Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 Mile Challenge

Did any of you tell your co workers about your WLS? I told only 3 people at work. I do not want everyone always asking how much weight have I lost or commenting about my weight in general. What are your thoughts on this subject?

I did not tell any of my coworkers about the surgery and for that very reason. My husband and son (age 21) know and my 2 sisters and my best friend. That's it.

If a coworker asks...the answer is watching what i eat and plenty of exercise...which is absolute truth~!

Originally Posted by 2911plans viewpost.gif

Did any of you tell your co workers about your WLS? I told only 3 people at work. I do not want everyone always asking how much weight have I lost or commenting about my weight in general. What are your thoughts on this subject?

I've told only one co-worker, my husband, and my mother (and I almost didn't even tell her!). Everyone else doesn't need to know--they just want to satisfy their curiousity anyway. I consider my weight to be a private matter. Just because you can see my problem doesn't make it your business. I would possibly tell someone if they were really looking for answers for their own life-long struggle with obesity and dieting, but even then it would have to be someone that I trust not to gossip. I've had as many bad experiences with people looking over my shoulder as I've had diets--I am so done with that!

Originally Posted by 2911plans viewpost.gif

I've told only one co-worker, my husband, and my mother (and I almost didn't even tell her!). Everyone else doesn't need to know--they just want to satisfy their curiousity anyway. I consider my weight to be a private matter. Just because you can see my problem doesn't make it your business. I would possibly tell someone if they were really looking for answers for their own life-long struggle with obesity and dieting, but even then it would have to be someone that I trust not to gossip. I've had as many bad experiences with people looking over my shoulder as I've had diets--I am so done with that!

I felt trapped into sharing my WLS. I had the surgery 2 weeks before school was out. The nurses in my surgeons office had the surgery and they conducted the seminar. Each one said they had surgery on Friday and went back to work on Monday. Well I took the bait thinking I would ony miss two days from work. My surgery was performed on a Thursday. I ended up missing the last week of school because my body was too weak to return to work. I went in on the last day to tell my students goodbye. I was then asked by several people about my surgery. I felt obligated to tell them.

I went to my school yesterday to meet with our new administration team. One girl that I told about the WLS walked up to me in front of a group of people and said, "Wow, Dee you look good. How much weight have you lost?"

I have not lost much weight at all in my opinion. I brushed her off my saying, I've been working out and toning up. She got the message that I was not going to discuss my weight in that setting.

I am going to go for 60 miles this month. Unfortunately my treadmill decided to die :). Been hoofing it outside though..works just as well. Good luck to all!!:ohmy:

Just what I need, can I join in too. It's not much fun hoofing it on my own although my 15 yr old daughter has literally pushed me out to walk recently. I go gym as in treadmill , cross trainer and recumbent bike ans walk around a gorgeous lake locally. does any or all of this apply? If so I'm up and running from today, well walking, running is a future goal.

Good to see you all moving too :)

Realistically I will set my August goal at 50 miles. :ohmy:

Just what I need, can I join in too. It's not much fun hoofing it on my own although my 15 yr old daughter has literally pushed me out to walk recently. I go gym as in treadmill , cross trainer and recumbent bike ans walk around a gorgeous lake locally. does any or all of this apply? If so I'm up and running from today, well walking, running is a future goal.

Good to see you all moving too :)

Realistically I will set my August goal at 50 miles. :ohmy:

Welcome to the challenge Elleaitch. All of the methods you listed applies. Kudos to your 15 year old for keeping you motivated.

