Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are co-workers going to notice?

i work in a very small office (maybe 10 people?) and i have only told my direct manager. i do not think she has told anyone else but one reason i chose to tell her was that she is pretty good at keeping private things private.

but if anyone else in the office knew, the whole office would know almost instantly - because it is assumed everyone knew. i don't know how many times i've heard one coworker say to another, "oh! i thought you knew!" when discussing someone else's something or other...

*sigh*

the office manager is very curious and i know she wants to know but knows she can't have answers unless i tell her. she asked my manager what was going on with me because i had marked off a week off but my manager just alluded that i had something medical. apparently, the other girls in the office think i may be having a hysterectomy! (i've had female issues recently, too, with too many dr appts. thanks, PCOS. grrr.)

now i don't know what to say when i go back, because people are going to ask... :thumbdown:

You know, I have a friend that works with someone who got banded. She would say how when her friend would eat, she was always going into the bathroom and throwing up. She said everyone was always talking about her, like "oh, there she goes again.. maybe if she wouldnt eat bad things. They didnt understand things get stuck. I wouldnt even mention anything to work people. They wont be fully educated unless you go over everything you have learned one by one. Thats not gonna happen. Its not like people will see your eating habbits. Shoot, there are some peole who dont eat ANYTHING for lunch at all. They arent going to be watching like a hawk at what your eating or how much.

I chose to be completely open, although originally I wasn't sure about that. I work in a law firm and not one person has said anything negative, not one word! I get a lot of praise, "how much have you lost now," "you look so good!"

The reality is, if someone gives you grief, of course you're going to wonder why they chose to be negative. And if somebody criticizes your choice, tell them this: I've been overweight and truly miserable for years. I've dieted and then regained everything I lost more than once and always with a few extra pounds for good measure ... and more misery. Why would you criticize me for seeking help to end my misery? Do you think I should just be miserable for the rest of my life?

This would seem a bit of a hard butt response, but Missy, if this co worker continues to try to undermine your decision and success, that would/could be seen as harrassment. If it doesn't stop, you might want to talk to your manager or someone in HR,

Good luck that it doesn't have to go that far.

Sheri

. What in the world would make them think

There is the point. Many don't think. Between my wife and I we each have had several obnoxious people get downright demanding in wanting answers. I chose to keep it to myself.

At work I only told my secretary and my boss. Unfortunately, my boss apparently sucks at the confidentiality thing and told a bunch of her pals at work. I was not a happy camper.

If anyone asked, I initially told them I was counting calories and hitting the gym a lot (which I am). Once it became apparent that the band was really going to work for me, I started telling people I had a band put in to help me along the way, but it was still a lot of work.

Most of my co-workers have been very supportive and positive. There are always going to be a few who aren't, but they're mostly the couple I didn't get along with beforehand either, so I didn't really expect otherwise.

I don't usually keep secrets, but after testing the waters at work and coming up with responses like "you should just exercise, go on a diet, less calories, ww" I decided to not tell anyone at work about my surgery. I'm not an idiot, most people don't lose weight quickly w/o surgery so I realize they are going to notice something. But, I had my surgery 6 days ago, and I'm planning on going back in 3 days. I've lost a few pounds, do you think they are going to notice? And if they do, (now or in the future) how do you respond? Any good responses would be appreciated!!! Thank you!

btw- the names's Jane, nice to meet you, and THANK YOU for the site, awesome blogs and answers to questions. love it!

In my own opinion if you want to tell them, tell if not then don't. I personally know why I got the lapband, and it was to have a better quality of life for myself. If co-workers or friends or family cant understand that, then that is their problem. So far I have not had one single person say anything bad to me, and everyone has told me I am looking really good, and to keep up the good work. I find it to be a really good motivator in helping with the weight loss.

Just remember that one lie leads to another leads to another...remember Star Jones? She never outright lied but she didn't tell the truth either.... I have told everyone...keeps me accountable...but if you choose to keep it to yourself don't mislead people but saying you are just counting calories or hitting the gym hard...because someone may try to follow your lead and fail and be even more discouraged.... teach people about the tool you have and be proud of the choice you made to have a better life...but that is just my opinion....I would rather tell the truth once then figure out my string of lies...who did I tell what to...ya know?

Good Luck!!

Kels

They will notice but one thing I like about the lap band is that the weight loss is gradual. I did not broadcast my surgery to co workers either. Frankly, it isn't anyone's business. Especially, in the beginning stages. It is enough trying to adapt to the new lifestyle. I defintely did not want to hear from others who were going to be negative or provide feedback that I was not ready to hear. Good luck!

you tell who you want. i personally dont have time for all the negative BS that other people want to share. sometimes its jealousy sometimes its lack of knowledge, either way i dont want to hear it. im grown and the only input i desire is my care team. im focusing on me now.

will i share it, yes i will, but only with certain ppl. you know who your nosey co-workers are as well as those that dont really care for you. let those ppl wonder, lol.

At first I didn't tell anyone at my office except two very close co-workers, heck now I tell EVERYONE! I guess I was embarrassed about it at first, felt sort of like a failure that I had to finally resort to something this drastic just to loose weight. Then I thought you know what, I'm proud of what I have done! And I don't care who talks about me. The way I see it is if they are talking about me, they are giving someone else a break! Hold your head up and be proud of what you have done. And who cares what the other people say, we are going to be healthy and happy and they are still going to be fat!