Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September 2009 Band Date

Let me know what Protien shakes any of you find that are good. Do any of you feel as if your taste has changed after surg?

Yes, I liked the SF carnation Instant Breakfast and low carb Slimfast. My taste has definetely changed but don't know if its because of the lack of appetite or what. Take care.

Hi Ashley,I'm also getting banded on Sept.9th.I started my pre-op liquid diet on the 2nd.The first 2 days were hard,had a very bad headache.I still have them but not as bad,and the hunger is going away lol.The good thing is I lost 8 lbs in 2 days WOOHOO!!!.I wish you luck.Maria:smile2:

good morning, to everyone having surgery today, good luck. and to those of us already banded, YEA!!!! you know when your skinny friends used to say " i havent eaten all day, i dont even think about food". or " i forgot to eat today". Believe it or not, that is how I feel now. Not sure if it is just a mind thing or what, but I feel like I have to force myself to drink. Colorado or Soco, do you feel that way? I have no appetite at all. I dont feel sick, just no appetite. I always wondered what that felt like to not think about food almost constantly. :sad:

Totally feel like this!!!! It is awesome! I had the slightest feeling of hunger about noon, had a little super thin oatmeal (I am on pureed liquids), and that was it for the afternoon. Small Protein Shake for breakfast (150 cals) and oatmeal for lunch (about 200 cals?) and I am good till dinner. I know it won't last, but for now it is SO COOL!!!!

I even bought some awesome looking cinnamon rolls for my family at the store today without drooling or ripping open the package the minute I got home. It was like, yeah, okay, cinnamon rolls, so what? Imagine that. :sneaky:

Hello All,

I am from Rockville, MD and will be banded on September 14th. My doctor puts his patient's on a 2 week all liquid, low carb diet prior to surgery. This is day 5 of my journey. I have 3-4 Protein Shakes a day, clear broth, & sugar-free Jello. It has been surprisingly easy. After I got through day 2 and the headaches ( I was a total carb addict), I felt fine with no hunger. I am so excited! I wish everyone the best of luck.

Remember this...Nothing tastes as good as being at a healthy weight feels!! :sneaky:

I got my band on the 1st...3 days out and I have felt pretty miserable. I stayed the first night in the hospital and I am so glad I did! If you are on the fence about it, definitely stay for pain control!

The night I got home my belly blew the hell up with gas(expected some but wow), I looked every bit of 9 months pregnant, it was painful to just look at! The pressure put a lot of tension on my incisions, especially my port site and that is where my pain remains today.

I have had very little hunger because of all of the gas, that could be good or bad- not sure~

I am amazed by so many of the stories saying they were up and about and back to work in a few days, I certainly won't be moving in that directions for several more days!

I hope in a couple more days that I will start to feel "normal". How are my other Sept 1 Bandsters feeling?

Kim

I got my band on the 1st...3 days out and I have felt pretty miserable. I stayed the first night in the hospital and I am so glad I did! If you are on the fence about it, definitely stay for pain control!

The night I got home my belly blew the hell up with gas(expected some but wow), I looked every bit of 9 months pregnant, it was painful to just look at! The pressure put a lot of tension on my incisions, especially my port site and that is where my pain remains today.

I have had very little hunger because of all of the gas, that could be good or bad- not sure~

I am amazed by so many of the stories saying they were up and about and back to work in a few days, I certainly won't be moving in that directions for several more days!

I hope in a couple more days that I will start to feel "normal". How are my other Sept 1 Bandsters feeling?

Kim

I'm feeling better today although I still have gas but not quite as much. Haven't had to take any pain meds today either. Was hungry today for the first time since surgery, but had about half of Atkins shake and hunger was better. Well I hope you feel better.:sneaky:

Hello All,

I am from Rockville, MD and will be banded on September 14th. My doctor puts his patient's on a 2 week all liquid, low carb diet prior to surgery. This is day 5 of my journey. I have 3-4 Protein shakes a day, clear broth, & sugar-free Jello. It has been surprisingly easy. After I got through day 2 and the headaches ( I was a total carb addict), I felt fine with no hunger. I am so excited! I wish everyone the best of luck.

Remember this...Nothing tastes as good as being at a healthy weight feels!! :sneaky:

Sounds like you are are doing well on your diet, good for you!

So far (well, only 3 days from surgery) I am so happy I did this. Good luck to you too.

I wanted to report that I am down 11 pounds in 5 days - 8 lbs on my clear liquid pre-op diet and 3 lbs since surgery 3 days ago. Totally excited!

Also - brand new and soon to be bandsters - before I forget, I have a few tips for you.

First, I just broke out my heating pad last night and it is awesome! Feels SO good on my tummy and helps with the gas pains. I think it would be good for the back, too, if you get your pains there. Good investment for the newly banded!

Second, in my search to find some smaller bowls and utensils, I learned that Crate and Barrel has the most adorable little bowls for our new tiny portions. Go to Crate and Barrel and search for "mini latte bowl." They are .95 cents each, and the perfect size for a serving of pudding or yogurt or whatever. 3.5" diameter - small! Bonus - kids love them, and perfect size for a small scoop of ice cream.

