Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2009 Mile Challenge

Jenai thats great. Thank you for doing that for us. I am not computer saavy at all. I logged my miles by using my stationary bike. It is getting easier for me to use it daily. I need to reset my goal from 50 to at least 60 miles. I initially thought I would use my treadmill for the challenge, but I got a better workout on the bike. I have an ellipitical machine too, but I can not go more that 1 minute on it and it only tracks steps not miles. Does anyone know if you can convert steps into miles?

2000 steps equal 1 mile

2000 steps equal 1 mile

Thanks Blaze21!

:frown:Hey guys,

This really sounds great. I really need some support now. I am a recent victim of band slippage. All of my Fluid was removed and will be like that for three months. I am totally on my own right now. As I said before I really need some support. I go back to the hospital in the morning for another upper GI to check the band. How are you setting your miles? Is there any particular goal? Feel free to email me at sparky@suddenlink.net.

:frown:Hey guys,

This really sounds great. I really need some support now. I am a recent victim of band slippage. All of my Fluid was removed and will be like that for three months. I am totally on my own right now. As I said before I really need some support. I go back to the hospital in the morning for another upper GI to check the band. How are you setting your miles? Is there any particular goal? Feel free to email me at sparky@suddenlink.net.

Hi Sparkles. Sorry to hear about your band slippage. I don't know if you are experiencing pain or any other complications, but I truly hope you are ok.

Welcome to our challenge. We are all hear to motivate and encourage each other. We had a great July and we are so excited about our next month's journey. Initially it started as a 50 mile challenge, but I did not want to exclude anyone who had other goals in mind. That was the best thing for this challenge. It helped many of us push past our set goals when we saw other members working hard everyday and meeting higher goals. Set your goal for whatever exercise you are comfortable doing and just log your miles every Saturday. There may be times when you feel like giving up, but come back to this thread and you WILL be encouraged to keep moving. In 30 days I have lost several inches around my thighs. I did not measure before the challenge started, but I am wearing a pair of shorts that were literally cutting off my circulation and today, the shorts are so loose around my thighs. I am on cloud nine.

Theres another thread that I need to unsubscribe too or I'm going to continue to post on the wrong one.

My july miles were 57

Way to go with the inches 2911! Wonderful!!! :)

Way to go with the inches 2911! Wonderful!!! :)

Thank you Willowcat. I was a little disappointed because the scale did not move, but the loss of inches lets me know I'm doing something right.

Thank you for the posts of mileage totals in July. I also went back through our July thread to try to get totals.

This is what I was able to glean.

The totals look impressive to me. Way to go to all of us!

Participant................Method............Miles Total

Willowcat.................Exercise Bike..............180

Jenai...........................Elliptical......................85

Openag.............................................................61

2911 Plans.................Exercise Bike..............55

MrsNeener.................Treadmill....................50.5

Jujuvee.......................Walking/light jog......57

Neonatalicurn.................................................6

Godshelp.........................................................12

Edited by Jenai

Did anyone reward themselves for a job well done in July?

I went and got my new workout shoes and my tootsies are so happy! They were expensive, but so worth it. :)

I am a kindergarten, Title I Reading Teacher. I can have up to 6 children every half and hour which I try to keep it under 6. My caseload is usually about 45 which means I see a little over half of the kindergarteners in my building. I also do the daily lunchroom duty. My plan time is during the afternoon kindergarten recess. I'm thinking about starting a wellness exercise kids group during this time with those little guys that don't or have trouble moving at recess I just hate seeing those little ones not moving at recess. I'm just not quite sure how to get those involved. Any ideas?

I also like the idea of being accountable for the miles weekly. So Saturday it is.

Willocat - I'm not a morning person either but I have a very strong DH that does a great job of kicking me out of bed every morning. I'm getting up at 5:30 am and have to be out the door before 6:00 to get my hour walk in, then back by 7:00 (shower & breakfast) and out the door by 7:45. Luckily I'm only 10 minutes from school unless I get caught behind the bus (yuck!)then its a 20 minute ride. I started practicing my schedule this morning ... it works but not much time to breathe. LOL

Anyway thanks for welcoming me into your challenge.

Deb

Did anyone reward themselves for a job well done in July?

I went and got my new workout shoes and my tootsies are so happy! They were expensive, but so worth it. :smile2:

Hi Jenai. I have been curious about your new shoes. How do you get them back so fast? Are there shoes in stock that match your measurements or do they custom make the shoes? I think that was a wonderful reward.

Willowcat and I both decided on pedicures as a reward. I'm not sure what our other members did to reward themselves. I can't wait to reward myself with a pair of skinny jeans. I hope they are not out of style by the time I lose enough weight. HMMMMM! I think I will set a mini goal to fit into a size 12 jeans by October. That will be my reward at the end of September. I'm in a tight 14 now. I have 2 months.

Did any of you tell your co workers about your WLS? I told only 3 people at work. I do not want everyone always asking how much weight have I lost or commenting about my weight in general. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Edited by 2911plans

I'm starting a bit late, but i'd like to join as well! I did walk 12 miles at work the other day as a waitress, so i guess my month is off to a pretty good start! :-) Thanks..

I'm starting a bit late, but i'd like to join as well! I did walk 12 miles at work the other day as a waitress, so i guess my month is off to a pretty good start! :-) Thanks..

Welcome to our challenge Snereb27. You are off to a really good start logging 12 miles in one day. WOW!

Hi Jenai. I have been curious about your new shoes. How do you get them back so fast? Are there shoes in stock that match your measurements or do they custom make the shoes? I think that was a wonderful reward.

Willowcat and I both decided on pedicures as a reward. I'm not sure what our other members did to reward themselves. I can't wait to reward myself with a pair of skinny jeans. I hope they are not out of style by the time I lose enough weight. HMMMMM! I think I will set a mini goal to fit into a size 12 jeans by October. That will be my reward at the end of September. I'm in a tight 14 now. I have 2 months.

Did any of you tell your co workers about your WLS? I told only 3 people at work. I do not want everyone always asking how much weight have I lost or commenting about my weight in general. What are your thoughts on this subject?

The first thing they did in the fitting process was have me hop on the treadmill in my socks and walk a bit. They video taped that and played it back. They were looking for pronation. I was neutral. Then they measured my feet to see the length. I have a high arch. So they went to a few pair of shoes in my size, that concentrate on neutral motion. They have you either hop on the treadmill or they have a concrete ramp that they have you walk up and then down. They want to make sure you don't have slippage in the shoes from the heel to the toe. We went through about 8 different pairs until I found the ones that were comfortable and didn't slip. They had many different categories of shoes depending on your particular traits. It was an interesting process.