Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm desperate - need support/help!

Hi everyone - Just don't know where to turn this morning, so I'm turning here, I know some of you will understand. Today is the first day of my liquid diet, its not even 10am, and I'm having major difficulties mentally. I'm actually thinking, well maybe I'll just start it tomorrow, so I can go to my favorite Mexican place for lunch with my friend. Supposed to do it for 7 days and surgery is next Monday. I'm rationalizing all over, like well, my BMI is not so high, maybe I can not do liquid diet, or just for a few days. I'm so ashamed that I am actually trying to break the rules, and I've only been doing this a few hours. I'm scared at my weakness. OK, not sure what I'm asking, but HELP!:)

Hang in there! I started my pre-op diet today too, so maybe we can be support buddies. I am also really nervous about cheating, but I have to keep reminding myself of the bigger picture: looking slimmer and feeling better. TRY to stick with the diet... it's not only preparing you physically for the surgery, but also mentally. If you cheat now, what happens if you cheat post-op? If you can't help but feel preoccupied with food, try sipping on crystal light all day. That might be just enough to carry you thru. Good luck, and remember if you cheat, at least cheat on healthy foods and reasonable portions. Don't have an "all or nothing" mindset, just move on... trying to justify cheating on your diet or feeling overly guilty can both lead to more eating!

LL, hang in there and keep your eye on the prize. I know there are folks on this forum who went in for surgery and were closed up and sent home without the band because they didn't follow thier diet. The better you shrink your liver, the safer the surgery is.

Did you have any "last suppers" before you started your liquid diet? I must have had 30. ha ha

The first three days are the hardest and after that your body seems to adjust.

If you flat out cannot make it, allow yourself one lean/green meal per day. My doc allowed it for me and it's what got me through. I had 2 shakes a day and one meal with 4oz of meat and 1 cup of veggies. Still very low carb, but gave me something to sink my teeth into.

Skip the Mexican place, nothing good can come of that!

Hang in there!!! It's rough, but so worth it. I just try to keep myself busy so I don't think about it. Of course I have 3 kids to keep me busy! :)

Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement, it means the world at a time like this! Did I have last suppers, yup! So ridiculous, I didn't want to go to bed last night because I knew when I woke up it would be a world without my FOOD! I was up eating Milanos and milk at midnight (wouldn't tell anyone else that!) Abbypoo, how are you feeling? What does your diet consist of? Again, thanks so much ladies. Sometimes a few words can make all the difference :biggrin:

LL67, I had last suppers too! In fact, I think I've gained weight since I decided to get the surgery... talk about ridiculous! Here are the basic guidelines of my pre-op diet:

No more than 800 calories a day

Protein drink for Breakfast and lunch

Small dinner of lean meat and veggies

No caffeine, Pasta, potatoes or red meat

So far I'm doing pretty good. I had my first drink a couple hours ago, and I'm already feeling hungry again. I drank a diet, caffeine-free soda, and that seemed to help.

I felt the same way as you did last night! Fortunately I wasn't feeling that well so I didn't pig-out too much, though.

I am feeling the hunger, so I'll be taking my own crystal light advice! Keep me updated with how you're doing. Stay strong!

Hang in there! Many of us were in the exact same spot as you. I only had to do it for 3 days and thought I was going to die of starvation lol

Anytime you feel tempted, just try to remind yourself that this is for YOUR safety. The diet is supposed to reduce the size of your liver, therefore making laparoscopic surgery more possible and reducing the risks of complications from the liver in the way.

YOU CAN DO IT! Hang in there, try to see the big picture, and just remember that this won't last forever!

Good luck!

LL - just hang in there it will get better!! I too started my pre-op diet today. So far, I'm doing well but by the afternoon who knows.

The first three days are the hardest, believe me, when I say it will get better. I was on Optifast for 9 months a few years ago and was allowed 5 shakes a day and after the 3rd day it was smooth sailing.

I try to keep drinking my Water and that seems to keep me full. My diet consists of three shakes a day and a 400 calorie meal (lean meat, vegetables and a fruit). My nutritionist said that I could split the 400 calorie meal into 2 small meals and that's what I plan on doing.

I'm here to support you and if you feel the need to chat, please send me a private message.

Kim

I am on my 2 day of liquid dieting.I will be banded tomorrow and I am so hungry,but I dont want to do anything to jeopardize this surgery.Just be strong and remember why your doing this.Good luck.We'll all be here for you!

LL67.......

