Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Breathing Difficulty?

:tongue2: HAS anyone had this symptom? It just feels like I can't expand my lungs fully. I also can't talk but in short bursts or slowly. (Maybe soon I'll be like the kid on Malcolm in the Middle.)

Is this common in the first few days? I was banded yesterday afternoon.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

hello was feeling the same way. I was banded on the 20th of this month. I also not only was banded but hhad a hiatal hernia so that was repaired. I went to see doctor on Thursday because i was coughing alot and had lots of phelgm. He removed all the Fluid from the band. Feels better but still i'm breathing heavy. I never breathed this heavy before.

I am no help! but I feel your pain!

This is problematic because...it may just be normal post op problems or it may be a clot. When you really TRY can you breathe deep, even if it hurts? Or do you expand your lungs and it feels like it just isn't doing anything? If it hurts to breathe, that's normal. Your diaphragm is in there and sometimes gets ticked off. Plus you're swollen...your lungs will be discommoded a little. So pain/soreness, hurts to breathe deep, all that's ok.

AND I'm a nurse, but a new one, so these observations are just opinion...not meant to replace the advice of your doc or a more skilled nurse, ok? You may also have some Fluid in your lungs (can easily happen post op) Were you given an incentive spirometer (the breathing thingie?)

Edited by RestlessMonkey

I also felt like I couldn't get a full breath. I think mine was the Co2 gas, plus swelling. It helped me if I stood and with both hands on the kitchen counter, I leaned forward slightly. Reclining in a recliner also seemed to help. If you are not doing so, take the max that you can (according to the package) of the Gax X strips.

Once I started burping, I could breathe better!

I definately had this problem... so much so that I complained to my surgeon. He wanted to make sure the inabilityto take a deep breath was coming from my abdomen (diaphragm) and not chest (lungs)... the latter, as RM above indicated, a possible, a sign of a clot.

Mine was definately in my abdomen and did go away after 5 days or so. It did help to occasionally (5x a day) grab a hold of my kitchen counter while about 3 feet away from it, leaning over to face the floor and brace for a nice deep breath. It felt less painful to fill my lungs, and gave my body that much needed fill of oxygen. I got this idea from another poster (perhaps retigulus above) and it really helped me.

Most important is to get with your doc first and make sure it is NOT a clotting situation.

Do feel better soon!

Edited by katwmn63

i had the same thing. everyone saidpretty much what i did, so hand in there.try not to get to gassy,.. gas x will be great for the first week or so.also if your Dr.gave u a airlife,.. use it,.. it really helps to breath thru the pain

Maudi, yes, yes, I am experiencing the breathing problem. I was really worried about it, but did not call because it is the weekend and I figured that the doctor would just say go to the emergency room and I knew that I did not want to do that. Today is somewhat better. I am hoping that the problem is the swelling of the abdomen, gas and all and not a clot! (If I really thought that it could be one, I would definitely go to the hospital) –I am just trying to take this one day at a time and as long as the symptoms do not increase, and as long as each day I experience fewer symptoms, I feel that all must be a natural part of the healing process. I just want to say thanks to all of you who post on this site…it is so helpful to hear that others have shared some of the same experiences. It is only because Of this that I do not freak out! Thanks guys!

Thanks all. I suppose I was worried because I can't seem to raise that little airlife breather beyond 500-1000. I will call the surgeon's office about it tomorrow morning. I do feel a little better this morning.

I had the same problem. It hurt to take a deep breath. I had to use that lovely machine every hour. It helped me. I also walked every hour. Even if it was just around the house one time. Walking helps so much. I hope you feel better soon. Stay strong you can do this :tongue2:

I am so glad everyone is using these posts. I had the same worries about the deep breathing. It really helps to know what is normal and how everyone else is coping. I had surgery on the 23rd and seem to be doing great. I do know that it is very important to use the breathing apparatus thing.(I don't know what it is called:rolleyes2:) It still hurts to breathe deeply but hopefully it will lessen in a few days.

jtrda it is an "incentive spirometer". Breathing thingie also works!

It is very very important to take deep breaths every hour post op...for one thing, to prevent pneumonia. No kidding...that's a big issue for ANY surgery, for ANY person. So make yourself breathe deeply even if it feels sore. AND if you are short winded like the OP, you may need to call your doc or go to the ER. A pulmonary embolism is a danger...they are not common (that's one reason they stress the compression hose, the walking, the blood thinners, etc) but they do happen. That's a call a doc should make, not people on this board (like ktwmn63 said ... her doc took her inability to breathe very seriously and did some testing to make sure she was just healing). So don't treat it like it's nothing. Better safe than sorry!