Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6/12/09 and losing patience!!! Anyone else..

I was banded 6/12/09 by dr. touliatos and I love him to death, but I'm not really seeing a difference. I have lost 25 lbs, including pre op diet and its been two mths today. I don't exercise regularly, but I am active. I am trying not to lose patience. I know that I have to get to my sweet spot but I have had 2 fills and at 4 cc's. I don't think the point of the band is to have it filled completely...i don't guess anyway. Please tell me this gets better....:blink:

Patience is a virtue -- not usually one of mine, lol. I was banded on June 15, 2009 and I have lost 17 lbs from pre-surgery till now. My doctor is very conservative with his "fills". Last week I was just as frustrated as you are. I am a little better now. I keep telling myself that this is a process that takes time. I am at 4.5 cc's in a 10 cc band. Exercising is a problem for me because I have spinal stenosis and have lately been in a lot of pain. This puts me in a kind of "catch 22". If I exercised I would lose more weight, but I can't exercise because I am in too much pain, as a result my weight loss has to come from eating less and I don't have enough restriction!!! Talk about frustration. Now, with my fill last Friday I am feeling some restriction, but before that - nothing, nada.

So, I understand your frustration. But, hang in there. Take a deep breath and know that you can do this!

My doc thought that this fill would be my last but I will be expecting another fill when I see him next week. This is a process and I truly believe that I will hit my sweet spot soon. You will too!

I'm feeling a little frustrated too. I do exercise regularly and I'm so tired of the scale not moving. This morning I get on and I'm up a pound. I kinda thought I would lose faster since I have so much to lose but I'm lucky if I lose 1-2 pounds each week. I know I didn't put the weight on overnight and its gonna take time to get it off but I sure wish it would move along at a faster pace. I know the norm for loss with the band is 1-2 pounds each week but I hear of people who lose it without working as hard as I am at keeping active. Any constructive advice is greatly welcomed.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Have a nice day everyone.

Donna

Losing weight with the band is VERY individual in nature.

Somtimes I think they make a mistake in telling people that they should expect to lose "X" amount per week, because it SO often doesn't happen. And then people get disappointed and their confidence in the "product" is shaken.

Frankly, I don't think ANYONE who has posted in this thread has done all that poorly. You're all under six months in your process, and you've all lost a significant amount of weight, more or less.

It takes time to find the fill "zone" that you need to be in.

Also, you need to consider WHAT you are eating as well as how MUCH. There is a lot of talk amongst "band people" about the concept that they won't have to diet anymore once they have the band.

That is SO wrong.

The diet is a HUGE part of the Band Lifestyle. The band will keep you from eating large quantities of food at one time, but it won't make any decisions for you about the QUALITY of the food you consume. THAT is up to you.

There is a LOT in the "Band education" that they don't do a very good job of. And diet is often one of those things.

If you are not losing weight at the rate you want, then look very closely at WHAT you are eating.

HH

Losing weight with the band is VERY individual in nature.

Somtimes I think they make a mistake in telling people that they should expect to lose "X" amount per week, because it SO often doesn't happen. And then people get disappointed and their confidence in the "product" is shaken.

Frankly, I don't think ANYONE who has posted in this thread has done all that poorly. You're all under six months in your process, and you've all lost a significant amount of weight, more or less.

It takes time to find the fill "zone" that you need to be in.

Also, you need to consider WHAT you are eating as well as how MUCH. There is a lot of talk amongst "band people" about the concept that they won't have to diet anymore once they have the band.

That is SO wrong.

The diet is a HUGE part of the Band Lifestyle. The band will keep you from eating large quantities of food at one time, but it won't make any decisions for you about the QUALITY of the food you consume. THAT is up to you.

There is a LOT in the "Band education" that they don't do a very good job of. And diet is often one of those things.

If you are not losing weight at the rate you want, then look very closely at WHAT you are eating.

HH

Thanks for the advise. I will most certainly be looking into this further.

Donna

I agree with HH. A lot of people on LBT talk about not losing weight before the right restriction (or even after perhaps) and its fine if you understand that you probably won't lose weight if you're still eating fried fish sandwiches and chocolate everyday (because you can, because there is not restriction). But you can't wonder why the weight isn't dropping if your diet is the same as it was before the band (even if the portions are somewhat smaller). It has helped me to keep an honest food diary so I can be accountable for what I am putting in me. Good luck!

Donna;

One thing I HIGHLY recommend that people look into is the concept of "ph balance" in the body. It is a very, very interesting concept that really opened my eyes when I learned about it.

You can find out more about it by googling "ph balance" or "Alkaline diet".

One very, very good book on the subject is called "The PH Miracle" By Dr. Robert O. Young. He's not a Medical Dr, but a Microbiologist, and he looks at the body in a totally different way than regular MDs.

I would suggest that you go to Aamazon.com, look up his books, and read some of the reviews.....and google him. It's very interesting stuff, and it's been life-changing for a LOT of people.

