mind set that because the band is not a 'diet' you can rely on the band to tell you when to stop eating. NOT SO. Yes the band is not a diet. Meaning that you can pretty much eat anything you want, in moderation. You have to still weigh and measure your food. You do have to watch your calories and carbs and you do have to control your Protein intake. But you don't have to minus points because you had a peice of cheesecake or a peice of chocolate, double layer cake. You don't have to save your points up so that you can 'cheat' at the end of the week (Weight Watcher). You don't have to pay $1000's a month to have special foods shipped to you in the mail (Nutrisystem or Jenny Craig). You don't have to really have to follow the Glycemic Index chart (South Beach). But you do have to work. If the LAP-BAND® was a miracle cure all, I would have gotten it done YEARS ago just to watch the weight fall off of me overnight without having to work at it. The LAP-BAND® is a tool because it helps you to lose the weight and keep it off. So you ask if it's not a diet then couldn't I have lost the weight without going through the surgery? I think the only way to answer that is..you probably could diet and take the weight off, but the real question is, would you be able to KEEP the weight off? My answer to that would be no. Not without the help of the Lapband. And just because you have the tool, doesn't mean that you won't fall off the path once and awhile.

Anyway I am feeling so much better about myself. I'm hoping to be taken off my CPAP in the next few weeks. I'm going for another sleep study soon. And then in June I go for another Echo Cardiogram to see how my heart is doing (I had open heart surgery for an Aortic Aneurysm and Valve replacement in 2001. I had a pigs valve put in which only lasts for 10 years.) and hopefully I have prolonged my next surgery by losing the weight. I have 39lbs to go until I reach my doctors goal weight. I would like to keep losing more.

What I would say to anyone that is just starting out or for those that are struggling. DO NOT GIVE UP! Things do get easier as you go along. If you make up your mind that you are going to do something, no one or no thing can stop you. You just have to beleive in yourself. Have faith that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And if you fall off the path, don't beat yourself up, just get back up and keep walking. Everyone makes mistakes you are only human. Old habits die hard. And remember the only Great tasting food is the taste of being thin and healthy again!! And do not judge the weightloss of others to you. Some people lose weight faster then others. That doesn't mean you won't get there someday. Keep going. Your awesome!! God bless everyone and keep up the great work. Here's to alot of healthier people!! :thumbup:

Edited by Astrasmom

Amen Astrasmom!

I had done what I never wanted... an unfill.

Oh well, I was too tight & I didn't want any compications so I had 1 cc taken out.

I've had 2 fills since then I believe I am at a normal healthy sweet spot.

I was worried they would take too much out & they did... But I am back on track now and am still happy!

workin on the road, so I have very limmitted comp. axcess but had to share my news, Banded Oct.6th 2009 299lbs presurgery wt of 312lbs. April 20th 2010 212lbs!!!!!!!!

Whoooooo hooo I'm down 100lbs since my first meet with my Dr. 30lbs to go an majorly motivatited! I will make it! This is my lowest wt since 1990!:smile:

Hey fellow Oct 2009 bandsters! I was banded on 10/8/09 and have lost 78 lbs (322 to 244) and although it isnt as fast as I had imagined it would be, I'm very happy so far. I just had what I think will be my last fill for awhile. I had restriction about half the time and with this one, I'm thinking it's going to be some serious restriction. I have struggled with eating things I shouldn't (sugar free ice cream and lots of nuts). I walk 30 minutes about 4 or 5 times a week. I am feeling better than I have in a long, long time. I see that we are all doing about the same. I expect that 6 months from now, we are all going to be pretty happy with the results. Bye!

Just touching base. Hope you`re all doing well and melting away. The weight loss has been pretty slow but steady for me, about 1lb a week. That`s ok though. I`m well restricted now so I hope to go a bit further by October. Can`t wait to reach goal. Have an enjoyable summer.