I am in! It sounds like just the motivation I need. I got my band end of April, and have lost 21lbs. I was up to 23lbs, but last week I actually gained 2 lbs. :sneaky: I was so shocked. I have not gained weight since the surgery. I decided it may be time to step it up and start excersising. I am not a morning person, but with working full time and having two very active young children, mornings are going to be the only time I will have for myself. So, maybe for the first time, I am going to experience 5am. It will be helpful to know that I am not the only one up that early. My goal for August is 50 miles.....wish me luck, and dont let me slide. I promise to do the same for you. :lol:

I am in! It sounds like just the motivation I need. I got my band end of April, and have lost 21lbs. I was up to 23lbs, but last week I actually gained 2 lbs. :wink: I was so shocked. I have not gained weight since the surgery. I decided it may be time to step it up and start excersising. I am not a morning person, but with working full time and having two very active young children, mornings are going to be the only time I will have for myself. So, maybe for the first time, I am going to experience 5am. It will be helpful to know that I am not the only one up that early. My goal for August is 50 miles.....wish me luck, and dont let me slide. I promise to do the same for you. :crying:

Welcome to the challenge Smile. We will not let you down. You have done well with your weight loss. Congratulations! I am hoping to see the scale go down in the next few weeks after returning to work. I have been grazing somewhat. I can't wait to see a 20 pound loss. You have already motivated me to try and reach that goal.

The goal of the challenge is to get in the habit of exercising. We set our personal goals so that we have something to reach for. Just keep moving. We are in this together.

2911Plans and Willowcat, I just noticed that we were all banded at around the same time. I was banded on May 22, 2009. I was wondering how many fills you have both had by this time and if you did the lapband or realize band.

I did the realize band. I just had my 2nd fill yesterday. I'm amazed at the difference I feel today on restriction. Really satisfied with very little food. I was still able to do my full 5 miles on the elliptical at the gym tonight. So that was great. I had been doing a bit too much grazing and am now really trying to only do 1 cup of food 3 times a day.

I like to see how people that were banded around the same time as me are doing and what their experiences are. We are all around the same age too. I am 47.

Yeah! Another early exerciser! Deb and Smile, it really helps my get-up-and-go so early in the morning to know that there are two other people getting up so early to exercise! I know I'm not alone--and there's no reason for a pity party!

Jenai, I have the 10 cc Lapband. I currently have 5 cc in my band--just two fills. The second one made a big difference for me too. I have three meals a day with a snack at 10:00 am and again at 9:00 pm. I usually have 8 oz of milk, a LF cheese stick, or a SF pudding for my Snacks. Sometimes I have plain almonds. I try to keep the two snacks under 100 calories, low in fat, and sugar free. Keep up the good work Jenai! Glad you're on board here! How tall are you? I'm 5'2". Willow

I came across this a few days ago, and it really helped me to feel more energized today--while I was riding my exercise bike at 5:00 am (I just kept saying it to myself over and over)! It's a positive affirmation from Dr. Dyer's new book, Excuses Begone.

I am passionate about my life,

and that passion fills me with

enthusiasm and energy!

My miles this week look good....17.5 miles - walking my back countries roads.....I pushed myself this week because next week will be way down. Gotta run going camping this weekend and the lake is calling.

Good Luck everyone. Deb

2911Plans and Willowcat, I just noticed that we were all banded at around the same time. I was banded on May 22, 2009. I was wondering how many fills you have both had by this time and if you did the lapband or realize band.

I did the realize band. I just had my 2nd fill yesterday. I'm amazed at the difference I feel today on restriction. Really satisfied with very little food. I was still able to do my full 5 miles on the elliptical at the gym tonight. So that was great. I had been doing a bit too much grazing and am now really trying to only do 1 cup of food 3 times a day.

I like to see how people that were banded around the same time as me are doing and what their experiences are. We are all around the same age too. I am 47.

Jenai I also have a 10 cc Lapband. I've had 3 fills for a total of 4.5ccs. I do not have any restriction. My next appointment is Tuesday 8/11/09. I hope this fill helps me feel satisfied with just a few bites. I started off being satisfied with a few bites for a month after surgery. My surgeon had given me 2 ccs during the procedure. The restriction wore off and I have not had it since. It will be easier once I return to work. I was grazing a bit and eating the wrong foods. Once I return to work, my Breakfast will be a Protein shake and Soup for lunch.

Willowcat thanks for posting that quote. I just got in from a workshop and thought I would skip my workout today. Thanks to you I am going to put my miles in today.

...I am going to put my miles in today.

Yeah! You can do it, 2911! :scared2:

(Hope the workshop was a good one.)

Willow