Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking after surgery

Wow! This post is so similar to a post I made today but I feel like these answers are much better than the ones I was getting. My health is important to me, but I've been holding off on the surgery due to the fact that I feel like I will only be young once and I'm being selfish and don't want to give up my partying. I've been talking to many people in their 40s and 50s who are all looking at my like I'm stupid for wanting to still have fun. My 21st birthday is in 2 months and I'd love to be able to drink. I know this sounds stupid but alcohol is such a big part of my life. My friends enjoy it, I dont want to be the one who's always left out or making my problem affect everyone else. I don't know what 21 year old doesn't have a social life that includes partying. I have other things in my life that I enjoy, but on weekends this is how my friends and I have fun and socialize and if im being 100% honest with myself, I'm not ready to give that part up. I'd still love to drink once a week, I read above that many people still do. I understand that it's a lot of empty calories but I am almost positive that the amount of calories I will be taking in with the lap band combined with exercise, I would have no problem losing weight. Anyone who has gone through the same thing, or thinking about going through the same thing, please message me or add me! I'm very concerned and need to do something about my weight & understand that takes lots of commitment and changes. At the same time I'd love to still have a somewhat decent 21 year old social life. I'd like to hear if that is something someones been successful at doing with the lap band. This has been one of the only things holding me back and if I saw this post a while back and realized I could still have a social drinking life with the band, maybe I would have started this process a lot longer ago.

I had my first drink 1 month post op and I was buzzed off of a glass of wine. Definitely be careful of carbonation, but shots and wine are great! Even the fruity girly drinks. Yes, you do want to be careful of caloric intake, but every so often I feel like its ok to have a margarita or piña colada!

I'm 21 and also really concerned about drinking. I'm having surgery on August 2nd and am supposed to go to Vegas August 10th. I don't think I'm going to be able to drink, which is fine so soon after being banded, but afterwards I'd like to be able to do my usual bar hopping and lots of drinks! If I steer clear of carbonated drinks will that be fine?! I'm not ready to give up my social life, but I guess if I have to go out being the sober one I could...as long as I'm losing weight! That's what's most important to me!

I'm 23 and haven't had any alcohol in about 4 months (my surgery was almost 3 months ago). I was never a big drinker to begin with, but I did recently ask my doctor about it at my last fill appointment. She suggests no alcohol for the first year post op, but that one drink on special occasions is fine. Keep in mind alcohol does effect most of us more/quicker once we have the band, and it is empty calories. Like everything else, it's okay in moderation as long as we plan for it.

I celebrated national tequila day in true form. I never had an issues with alcohol. I just watch for carbonation and I know that it is going to affect me more.

You guys sound ridiculous. Alcohol is one of the biggest set backs for any diet plan, especially for people who have had weight loss surgery. We all had surgery to lose weight, the last resort option, and with that comes sacrifice!!! If you want to continue to lose weight properly with no set backs, lay off the booze! I'm 22 years old and have made so many sacrifices for this surgery to be successful. It really comes down to what is most important to you.

They recommend no alcohol for at least the first 6 months, but ideally the first year because this is when you lose the majority of the weight that you need to. In order to be healthy weight, you need to give up somethings. Sure a couple glasses of wine, sporadically and socially, is okay. But to go out bar hopping and get shitfaced every other weekend is highly unnecessary. You can still have a good time without consuming alcohol!!!! It may seem hard, but its not.

It's almost as if I would pose the question " would it be okay to have McDonald's once a week?" ...sure I could but it would take me THAT much longer to achieve the results I want.

Take another look into why you got this surgery in the first place...its not a cure-all-be-all, you have to put this tool to work, and lots of work!

And no carbonation EVER in your life with the band is what I've been told by my doctor...can cause the pouch to expand and can cause band slippage and/or erosion.

No carbonation = no beer, people.

Hope this helps.

-Melissa M.

I think your response is very one sided. People don't just drink to " go out every other weekend bar hopping and getting shitfaced". Everyone's Dr's instructions are different. I was up front with Dr saying I didn't plan on giving up drinking and he said he saw now reason to give it up but wait a month to heal. You can be very successful and enjoying going out and drinking. It's something I enjoy and why should I have to give up somethin I enjoy. To me the band isn't about depriving yourself of everything you enjoy. It's about Portion Control and making better choices. Everyone seems to be aware that alcohol has empty calories but you can factor it into your diet.

I do respect your opinion though. I would like to add there are a lot of successful people on this forum who drink alcohol. Just because you consume alcohol doesn't mean you get "shitfaced". I enjoying the relaxing and fun feeling. You should look up other alcohol topics and read the debate.

I agree with Sam. I have wine every evening, now I do factor the calories into my diet - they are liquid calories and that can hurt you. But for me I include them in my food plan. I have lost 57 pounds having my wine at night.....

Yeah I can appreciate that it's an important part of your life, but for this first year i'm not going to be drinking at all. Yeah that's great that you include your wine into your diet, but me personally I feel that it wouldn't be worth it. I love wine. Like, really love wine, but I am going to sacrifice it for now to get the best weight loss possible this year. Alcohol will be on my "No" list until July 25th, 2013. I can have just as much fun without alcohol, went out with my girlfriends last night and had a blast as I was there DD. I guess it just depends on what's more important to you.

I guess we all just have to take a look at our personal situation and decide what will work for us individually. An occasional drink or two will not wreck everything if you are sensible and don't overdo it. As a veteran bandster, I can tell you I allowed alcohol sensibly and it did not hinder my weight loss. I lost most of my weight within 9 months, lost 100% of my excess weight in the first year and I have kept if off and lost a little more in the four years since I was banded without denying myself much of anything including a drink when I wanted one. I respect the choice of those who choose to keep diaries and scrutinize everything, if it works for you and you are happy with that, then that is wonderful. I didn't do all of that and my way worked for me. Just be respectful of those of us who choose our own way, none of us have all of the answers, share your experiences then let everyone take their own paths on this journey.