Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, Jachut, are you out there?

Just wanted to jump in here... When i get irritated, I take the liquid motrin dose for an 11 year old, every 4 -6 hours for a 24 hr period. I DO NOT TEST MY BAND and ONLY drink HOT HOT HOT chicken broth. I give my band a full 48 hours of rest, first 24 hours only consuming chicken broth. 2nd day, start my day with chicken broth and move on to SOFTIES like yogurt, etc. NO REAL food. The reasons for the chicken broth are various: a) it is a clear liquid :smile2: I can drink it HOT and like it and C) it is high sodium. High sodium is good for help in retaining Water which will help maintain and build water levels in the body until the irritation is gone. I am a 'expert' in this irritated stoma thing cause my band is easily irritated. I usually go through this routine once every couple weeks. It is annoying, but I have always had a sensitive stomach. This routine works like a charm.

No, it wasnt me that had luck taking swelling down with ibuprofen. I've taken it exactly once and could almost feel it burning a hole through my stomach. NSAID's like ibuprofen are not a great thing to be taking anyway, but with a lapband, they're really far from ideal.

I dont have any particular expertise on this, but if you're really in trouble, I'd be treating it like you do a baby with gastro, sips - like teaspoonfulls to stay hydrated until you can get to your doctor - which you should do as soon as possible if this doesnt subside.

Personally, I struggle with cold liquids, for me, I'd always be drinking something warm if I was a bit swollen.

Hope you get this sorted and feel better - and really, nobody wants an unfill but if its required, its the health of your band that matters, not your weight in any given week.

it might have been heathero... she was the one that clued me in on this tip and my doc DID give it the thumbs up...

Mimi i've had a rather nasty swelling issue myself a few weeks ago . The more I tried to eat or drink the more I threw up. It was awful but I didn't want an unfill either. I didn't get an unfill but finally put myself on Clear Liquids for 3 days then gradually increased my diet. I'd take a few sips of something wait at least 5 minutes before another sip. I've finally come to the conclusion i was not only super swollen but at least somewhat dehydrated. It dosent take too long to become that way. I'd also suggest switching to liquid Tylenol. But truthfully if you still can't keep anything down in the morning you should probably go back to your doc. I know not what u wanna hear but it's your safest route.

motrin, in small amts will help with the inflammation, but tylenol will not. again, we are talking pediatric doses, to be on the safe side.

I can see how maybe an anti-inflammatory would help, where tylenol wouldn't. And again, to be honest, unless you have stomach problems, as long as it goes on THROUGH the stoma, a dose occasionally shouldn't hurt. It's repeated use that causes issues. The problem is progressive. I don't mean this to countermand ANY doc's orders but to put it in perspective. NSAIDS aren't poison, any more than any other drug. But used over time, they can cause erosion.

For example my doc told me I can take motrin "because I know you'll be careful".

So for Mimilou, a little children's motrin tonight isn't going to cause her any more trouble than she already has, and it might help her.

mimi i suggested the tylenol just to help with general discomfort. when i get in that puking cycle my throat and chest end up hurting like hell. the pain makes me more anxious, then i end up throwing up more. thought it might help get you on the right track since you've already thrown the ibuprofen up a few times. and kglovers right on with the chicken broth. i keep a jar of boullin cubes around all the time. i hope you feel better soon

Let us know how you are doing. I have swelling issues and every time I had a fill and did not take children's Motrin I wake up swollen shut. I just take a dose the night of the fill and that is it. However, this week everyone around me has been sick and yesterday I woke up and could not keep anything down all day. It felt like it was swollen shut. I thought I was going to have to go for another unfill but instead I just stopped trying to eat or drink for a few hours and then late in the evening I was able to drink.

Earlier in the morning when I kept trying to get Water down it would come up with mucus. I had had problems the morning before also so last night I drank some liquid Tylenol for colds and this morning I was not so tight or blocked and have been able to get liquids down.

I think that the reason I was having problems is my body is fighting off the cold that my kids have and that while I slept mucus built up in there (Post nasal drip). In the morning I felt fine but felt congested. My nose was just a bit stuffy and I have been coughing.

Anyway, just give you band a break and if its not better in the morning you should go see your doctor. Let him know how what he said made you feel. He is there to work with you. Good luck.

You all are such lovely caring ppl.. I tried all of your suggestions and went to bed, Woke up with reflux a few times, but not too bad. I am drinking my fist cup of boullian (sp) and am hopeful it will stay down. I promise to go to the doc today if I don't get enough in to make me tinkle. I will deal with his attitude later if necessary.

Thanks to you all, and I hope you all have a great day.

Mimi

Mimi, how's it going so far? Were you able to keep the broth down?

I kept the broth down, thank you very much, and since then have kept down 2 Protein Drinks and my beloved coffee. Going w/o my coffee was a big worry for me, LOL, as I am addicted big time. I am starving for food, but am going to stay on liquids today and most of tomorrow and then go to mushies. I will never be w/o liquid Ibuprofen again!! And no more tough stringy albeit yummy meat for me!!!!

Mimi

I have been following the post and am glad to hear you are feeling better!

i LOVE coffee but avoid it. It can have a diuretic effect and right now you need Water Water WATER

i don't think there's anything wrong with coffee (not a doc just headstrong LOL) but right now it isn't your wisest choice. You want to improve your hydration, not make it worse! Unless you just have 1 cup a day...I'd pass until later tonight or tomorrow...or at least until you have 64 oz of water under your belt and are keeping it down.

Mimi - So happy to hear you're doing better!

I drink Decaf coffee and tea and never noticed missed the caffiene.