Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved for Solids at 1 week post op

I saw my doctor today for my 1 week post op visit and he was entirely okay with my beginning to try solid foods. He was clear that I needed to be smart about it and only try a small amount of things to see how I tolerated it and to chew well. Other than that he gave me the thumbs up to start trying it out. My band is still open and I don't get my first fill until 8/31, so he cautioned me about that, in terms of gaining weight during this time. There is so much talk about not eating anything other than liquids these first couple of weeks and all the dangers of not following that advice, I was just curious if there is anyone else out there who was given this go ahead by their doctor? I'm a low BMI, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for any info!:wink2:

Wow lucky you! I was on liquids for 2+ weeks, then mushies for 3 weeks. I am 6 weeks post op and just started solids this week!

Just be careful, you don't want your stomach having to work itself to hard breaking food down.

Every doc has a different routine and preference when it comes to the post-op diet.

Many had to do liquids for 2 weeks, while I only had to do it for 24 hours and then had to be on pureed food for 1.5 weeks. After that, I did soft foods for 2 weeks which including almost anything except things like red meat, raw veggies, etc, and then I was able to eat a regular diet.

Like your doctor said, I would start off slow and begin with easier digested foods so your stomach doesn't work too hard.

Good luck!

My doctor OK'd soft Proteins like fish, eggs, etc. after my one week follow-up. He said if that went well for about a week, I could move on (carefully) to regular foods. I had no problems with any of it, so began eating mostly regular foods after about two weeks.

I am so glad to read these entries. My doctor approved soft foods- yogurt right away then after he checked me 10 days post op i was on thicker foods and approved to move to fish and move on to whatever i could tolerate. I have been following a very clean eating plan- smoothie made with Protein Powder and fruit for bkfst, yogurt for snack, some hummus and vegetables on ryvita crisp bread for lunch another snack, maybe hand ful of nuts, then fish and steamed veggies or quinoa or tofu for supper. sometimes a little Protein Shake before bed. i have also made hamburger patties (very moist) and we had that one night. I can pretty much eat everything and i was banded on July 22nd. I am anxious for a fill b/c i dont feel full. I try to limit myself to 4 oz- 6oz per meal, but i am still hungry. I am self pay so i feel ike i just paid 20K to diet!!! But i do know that with the fill i will be feeling more restriction. After reading about strict diets of liquids and mushies for a month, i was a bit scared that i had moved to fast but my doctor seems to think its just fine.

After reading posts for a couple of months and noting how different everyone pre/post op and fill instructions are, I have come to the conclusion that it in many cases, it might not be a particular surgeon's general instructions vary, but that these instructions vary based on the needs of his/her patient. This would make more sense. I have seen bandsters who had the same surgeon as me post here that they have been given different instructions than I received. After all, when it comes to something as import as this surgery, there's a certain comfort to knowing its not just cookie-cutter.

Yes, I went to my 1 week post op appt yesterday and they told me to boost my Protein to 4 shakes a day, increase my Water to 64 oz and start eating soft food. I had scrambled eggs for Breakfast, I was in heaven! I couldn't imagine being on liquid for more than 1 week, I think I would have caved a little. I agree, I think it is mainly on your progress. I have been fine the last week except for gas which I took care of with gas-x. My emotions are the hardest part, I want to eat when everyone else in the family is. Oh well, I will get over it. I lost 10 lbs this first week I am so excited. I also told my doc what I was eating which included mostly cream Soup and they said that is what was making me so tired, not enough protein. Good luck to you.

I am so glad to get this feedback! I really trust my doctor and so far the instructions I was given have fit me perfectly, but it's nice to hear that others have progressed to soft/regular foods sooner than two/three weeks post op. Thanks to all who responded (or who might in the future! :lol:)