Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just getting started

Guest tinarenea

Guest tinarenea

Hello, I am new to the board and wanting to get the lap band done. I am going to my PCP in two weeks to advise him of what I am considering. Everything I read I am boarder line on getting approved. Working in insurance I know what the main critia for the gastic surgery is but wanted other opinion since I don't have my own insurance with my company (harrington) I have Cigna insurance through my husband coverage and they state the cover the procedure.

I turned 31 in July and have been overwieght for almost 8 yrs. Since the birth of my first child. After losing very little weight and a sudden weight gain of 40 lbs my doctor did many test. I was sent to a RE and found out I have PCOS (polycystic ovaries) I have trying many things and nothing has worked. I started out 8 yrs ago at 110 lbs and gained 80 lbs with my pregnancy.

I am 5'4 with shoes on and weigh 210 lbs. My BMI is 37.1 so for my medical conditions I have PCOS, high blood pressure, and border line diabetic. I take glucophage for my pcos which helps control my blood suger from getting worse at this stage anyway.

Any info you have that I can give or advise my doctor to help get Cigan to pay would be appriciated. I see to many denied in my company and just worried I won't get approved.

TIA

Tina

Woo....freaky. Are we the same person? I just joined the group too. I also recently turned 31, my BMI is 37, I am concerned about having borderline eligibility, and am waiting to meet with my PCP to talk about it. I don't have PCOS or any children, but close enough, right? :) Maybe we'll get through this at the same time. My current issue is that I can't get in to see my PCP until December. It's only been a week since I made the appointment, and I'm already about to tear my hair out from impatience. Lucky you gets to go soon. Let us know how it goes.

Welcome Tina! I hope everything works out for you! Sorry I can't help you with your insurance questions. My insurance wouldn't cover it so I was self pay. Good Luck to you! There are quite a few women here that have PCOS (me included). Keep us posted!

tina, i had cigna when i checked into getting the band. my policy required a 6 month supervised diet plan with my dr. which i didnt have . my insurance changed to united health care 2 months later & they didnt require that . i am 5;4 weighed 207 my bmi was 35.2 i have sleep apena . gerd & high blood pressure so the insurance gave the ok. if you have heartburn please tell your dr of that . good luck the band is the best thing i have ever done for myself. sandie

Hi, I'm just getting started on this journey too, I have a letter of medical necessity from my PCP and I have a consult with a surgeon on Oct. 4. I am so excited about my decision to do this, also a little scared. I am so tired of being out of breath when I climb a flight of stairs, or bend over to tie my shoes. Edna