Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Lap band surgery 10 days ago with no weight loss!

Hi there lap banders,

I've just joined the forum today and really need some help and advice! I was banded 9 days ago in Belgium and after 5-6 days of feeling full after tiny amounts of food and having loose bowel movements with severe dizziness, I suddenly feel really hungry all the time. I can now manage a full plate of Soup with 5 small crackers all at once and even managed a Belgian chocolate with some prawn salad (very well chewed) the other day. I'm only supposed to be on liquids for the first 10 days after surgery and feel upset that I cheated and managed to eat salad and chocolate. I am crying all the time and feel very depressed right now! What is really worrying me is the fact that I haven't lost any weight on the scales, despite having no more than 500-700 calories a day. My hands and fingers also feel numb but I don't know if this is poor circulation or the after affects of surgery:sad:. I just feel really diappointed that I'm still feeling hungry and haven't lost any weight but maybe I'm still not eating enough and my body is holding on to the fat because it's in starvation mode? I've realised that most of my eating is emotional and the band is preventing me from overeating but I feel a bit lost right now as I can't use my old coping strategies anymore, i.e food!! I'd love to hear from people out there that have went through similar experiences. Did you stay strictly on liquids for the first 10 days or have any lapses? Did you feel depressed? Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this and replies!

Bless your heart...you sound like you need a HUG!!! So here is a BIG HUG from me. I was on Clear Liquids and I had my weak moments i must admit. But it best that you do as your DR suggest. Its tough and I am only a month out. I got a fill on Tuesday so I am back on liquids thru Saturday so I feel your pain. Know that you have support on this forum and you will be able to hear the experiences ones a lot further along in the process.

BTW...I have learned that until you begin your fills...this is a time of healing not losing. Give your body time to recover...You did have surgery! Hang in there!

You should be losing. I thought that I was going to gain after going off liquids and when I did gain a pound I mentioned it to the nurse practitioner. She said I was probably getting too many carbs and needed to cut back on the creamy Soups.

I had dizziness before I had surgery so a little now wouldn't bother me, however, you should be contacting your surgeon's office right away because I don't think you are doing well at all.

Before you beat yourself up anymore, get yourself into see the doctor or nurse. Don't be afraid to pester them with questions. This is your life, right?

Good luck.:sneaky:

Hi there lap banders,

I've just joined the forum today and really need some help and advice! I was banded 9 days ago in Belgium and after 5-6 days of feeling full after tiny amounts of food and having loose bowel movements with severe dizziness, I suddenly feel really hungry all the time. I can now manage a full plate of Soup with 5 small crackers all at once and even managed a Belgian chocolate with some prawn salad (very well chewed) the other day. I'm only supposed to be on liquids for the first 10 days after surgery and feel upset that I cheated and managed to eat salad and chocolate. I am crying all the time and feel very depressed right now! What is really worrying me is the fact that I haven't lost any weight on the scales, despite having no more than 500-700 calories a day. My hands and fingers also feel numb but I don't know if this is poor circulation or the after affects of surgery:sad:. I just feel really diappointed that I'm still feeling hungry and haven't lost any weight but maybe I'm still not eating enough and my body is holding on to the fat because it's in starvation mode? I've realised that most of my eating is emotional and the band is preventing me from overeating but I feel a bit lost right now as I can't use my old coping strategies anymore, i.e food!! I'd love to hear from people out there that have went through similar experiences. Did you stay strictly on liquids for the first 10 days or have any lapses? Did you feel depressed? Thanks in advance to anyone that reads this and replies!

First... It is all normal! Secondly, you need to stop beating yourself up. You just had surgery... you just made a huge difference to an internal organ... you need time to heal. While it is hard, this is what you have got to start focusing on. Early I saw a post about things we wish we may have been told... Well... I just wish I would have realized to take the time to care for myself!

You may loose weight, you may stay the same... you may gain a little. But it is normal, and that is why you will not be getting a feel so quickly after surgery, your body needs time to heal... and your new stoma (the new stomach openening) is so small and inflammed and needs time to get accustomed to how it is. Be careful with eating what you should not though (while no beating yourself up though because we all have those days), because you can irritate it even more and set yourself back before you even get moving!

