Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Experiences

I guess just like pre-op diets, and post-op diets, post-fill diets differ per doctor/person.. that's the gist I get from reading the posts I have thus far anyway. I have my first fill scheduled for Friday. I'm slightly nervous, because the incision where my port is, isn't totally healed... it's getting there.. and I'm sitting here thinking that a needle in a scab *does not sound fun*, but, I'm trying not to think about it too much, and keep my eye on the prize..

Thankfully, I'm going to a lapband support group meeting tomorrow night, so I can have my concerns addressed in person and maybe feel eased. :-)

~Sonia

Hey Sonia,

Just so you know, they probably won't actually be sticking the needle in your scab. Your port should be off the the side of the incision, not right under. Mine is up and to the right. I had the same concern as well, and was relieved when they didn't even touch my incision.

::whew:: That's a relief. Thanks for the info. :-)

~Sonia

So tell me about the stuff you have to drink when you have a fill?? i have a low gag point and don't do well with yucky stuff... (currently things like Protein Drinks and Jello fall onto my yucky stuff list, lol! )

If your doc does it under fluoroscopy, you'll have to drink barium solution. There are different kinds, flavors, etc. The one that I drank smelled like vanilla, and it honestly didn't taste half bad at all it actually matched the smell pretty well. That's not always the case. Plus I only had to take 2 drinks. If you don't have it done under fluoro I think they just require Water.< /p>

I had my first fill today...4cc in a 10cc band. I laid back did an ab crunch and it was over in 3 seconds. Just a quick stick and not bad at all. I had to drink two cups of Water and it was over. No liquids or mushies for me...yea!!! I ate a chicken queasadilla after and had no problems but no real restriction either...which bites. However, it's the no Water before, during, after meals that is killing me...lol. Seriously, it is the worst part for me. Everything else has been a breeze.

Tracy

I go in for my first fill tomorrow!! Im sooo happy to get this going. I have only lost three pounds since my surgery. Sometimes I totally forget I have my band because I have zero restriction and feel like I dont have one at all. I got sick with a kidney infection and my doc gave me gell caps to take and I forgot to take the powder out of the pill one day and it went through without any pain or discomfort. Thats a wide open pouch!

Tracy, I agree with you about the no drinking being the worst part. Sometimes I forget, but most of the time I remember. Its so natural for me to want to have a drink with dinner. I always have to remind DH when he sets the table not to put a glass of Water out for me.

I had my 1st fill this morning. It didnt hurt at all and I didnt get a lidocaine shot or spray first. I drank some Water and then he said Im on Clear Liquids today and full liquids tomorrow and then can eat regular food. I've lost a total of 17 lbs since surgery 7/23/09. :(

I just had mine done today. Wound up having to have it done under Flouro, it was pretty cool getting to see it on screen. I wound up with 6cc's.

Here's to the next month! :-)

Ok so Im home from my first fill. The fill went totally standard. I had one cc put in my five cc band. He put in novecain first, which stung a lot like a bee sting, and then stuck me with the big needle. When I saw that needle I was glad for the novecain. Thats a bigg a$$ needle! He drew the needle back to make sure I didnt have any fill done at surgery. I didnt so he only drew air. Then he put in the one CC. I could feel my band tighten just a little, so I knew he had put something in. He had me drink a glass of Water in his office. Then he sent me out to eat some chicken for lunch. I made sure to eat slow and chew good and it went down with no problems. I really cant feel much of a difference; but I eknew I wouldnt from reading all of your guys posts. I ate about the same as I normally do. I get another one CC fill in three weeks.

it still amazes me with how different each person's surgeon is and the directions they give!

I have my fill this coming thursday...as of right now i'm excited for it. I'm not a needle fan so I will probably be a little nervous that day, but everyone says it doesn't hurt so I'm good..and it's all worth it! Shoot, it's not like we didn't know about the needles before choosing the surgery :thumbup:

I'm scheduled for my first fill "again" on September 1st. I had surgery July 7, 2009 and got a Staff infection. I've been on three rounds of antibiotics. I was suppose to get my first fill on August 7th, but was still infected. I've made the trip to get a fill 3 times total & only ended up on more antibiotics :ohmy:. It's frustrating but I know that with the staff infection waiting is the right thing to do. I seem to be healing much faster on this last round of antibiotics so hopefully the next fill appointment I will actually get a fill. I have no restriction and was doing great for the first month and then it sunk into my brain "hey we have no restriction :drool:" and it's been a battle with head hunger ever since. I have had a few moments of "I'm giving up" syndrome but coming on here and reading blogs and post have helped a lot. I know even though I envisioned moving along faster it still will happen. Thanks everyone for sharing your journey, it really helps others to see they are not alone.:biggrin:

I had my first fill on 8/20 (surgery on 7/22). Since I have to go 400 miles for my fills, I made a mini-vacation out of this first one (to make sure I wasn't overfilled, etc.).

I had no pre-fill anesthetic. My Dr. inserted the needle and injected 3 cc's. He then had me sit up (with the needle in) and had me drink Water. He put in an additional 2 cc's and had me drink. Pulled out more saline, put more in. I'm at 4.3 in my 10 mm band.

He then handed me my instructions for "re-feeding" and that's the first time I saw the instructions for not eating prior to a fill. Oops.

Anyway, I have some restriction now. Have another appointment scheduled for 4 weeks but will evaluate the need in about 10 days. Since my doc isn't just down the street, I need to be sure I need a fill before I go.

I'm scheduled for my first fill "again" on September 1st. I had surgery July 7, 2009 and got a Staff infection. I've been on three rounds of antibiotics. I was suppose to get my first fill on August 7th, but was still infected. I've made the trip to get a fill 3 times total & only ended up on more antibiotics :rolleyes:. It's frustrating but I know that with the staff infection waiting is the right thing to do. I seem to be healing much faster on this last round of antibiotics so hopefully the next fill appointment I will actually get a fill. I have no restriction and was doing great for the first month and then it sunk into my brain "hey we have no restriction :drool:" and it's been a battle with head hunger ever since. I have had a few moments of "I'm giving up" syndrome but coming on here and reading blogs and post have helped a lot. I know even though I envisioned moving along faster it still will happen. Thanks everyone for sharing your journey, it really helps others to see they are not alone.:)

Sorry to hear you got a staph infection. I take care of a lot of patients with staph infections and they are no joke!! Hopefully you'll get your fill next time and will start to drop the weight. Let us know!

ok peeps...i just got my first fill today..and it really wasn't bad! A little uncomfortable but not bad!

And he DID actually go thru my port incision....glad I didn't know THAT until afterwards...

SO anyways, I'm at 5cc's in a 14cc band :thumbup: And on clear liquids for the rest of the day