It's a different way of eating, and for many people it has been "the answer". It could very well jump-start your efforts with the Band to a totally different level.

HH

I agree with HH. A lot of people on LBT talk about not losing weight before the right restriction (or even after perhaps) and its fine if you understand that you probably won't lose weight if you're still eating fried fish sandwiches and chocolate everyday (because you can, because there is not restriction). But you can't wonder why the weight isn't dropping if your diet is the same as it was before the band (even if the portions are somewhat smaller). It has helped me to keep an honest food diary so I can be accountable for what I am putting in me. Good luck!

I appreciate your suggestion but I am very careful to eat low fat, low carb foods and always eat my Protein first. The last few times I have dieted I have really struggled to lose weight. I am perimenopausal which I'm sure doesn't help the situation. I believe I am at my sweet spot. I have 2.28cc in a 10cc Inamed band that will only fill to 4cc.

With this said, do you have anymore suggestions? I really do appreciate any and all help.

Donna;

One thing I HIGHLY recommend that people look into is the concept of "ph balance" in the body. It is a very, very interesting concept that really opened my eyes when I learned about it.

You can find out more about it by googling "ph balance" or "Alkaline diet".

One very, very good book on the subject is called "The PH Miracle" By Dr. Robert O. Young. He's not a Medical Dr, but a Microbiologist, and he looks at the body in a totally different way than regular MDs.

I would suggest that you go to Aamazon.com, look up his books, and read some of the reviews.....and google him. It's very interesting stuff, and it's been life-changing for a LOT of people.

It's a different way of eating, and for many people it has been "the answer". It could very well jump-start your efforts with the Band to a totally different level.

HH

Thank you HH, I appreciate your kindness in helping me more then you could imagine.

Donna

I personally have lost 34 pounds since I started my pre-op diet on July 7, 2009. I am continuing to lose, but not ignoring any hunger thoughts I have. I used to normally go overboard at night, so now I may have one or two sugar free popsicles and I have successfully stayed away from old favorites like chocolate, coke, and popcorn.

I really am grateful for my bandtool because otherwise it would be some miracle.

I'm sorry that so many people, like yourself, feel they are having a bad time, or they don't see the scale moving. You are losing weight though, so keep working toward your goals. Remember those breads and sweets you're offered at work and parties will be there again next year.

I hope you get to your sweet spot soon and your smile gets bigger.:)

Hi guys-

Water, Water, Water....make sure you are drinking your water... also Protein first... then veggies and then carbs (good carbs)...personally I am staying away from carbs except once per week. It is a lot of mind over matter. Plus I am walking 1.5 to 2 miles per day every day. This is a tool- I have issues with my back but walking doesn't seem to bother it too much... anyway- I hope I helped a little...I am down 28lbs since July 6th (day I started pre-op) and I have no fill yet. I just tell myself that I need to do this and get it done!!

Good Luck to you all!

Well hello all,the name is Lou I'm new to all this computer forum stuff, so let me try to get used to it.

Well I was Banded 7/20/09 just over 3 weeks.

First week was amazing though I did not miss the pains and knowing I could not eat any thing just drinks for 2 weeks, but amazing weight before was 264lb after a week I was down to 242lb, 22lbs I was shock. after week 2, another 5lbs down to 237lb, and after week 3 another 4lbs, now down 233lbs. No fills yet. The reason I think I'm losing weight is cause I don't like much of the foods which I should be eating so I stick to Ice Water then chewing on ice, I try a lot of stuff but never finished due to taste blah blah

I know this isn't healthy, losing is good but not eating much isn't either

Hello Lou,

You are doing well with your weight loss. My only concern is that you may not be getting proper nutrition. Do you experience dizzy spells?

Hi guys-

Water, Water, Water....make sure you are drinking your water... also Protein first... then veggies and then carbs (good carbs)...personally I am staying away from carbs except once per week. It is a lot of mind over matter. Plus I am walking 1.5 to 2 miles per day every day. This is a tool- I have issues with my back but walking doesn't seem to bother it too much... anyway- I hope I helped a little...I am down 28lbs since July 6th (day I started pre-op) and I have no fill yet. I just tell myself that I need to do this and get it done!!

Good Luck to you all!

I do that too. At least a bottle and a half of water before I'm out the door in the morning. I think it helps me loads. I try to eat.

What kind of issues do you have with your back? Iwas walking every day for two months before getting surgery and my back pain grew steadily worse. Turns out it is related to a pinched nerve (and weight, of course) and from the impact my steps send into my back. I have been prescribed to do the Sit & Be Fit exercises on PBS for it.

I exercise daily. I work out at the gym every morning before work Monday thru Thursday and I ride bikes with my husband at least 3 time per week anywhere from 10-30 miles each time (as time allows). I'm doing really well at climbing hills these days and I really push myself hard.