Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay August Peeps, Anyone Else Scared?!?

Hey All -

Surgery is on Friday and last night when I was going to bed I started to freak out a bit. Not scared about failing or the pain or anything like that, scared about being put under. Reading the surgery stories and the moment that you move to the table and the mask goes on. I'm scared.....anyone else? Words of encouragement??

Still all about this journey and I know it's the right thing to do, but SCARY!!:)

Im a little scared to.I go in on Tuesday.I am nervous,but I know that afterwards my life will just keep getting better.I wish you the best of luck and everything will be ok.

Jen,

it's totally understandable and I'm completely with you on this. Ive never had any real surgery except lasik and am more than a lil bit nervous about the whole hopsital experience. We have to know that Dr. Fielding's team is incredibly experienced and know exactly what they are doing and that IT WILL turn out well and you'll be waking up later on friday on your way to a thinner and sexier Jen !!!

I'm a few blocks from NYU so if there's anything you need just PM me !!! :)

ok, ladies, let me break it down for you. I had my done on Thurs 7/30/09. i wasn't scared. weird I know. first thing don't trust everything you read on here, I did and I was wrong, every bodys doctors are different. I only had a 1 day pre-opt diet. which was that wed. 7/29/09 soft foods. I had to be at the hospital at 5.30 am. first they took me back put my gown on gave me 3 pills (chewable) my IV full of (clear gatoride she called it) and a shot in my stomach that hurt like HELL... to stopped blood clots. Then about 6.45 they wheel me down to the waiting area, my anesthologist , doctor and his nurse came to say hi and go over everything. so there they gave me Versaid (wrong spelling) but it makes you not remeber anything and makes you relax. then went to the O R and last thing I remeber is inhaleing in the mask. woke up in the recovering and I swear felt like 5 min but it was 12.00 noon. I left and came home around 2:00 I was in shock. I really felt no pain till the next day the gas is HELL!!!! it is stuck in your chest , back. it hurts. (they blow up your tummy during surgery) its like haveing a C-section if anyone has had one. the gas pain i mean. so Im on day 4 now , today I have felt great i started esplosive diareaa yesterday but boy does it feel good to release pressure today is the first for me to get out of bed by myself, i went to the mall yesterday and i was in pain but it started me passing gas and burbing. I have lost 8 lbs in these 4 days. im still swollen but i havent taken pain meds since friday. only before bed time. so the surgery i feel no pain only the gas THATS IT, if you can handle the gas trapped inside you its a cake walk. by the way not only I went thew this, started my period Friday the day after, so i have been dealing with that aswell. just drink your shakes, I have to force myself not hungry at all. love the ice pops sugar free. ok i think i went over everything, my husband was home with me threw today so 4 days. he was a great caregiver. i started at 234lbs, today 226. size 18 start. hope i ease your minds or answerewd any questions.

Mine is tomorrow and I am filled with all kinds of emotions.

Wow, that was great information, I have had two lapriscopic surgeries in the past, and I have never suffered from the gas pains that everyone is talking about but I don't know if it is because of the area they are working on or what, I don't like pain, but I knew from those surgeries the first three days were the worse. I am nervous about the possibility of having a hiatal hernia as I I feel like that would be closer to when my tonsils were taken out which was a beast.

I am on my 1 day pre-op of soft foods and liquids for today and off to surgery tomorrow at 10:45am. :)

Thanks everyone!! Stacey, thanks for the reassurance.

Jacqui - you rock!! Quick question for you. I've noticed a lot of people talking about Clear Liquids before and after surgery, but I don't see that we're required to do that. Agree or were you told something different by the nutritionist that I missed?

Hey All -

Surgery is on Friday and last night when I was going to bed I started to freak out a bit. Not scared about failing or the pain or anything like that, scared about being put under. Reading the surgery stories and the moment that you move to the table and the mask goes on. I'm scared.....anyone else? Words of encouragement??

Still all about this journey and I know it's the right thing to do, but SCARY!!:)

Don't be too scared! Anesthesiologists are very good at what they do, and I'm sure the ones who work with bariatric surgeons are even better. My only experience of going under was getting my tonsils out when I was 19... the anesthesia aspect was actually pretty fun! For about an hour after surgery I felt like a million dollars!

Stacey, thanks for all the info! I'm going to try not to freak out, I'm just hoping I survive my preop diet, right now I'm pretty hungry!

Hi Jen

My biggest fear was dying on the table and I was bawling my eyes out when the anesthetist came in to the room in the morning and I said "DONT LET ME DIE" and he sat down with me patted my arm and told me it would all be okay and that he'd look after me. He gave me a pre-med sedation so I was still awake but super relaxed - and then put me into theatre on a trolley and then put me to sleep. Was so much less scary than I thought it would be - and I woke up and I was FINE!!!

You will be too - remember these guys don't want you to die - their job is on the line! they will do everything they can to make sure you dont!!!

Yes, I am scared - but right now I am more scared of not surviving the pre-op diet which started today.

Thanks everyone!! Stacey, thanks for the reassurance.

Jacqui - you rock!! Quick question for you. I've noticed a lot of people talking about Clear liquids before and after surgery, but I don't see that we're required to do that. Agree or were you told something different by the nutritionist that I missed?

Hey Jen,

Nope as far as I remember we're just on the pre-op till the night before and then nothing after midnight. BTW, do u find that our nutrionist kinda of sucks, personality wise ?? Whenever I speak to her I ALWAYS feel like she just wants to rush me through and not really listen to me ? Do you get the same impression or is it just my psychosis ??

Versed ROCKS!!!! I wish they bottled it and sold it over the counter. It makes me happy and talkative.. others it puts to sleep. Great stuff regardless!!! DEFINITELY remember that word.. VERSED!

Ha ha ha, what is Versed?