Along those same lines, CB2 has cute little forks and spoons for encouraging those small bites we need to take. They are called "mini stainless steel cocktail spoons" and are $5.95 for a set of 6. About the same size as a baby spoon or fork, but way cooler.

Totally different subject - you have heard it said before, but for me it is true - the Gas -X strips really help. Don't leave home without 'em.

Finally, a food tip for when you get to the liquid puree or mushy stage. Low-fat ricotta with Tomato or pizza sauce on top, heated up in the microwave, is delish. I had this for dinner tonight.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone!:sneaky:

Hi Amanda... I was banded on 9/2. I am doing OK. Gas pains are the WORSE!! Also I have some tenderness near one f my incisions. Other than that I'm so excited about beginning to see my transformation. We must keep in touch!!

I wanted to report that I am down 11 pounds in 5 days - 8 lbs on my clear liquid pre-op diet and 3 lbs since surgery 3 days ago. Totally excited!

Also - brand new and soon to be bandsters - before I forget, I have a few tips for you.

First, I just broke out my heating pad last night and it is awesome! Feels SO good on my tummy and helps with the gas pains. I think it would be good for the back, too, if you get your pains there. Good investment for the newly banded!

Second, in my search to find some smaller bowls and utensils, I learned that Crate and Barrel has the most adorable little bowls for our new tiny portions. Go to Crate and Barrel and search for "mini latte bowl." They are .95 cents each, and the perfect size for a serving of pudding or yogurt or whatever. 3.5" diameter - small! Bonus - kids love them, and perfect size for a small scoop of ice cream.

Along those same lines, CB2 has cute little forks and spoons for encouraging those small bites we need to take. They are called "mini stainless steel cocktail spoons" and are $5.95 for a set of 6. About the same size as a baby spoon or fork, but way cooler.

Totally different subject - you have heard it said before, but for me it is true - the Gas -X strips really help. Don't leave home without 'em.

Finally, a food tip for when you get to the liquid puree or mushy stage. Low-fat ricotta with Tomato or pizza sauce on top, heated up in the microwave, is delish. I had this for dinner tonight.

Hope this helps, good luck everyone!:sneaky:

Hi Coloradomom...I was banded on the 2nd. I have been using my heating pad was afraid to put it on my stomach just using it on my back. Does it really work? Also, are you having any pain around any of your incisions? Hope you are doing fine. We must keep in touch.

Hi Amanda... I was banded on 9/2. I am doing OK. Gas pains are the WORSE!! Also I have some tenderness near one f my incisions. Other than that I'm so excited about beginning to see my transformation. We must keep in touch!!

Absolutely!:sneaky:

good morning, to everyone having surgery today, good luck. and to those of us already banded, YEA!!!! you know when your skinny friends used to say " i havent eaten all day, i dont even think about food". or " i forgot to eat today". Believe it or not, that is how I feel now. Not sure if it is just a mind thing or what, but I feel like I have to force myself to drink. Colorado or Soco, do you feel that way? I have no appetite at all. I dont feel sick, just no appetite. I always wondered what that felt like to not think about food almost constantly. :sneaky:

I'm not feeling much of an appetite either. Although, I am concern about getting my Vitamins and Protein in. So pretty much I force myself to finish my Protein drinks and Vitamins.< /span>

I was still doing all Clear liquids. However, today I had a phone consultation with my doctors nurse and she said I was suppose to be on an "All liquid" diet. Okay, so I tried to eat some low carb yogurt. Two teaspoons and I felt so full, like I had pigged out at a buffet. Maybe I'll stick to broth for a bit..

Hello Ivy, I was banded on the 1st and you're right. The gas pain is the worst.. Walking helps tremendously. My nurse said that some patients get the gas pain on the back!.. I'm glad mine was in the shoulder and stomach.

I think the port incision is probably a little more sore. At least it is for me.. :sneaky:

I did some follow up to the pre-op tests to check on a nodule that was found on a lung. When I got back home, I had a message that my lung is fine, and surgery is still on! I didn't think I would know the results until Monday. That's really nice patient care!

I've never had one of the scans where they put an IV in to add some dye to check things. The test was just a few minutes.

I appreciate all of you that are post surgery keeping in touch. I hope everyone keeps posting whether the news is good or bad.

I'm down 25 lbs since July 10th, still need to follow a one week liquid Meal Replacement plan with a few vegetables okay to add.

Anita

Hello Septembers, I was banded 9/3 with the Realize band and got back home today. The gas pressure made the incisions hurt, but walking really did the trick. By tonight, I have almost no gas pain at all. It appears I am in the minority, but the liquid Hydrocodone tastes pretty good to me. However, all the sugar-free products turn my stomach. I'm not hungry and dread the next 5 days of Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks my doctor requires. Any suggestions on the Protein would be appreciated. Hope everyone has a restful weekend.