By the way... you are now entering bandster hell and I am sorry to say but you have some time to go. And it is just a time where you are really hungry and crave for the feeling of satiety, which is why you got the band... but you have to heal first. It will take time, it will suck... but it will be worth it and you will be on the ball before you know it!

Give your new band and your newself some time to get acquainted with each other! This is a long term commitment!

On another note... have you tried upping your Protein intake... that would help stave off some of the hunger, want chocolate... make a nice chocolate Protein shake... or fudge pudding, or even better a fudge pudding pop (sugar free ofcourse), your prawn salad... put it in a blender since it is going to take you some time to get the real feel of the bandster chew.

Wishing you the best!

~Real

It is very important that you stick to your post op diet and give your stomach time to recover from surgery. If you eat solid food too soon you may cause your band to slip. We have all been in the same position as you and we understand. Your brain is withdrawing from sugar which will affect your emotional state. Focus on Protein. If you are allowed Protein shakes then drink them. Make sure you get your 64 oz of Water in each day too. This feeling you are experiencing is only temporary. You will feel better once you get a fill and have some restriction. Don't worry about losing weight until you are recovered from surgery. the first 4 weeks is about healing not losing and yes, your body probably does think it is starving and is holding onto fat. Don't worry about this yet. Just follow your doctor's orders and the weight loss will happen.

Hang in there!

Donna

It's 9 days for me. I lost about 5lbs within a couple days after the surgery (most likely Water weight), but for the past 6 days, I haven't lost a pound. I'm beginning to think my scale is obsessed with the number "241".

I understand that I'm healing, which is what I keep telling others when they ask how I'm doing, how much I've lost, etc... Ugh, why did I tell people?

I'm being patient, though. I'm doing what I'm supposed to doing and I know I'll lose eventually. I'm probably not even getting enough calories in.

I've been on mushy foods since Tuesday and I start soft solids this coming Tuesday. I haven't eaten anything that wasn't on my list of foods. And, luckily, I'm not hungry.

Cool your Jets, 9-10 days is too soon. Some of you may have meds or other conditions that will hide the weight loss (i.e. Fluid retention) The surgery is not magic; surgery does not suddenly cause weight loss. Some do not lose right after surgery. Remember, the band is only a tool. You have to use the tool. Do up your Protein in liquids. And follow your doctor's diet! find things to keep you out of the kitchen!!!

Hi fellow bandsters,

Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who replied to my thread. Your advice was invaluable to me and gave me a much needed rational perspective on things. I've been much clamer over the past few days but I tried orange juice last night and my stomach has been sore and swollen all day. Has anyone had similar experiences with orange juice? I haven't had much hunger over the past few days either. I'm learning that this is a long journey and every day is different, but that's okay. I'm also realising how much I let family members dictate my mood and now that I can no longer sublimate my rage with food, I have so much anger!!!:thumbup: Think I'll have to take up karate or some other contact sport. It's scary to feel so much emotion but the band is showing me how much I depended on food to deal with my emotions!! It is a really profound journey we are all on and I'm so glad I found this forum as we all need to lean on each other sometimes. Once again, thankyou xxx

skinnyminny, Welcome to the club. any activity, even walking, will help work off the anger. Whatever you choose, do it instead of heading to the kitchen!!Good Luck!!

It's 9 days for me. I lost about 5lbs within a couple days after the surgery (most likely Water weight), but for the past 6 days, I haven't lost a pound.

Holli, I am in the exact same boat. I was banded July 29, lost 7 pounds the first three days and nothing since.

That's why these forums are great. It's reassuring to know others are experiencing the exact same thing so it helps keep me positive instead of getting depressed at the fact I am not eating anything yet not losing any weight.

Holli, I am in the exact same boat. I was banded July 29, lost 7 pounds the first three days and nothing since.

That's why these forums are great. It's reassuring to know others are experiencing the exact same thing so it helps keep me positive instead of getting depressed at the fact I am not eating anything yet not losing any weight.

Have you contacted your surgeon's office to ask if it is expected for you?

Hi Maudi,

I was just at my drs on Thursday, and he said all was good. So I guess this is the way it will be.

I also had the issue when I was on the two week preopt. I lost 8 pounds in 6 days and then nothing for the next 6 and then 4 in the next two.

Apparently my body randomly decides to retain Water.

Finally lost 2lbs, lol.

Finally lost 2lbs, lol.

Congratulations!!!