Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

I didn't want to be a slow loser, who does? Yet I have always lost slow so I am not surprised. I did low-carb with 5 other women and over a 3 month diet "challenge" I lost 14 lbs and they all lost 35-24 lbs. And yes, I weighed LESS than the lady that lost even the 24 lbs. I was working my ass off coming home and working out and she was talking about how she "cheated at McDonalds with a burger and fries at least twice a week". I guess we are all individual in rate of loss but I think secretly I hoped that the weight would just miraculously fall off after banding, lol. I am now fairly content to recognize myself as a slow loser. I feel better and look better, and who knows.......I may hit a sweet spot or good week/month and push myself into the catagory of "faster slow loser". Regardless, I am in fabulous company!!!

Well, Friday I had my blood drawn for the latest round of blood work for my metabolic testing. They did an insulin resistance test, the first one I've ever had. Not sure why I've never had one before, perhaps because all the glucose tests have always come back good?

My thyroid is enlarged, but I don't know what means yet.

I've been on the thyroid meds now for almost a month. I'm actually down a couple of pounds in a month, me! Back down a couple pounds, who woulda though?!

More importantly, since I've started the meds I feel better. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm not as tired all the time as I was before I started them.

I am going to see the internist on Tuesday. They should have the results by then, and they already have some of the test results.

I suppose the I feel good because I finally have a doctor who isn't blaming me, who is taking this seriously.

:cry hola, i need help i dont know what else to do, my diet was very easy to do at the beginning, im now in my 6 month with 14 pounds... i need help because im back to the bad food, maybe im slow loser because i dont make any exercise?. what tip u people could give me.

Thanks and sorry for my english. if somebody speak spanish please add me to msn pinky_barragan@hotmail.com i need someone cool with support soul.

:cry hola, i need help i dont know what else to do, my diet was very easy to do at the beginning, im now in my 6 month with 14 pounds... i need help because im back to the bad food, maybe im slow loser because i dont make any exercise?. what tip u people could give me.

Thanks and sorry for my english. if somebody speak spanish please add me to msn pinky_barragan@hotmail.com i need someone cool with support soul.

I have detailed my hilariously slow losing rate on other posts here.

To spare everyone the dreaded details, I'll just condense it to say I'm absolutely in no danger of being told "you're just losing weight way too fast" by my surgeon, or anybody, now that I think of it.

My only saving grace is that I don't have that many more pounds til I hit my LapBand surgeon's original goal for me (which I think is about 17# away although I think I'm at least 20# away from people not being able to call me overweight, upon sight). At this rate it will take me - what? - maybe another year to lose the 17#-20# measly (by Weight Loss Surgery standards) pounds? I don't think I can face that long of a wait, and although if it takes much longer, even my surgeon will give up on me soon, I think! :thankyou:

Only my regular personal doctor thinks I'm losing weight at a remarkable pace. She thinks it will perhaps stay off longer because I'm losing it so slowly.

Only time will tell.

And apparently I've got a lot of time, indeed!

Happy Band Journeys To All,

The Slow-Losing New Sho

Crystal, feeling better after being on Thyroid meds is a sure sign that no matter what your 'levels' were at, your Thyroid wasn't working right FOR YOU. I'm so happy you found a doctor that will help you with your problem rather than blaming you.

This really sounds like the start of a turning point for you. I imagine that you must be feeling like you don't want to get your hopes up, you are still a bit giddy at the same time. At least, I would be.

:thankyou:

That exactly how I feel! On the one hand I really am giddy! I just IM'd my DH saying exactly what you said! Oh how funny!

I'm so excited that they are finally gonig to be able to tell me what's wrong, and how to fix it. I'm excited that I'm finally going to be able to start losing weight, and I'm not even daring to dream of being a rabbit!

But on the other hand, I'm terrified that they are going to tell me that there isn't anything wrong with me, that I'm doing it wrong, that if only I would try harder or work harder or be more deserving, I'll lose weight.

If anyone were to tell you that you would lose weight if you were more deserving, then you were at my house that day, because I imagine that person would have a severe case of death, quite quickly!

You have probably worked harder than most UNBANDED people in order to try and lose weight. There's something to it, and now that someone is listening to you, it's just a matter of time until the find it.

Hi Analoren, I'm sorry to hear that you are losing so slowly.

I would definately add excersizing to your day, not only because it should help with the weight loss, but it will help you feel better.

As for being back to the bad food, every day is a new day, so every day is a chance to start new. You already know what is your weakness, so for a week, avoid that food. Then the next week, avoid it again. You can do anything for a week, right? Well just string those weeks together!

Wish me luck! :pray: Please oh please oh please let me get some restriction today. It's been 3 months now... I would love to start losing... I'll take slow as long as it's steady! Oh please! :amen:

I think I'm a slow loser. I had my surgery May 2004, and I have lost 50 lbs. I just had an adjustment a few weeks ago and I'm at 3cc. Since this adjustment I can eat more than ever. Pray that it will kick in.:hungry:

Okay, when I first looked at your stats, I mistook the date, and was about to turn you down.

50 pounds in a year and 8 months qualifies you, no doubt. Welcome to the Turtle Tribe. I wish I had better news, like you were a rabbit but we are a fun bunch.