Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I like to post here occassionally because I am truly and probably the slowest loser on this board. I have been on the brink of despair, considered band removal, been dieting on diet pills, and done everything to try to lose weight.

Since my last fill (which was suppossed to be my very first fill level) i have achieved some weight loss. I think this is pretty good restriction for me because it is the first time I truly feel 'full' (you know the full I am talking about - just satisfied) with a small amount of food. And earlier trying to lose weight on a variety of caloric counts from 800-1500 never worked. Now I find if I eat under 600 calories a day I can lose a few pounds. I don't have much energy but if the scale is finally moving I am ok. I usually eat a V8 juice for Breakfast and a Protein Shake or yogurt mixed with a little cottage cheese or Soup for lunch and i have about 1/2 cup of food for dinner. I'm finding it is harder to stop because i still feel a bit hungry - heck i don't think 600 calories is much but if i even eat on bite too many i barf it up. whereas before on previous fills i always had to make mysefl stop way before feeling that fullness -

I wanted to give up so bad many times but i've now spent almost 20,000 on this band and what else can I do/try - i want it to work.

My doc had told me i would be able to eat everything in smaller amounts and the weight would come off quickly but that has never worked for me. I never wanted to eat 600 calories a day but if the band helps me to do that and it WORKS i will live with it.

Though I've had my thyroid tested (in normal range) when I have insurance again (later this year) i will explore if there are other reasons i can't lose.

My goal is to lose 65lbs and I'm at around a 14-16lbs loss after almost TWO YEARS.

I don't think there is anyone else here with that track record. And YES I did follow the rules - until this last fill I exercised pretty strenuously at least 4 days a week.

Hi All,

It has been a while since my post.

yes the day has arrived!!!!. Happy day to all of you and me banded on April 20, 2006!!!!!:clap2:

For the newbies and the ones that know me here is a short detail of my 1 year experience.

I am not going to go thru the TJ experience, but want to say that I arrived a month earlier from my surgery day, to check Kuri out, hehe. At that time I was 220, withing 4 weeks and right before my surgery I weighed 225.:omg:

A year later today I am at 197, not very fast, in fact very slow compare to others but is not a COMPETITION, I learn that the hard way, take what you need from the board but DO NOT dwell in comparing your weight, age, day of surgery with others because you will be miserable, like I was before....

I have to say, that I was a PROFESSIONAL YOYO, I said that before because nobody could lose 40/50 pounds in summer and put it back plus in winter, yep that was me, tried NutraSystem ( lost 70 pounds) tried WW, Jenny Craig ( 60), Lindora (50), etc etc all losing and putting it back.

Finally I put a stop to this with the band and after waiting for a long time ( too long) to get my first fill, I was able to maintain my weigh for the first time in my life 6 months straight.

Then with my real second fill in November ( cause the second one did not count) , I struggled to figure the PB, what can I eat, high carb foods, etc etc.

Today, I had learn a lot and learn that I have to change my way of life and eating, is not a COMPETITION, it is my life. I will get there in Gods timing.

But meanwhile I discovered:

1- stress is a big part in my life that can trick my band and my body.

2- that first bite has to be small otherwise.....

3- that first bite has to be chew well and I have to think I have food in my mouth and not eating meanwhile typing on the computer, watching TV, talking, etc, so easy to do it and forget to chew chew. Once I pass the first one the other ones come better.:hungry:

4- I have to realize that I am not in my 30 th where I was able to knock off 30 to 40 pounds in a couple of moths. I have now some other hormonal issues, that I do not want to think but are there.

5- I am faithful to an exercise routine.

6- still drinking about 1 gallon of Water a day.

7- Support boards and meetings are very important!.

With all that and even at 197, I am fitting in my size 12 stretch jeans, guess the weights and cardio are working in my inches...

My skin looks real good, stomach shrinking, and doing real good health wise.

I am not regretting the band, because I am learning to work with it, otherwise left at my will power...it can go so far and then is gone.

Blessings to all,

Lidia-Dr.Kuri

4/20/06

225/197/150

2.4 cc ( 3rd fill)

nc3=3

__,_._,___

mary beth

PLEASE WRITE MORE about your experience. There are only I think three or four of us in the same boat - or at least 3 or 4 that write. i need to know i am not alone and more importantly what everyone's story is....

I sometimes feel almost suicidal because I never ever thought this would be be - why doesn't it work for some???????

I'd like to help but don't have much to offer as I do everything my doc said to do for the band to work

Eat three bandster meals a day, exercise, eat Protein first, blah blah blah

I started of great but even after a fill I didnt lose much. I eatabout 1600 cals. per day (thats more than recomended) but I stlii weight 200lbs. I bike,walk,swim etc...

I am sorry but I love hearing stories like that. It makes me feel better to know I am not the only one. I am exercising like crazy and doing everything everyone tells me, and the scale never budges.

I might try going on the liquid diet I was on the first 4 weeks just to see if it makes any difference. It drives me nuts to see people who were banded the same time as me and have lost 60 lbs. I have lost 24 and 22 of them were from the 1st 4 weeks of being on a liquid diet.

What a great attitude you have Kim~ Let's keep this all relative though I a non-banded person, would give my left shoe (my those were the days designer heels) to lose 40 lbs!! Wow...Also since 2004 I've gained that much! So keep up your positive outlook = you are in better health now!

Oh great. My comment would be the start of a whole new page.....I hope someone sees it....*lol*

Slow losers, slow responders.....that's what it must be.....*lol* Well, I'm a pre-bander and a little nervous. Just looking for some sort of feedback. ;))

Thanks so much for that wonderful encouragement. It helps to hear someone else say that slow is okay and maintaining is a strength. Like you, I Yo-Yo'd all the time, never maintaining. Hurrah for us banders and let's keep on keeping on!

I dropped a lb today after a very long plateau. I think I will probably lose extremely slowly. I guess that's okay as long as I am losing and not gaining.

I see that folks here are very number conscience ...I think the scale lies especially if you are exercising. I can drop 2 dress sizes and only lose 5-7 lbs.!

Yes, unfortunately, I like to see the scale drop. I know my thighs are much smaller since I started my weight routine. I measured when I started 3 years ago and my thighs are 3" smaller around. I wish my waist and hips would do that though. I want my face to thin out too.