Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have a port that protrudes so it actually leaves a lump under the skin?

I have seen a few people who have ports that stick out but that is after they have lost 80 plus lbs. I would talk to your doctor because they can change your port to a low profile one that shouldnt stick out like that. Best of luck.

I agree it's a little early in the game for you to have a port that is so visible! Mine is still buried under an ample fat pad.

Check with your surgeon; it doesn't sound right.

Mines does :)...Im only 9 days post-op but I think it will protrude a bit because the rest of my tummy has gone down except the port site. I know the port site can stay sore/swollen for 6 weeks...so I guess I'll see in 6 weeks if it goes down any. But I can suck my tummy all the way in..and there is a lump where my port is.

I noticed you have a realize-c band...so do I. :)

Thanks, peach, monkey, teacher and nazzy.

Funny thing is I chose the realize because it has the lowest profile port!

For the record, the surgeon says it sticks out because there is hardly anything between my skin and abdominal wall... all the fat is beneath it. I'm not sure I buy that.

I also have a port that sticks out and hurts. It has been almost 3 months and I am going to have it checked out on Tuesday.

Ports do stick out and I don't care what anyone says. I had the low profile port put in after the original one and it still sticks out, but to your eye. No one when I show them can see it sticking out unless you have them touch it and they say oh yeah.........

I had a Tummy Tuck awhile back and maybe when the doc moved it he didn't know what he was doing. It is a small price to pay for a lifetime f becoming healthy. Just be sure to keep it away from the aistband of your pants and skirts. This is what really hurt me a bit.

Josephine

Mine has always stuck out but I don't have lot of belly fat - that is why and I appreciate it sticking out because the doctor has no trouble finding it to give me a fill compared to his other patients. And Josephine is correct - no one else can really see it.

I'm pear-shaped and even at my highest I never had much fat at all on my upper stomach. I'm almost 2 months post-op and I can easily feel my port--but then again so can my doctor. Fills have been nothing but a breeze. I fully expect that after I lose 150 lbs. (please, please, please!) that my port will be visible. But I don't care. It will be a small price to pay for a healthy-sized body. Besides no one will see it except my husband anyway--and he's seen me at my highest weight so there are few surprises left.

My surgeon told me that once it became an issue for me (port sticking out) it would be his honor and privilege to address the issue...so it seems there's something they can do, if they want to (and we want another surgery) once all weight is lost.

Interesting all and thanks!

I'm sure I'll have to get the port moved eventually. That'll probably be a trip to Mexico as I'm sure my insurance won't cover it. ANY health care reform has got to be better than this "system"!

I am so glad to see a thread that deals with this issue. My port really sticks out. I am 5 weeks post surgery and I started out at 309 lbs--with most of my weight being on my thighs, hips, butt, arms, and boobs but not my waist. I asked my doc about the port issue when I saw him at my post op visit and he said he knew this would be an issue because I didn't have a lot of "waist fat". Like the people said above, it is a small price to pay. However, I have to say...my husband says "no sex while that thing is in you...so I guess I will be celebate for a while. Really, I told him to get over it since the band is here to stay! It's the third partner in our marriage. I am down 48 lbs. since beginning this journey and everything, including a port that you can feel and is slowly emerging as a "showpiece" of my body, is worth it!!

I'm just afraid I won't have all those South American beauty queens fawning over me when they see that alien lurking just below the surface!

Mine sticks out. I think if people ever saw me in a bikini (yeah right!) they would be able to tell but mostly b/c the 3 inch scar is right on top of it.