If it makes you feel better, today is day 21 of the pre-op diet for me!

My doctor asked me to do 3 weeks, since my BMI is over 50. My surgery is Thursday, so I have 2 more days of liquid, and then I'm going to guess I'm not going to want to eat solids for the next 2 weeks anyway :smile2:

The reason I haven't cheated? (and to say that I have wanted to is putting it mildly)

I did not want to look back at this journey, and see that I couldn't follow the rules from the beginning.

The one thing that has helped me is VERY STRONG flavored, sugar free chewing gum. They have all those crazy strong ones now: Dentine Ice, Ice Cube Crushers, Orbit.... etc. I chew it like a BIG OL' COW, and it definitely makes me feel better!

And, honestly, remember..... you can eat at your favorite Mexican restaurant again. But next time you go, you'll chew your food slowly, enjoy the HELL out of it, and come home with a doggie bag, because you won't be able to finish it.... so you can have it for lunch the next day too :)

Hang in there...... honestly, it does get easier!!

hangin.gif

Hugs,

Karen

WOW you are all the best, nicest and supportive group of people! I think your words really got me through the day, seriously. After lunch I started to get myself together (skipped the mexican place!) Now I'm feeling ok. I will survive! Tripletmamma, you just put me in my place, 3 weeks? WOW. How do you feel after all this time of not eating? Good/lighter/weak/strong? Bet you've dropped some pounds already! You are right, I was battling that "come on, whats one more day of food, it won't make a difference" and it prob wouldn't have, but to start off cheating just felt so wrong....Thanks again ladies, i hope I can be of some support in the coming days!:smile2:

Lisa

LL,

I know exactly were you are hun...and its not a good place. was there and thought I would rather just die !! I NEVER curse at my hubby and I pretty much told him to do whatever the FRAK he wanted and just leave me alone...BUT (drum roll please) good news is that it DOES get better !!! It's true day 3/4 is the turning point. Im on day 7 and somedays Ive been going on just 600 calories or so cause Im really not that hungry... have I had a little nibble here or there of grapes or some hummus...yeah but nothing more than 100 calories worth for the crunch.

When the hunger pans kick in take a deep breath and get up drink some cold Water and do something different than what you are to distract your mind and it will pass in a couple of minutes...promise it works

YOU CAN DO THIS LL !! YOU GOT THIS GIRL !!! THIS IS NOTHING !! :smile2:

I'll say what everyone else is saying - but it's true.

HANG IN THERE.

I had 14 day liquid only preop diet and I survived without cheating once - and could have gone on for longer - the only reason why is that after five days your body goes into Ketosis which supresses appetite. If you cheat then it delays this until you've had five days on the low carbs. If you need something to chew then vege it up! Make yoourself a big salad and cover it with vinegar.

Remember the purpose is to shrink your liver and if you don't do the diet then they might not be able to do the surgery as it is too dangerous to lift your liver.

I know it is probably little consolation but when you are hot and thin you will be thinking "OMG I cannot believe that I nearly canned out because of 7 days pre-op diet"

The rest of your life is waiting - and you WILL be able to eat again I promise!!

Girls, I am SO with you.

Today is also day 1 of my pre-op diet (14 days), and right now I am wondering how the f**k I am going to get through this.

The Protein Shake I had for Breakfast was thick, sickly sweet, gritty and slimey. I almost gagged trying to get it down.

Lunch was a berry Crunch Protein Bar... I held high hopes for it, but seriously, it wasn't much better.

I've just thrown together the protein Soup that's supposed to be my dinner, and oh my god, not a chance. One tiny sip had me gagging.

A male friend emailed me a photo of his vanilla latte and then proceeded to tell me about his chilli chicken burger for lunch, and somehow thought I'd think this was humorous... another friend sat down and ate a massive bowl of stir fry and rice with a can of coke in front of me, I couldn't believe it, I thought SHE would have a little more compassion than that.

My stomach is growling, I feel like I'm going to puke, all I want is food. I didn't want to be the girl who whinged her way through this. I really didn't.

So glad you made it through day one LL! You know what, I did too! By 4 pm it was beginning to be a struggle for me. I drank so much Water and crystal light yesterday! Fortunately for me the boyfriend (being so clever and sweet as he is) brought home sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free gum. Both have carbs so I can't go crazy, but they really cheered me up and took away my hunger pangs. Anyway, just got to mention... yesterday I got stung on the boob by a wasp! Almost half of my boob is all swollen and itches really bad... needless to say, can't sleep.< /p>