Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shredded cabbage in meatloaf???

So, it's late, I'm bored and searching the net for healthy recipes, and I come across a crockpot meatloaf that calls for shredded cabbage in place of bread crumbs. Just wondering how good it would work and how it would taste...

Anyone ever tried this before?

No but it sounds great! I love cabbage. I suppose it would matter on how well you tolerate cabbage. If you can eat greens/fibrous foods, then you'd probably be safe to try it. Experiment! You might yourself a fantastic new recipe that becomes an old favorite!

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

No but it sounds great! I love cabbage. I suppose it would matter on how well you tolerate cabbage. If you can eat greens/fibrous foods, then you'd probably be safe to try it. Experiment! You might yourself a fantastic new recipe that becomes an old favorite!

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Not at all! I tolerate greens fine, so eating it wouldn't be a problem for me. I was just wondering how well it would bind, but I'm guessing it would do just fine. I'm sure I will change up the recipe some. For some reason I can never just go strickly by a recipe. I always add or substitue something, lol. Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

• 1 pound extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1 egg, beaten

Preparation:

First, make foil "handles." Fold a 30-inch long piece of foil in half lengthwise. Place in bottom of a slow cooker with both ends hanging over top edge of cooker.The foil strip will make it much easier to remove the meatloaf when it's done. I also put a piece of crumpled foil in the bottom to keep the meatloaf out of the fat.

Combine all ingredients; working with hands until blended. Shape into round loaf. Place meat loaf on rack or crumpled foil in 3 1/2 to 5-quart crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.

Just wanted to share that I made this for supper tonight and it turned out really good! I didn't use the celery seed or the dried onion. I just used real onion instead. And I added a little shredded cheese into the meat mixture. DH and DS really liked it too! DS ate A LOT!

Seems like the cabbage would keep the meat really moist. Sounds yum.