Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I have been banded for 3.5 wks now. I would like to start exercising but don't have any clear instructions. I will be seeing my surgeon in a week and will get clarification, but wanted to see what those who have actually been banded have to say...

when did you start exercise and how intense?

anything you wish you wouldn't have tried?

what about sit-ups?

any info you would like to share would be great.

Thanks!

Hey! I am an exercise freak!! I was aloud to start little walking day 4. I would walk slow on the treadmill or around the house. At 2 weeks I was given permission to fully exercise. I wasnt allowed to life more than 10 lbs. After 3 weeks I could lift anything. I am now 5 weeks and I work out HARDCORE 6 days a week. It makes a difference!! I have lost tons of inches even though the scale isnt moving. An example of my exercise: Mon, wed, fri I kick box, Hop Hop Abs or Tae Bo. I do it for at least an hour. Sometime I do it 2-3 times a day. They are intense work outs. Tue, thur, sat, I go walking for 2-6 miles a day and yoga or pilates.

If youre at 3 1/2 week you need to get going! :cool2: Exercise makes all the difference. The only issues I have had are when I do too much incorporating my left side where my port is, it gets sore like a pulled muscle. My surgeon said Im not hurting anything. I need to build up the muscle. I was able to do sit up and everything at 2 weeks! Have fun!

Call your doctor and ask. Lap Band doctors all have different opinions on when to start. Remember it depends on the indivual how fit they were going into surgery on when they can start and what they can master. I have been walking and trail hiking slowly about 2 to 4 miles a day.I just started back at Planet fitness and started weight training no more than. 10 pounds and doing the stair master and elliptical..And doing some my stomach exercises; easy as my trainer saids. Start slowly; remember your body is gone thru a lot.Rock I impressed at what you are doing; can wait to be as fit as you. Congrats! Good luck Thereitgoes !

Banded 06/30/09 CMC Dr. Connie Campbell

Thanks CECE...My best friend is very small and fit and has been pushing me!! I wouldnt be here without her! I am young and I know this is the time for me to make a change while I can! I wouldnt say Im "fit" yet but man I am on my way!!

Your Welcome Rockstardiva; I am interested in trying yoga. I am looking for classes as we speak. That is great that you have a excercise buddy. I go to the gym alone but have plenty of people I know there; so I really do not feel alone. As for age I am middle aged and wish that I had the lapband when I was younger. Good for you for taking control of your health now before the health issues arise as you age and gain. I try to do some kind of excercise into my daily routine; even when I can not make to the gym. Parking the car far away from the store. Going up and down the stairs bring one item at a time. Slowly, but surely, I be healther and stronger and firmer for doing this for me. Have a great day, a great week.

Banded: June 30th 2009 CMC Dr. Connie Campbell

weight.png

I got on the treadmill and walked 1.25 miles. It felt great! :thumbup:

I will check with my surgeon on wednesday to find out if I have any exercise restrictions. Thanks for sharing your info!!

Hi, like it has been suggested I would check with your doctor... But my surgeon insists on a mile a day beginning the day of surgery. I began my 20 laps around the nurses station just a few hours after I arrived to my room from post-op recovery. I am now up to at least 3 miles a day (surgery was 7/9).

Best of luck to you!

Everyone is diffrent. I also had a hernia removed so it was longer for me. I had a really hard time when I got my first fill the other day. He could not hit the port. Yikes..Well as far as exercise..I walk not as far as I could before surgery. I tried to walk a mile the other day and thought I would die when I was done. My doctor said to try and let my body heal more. So I just walk around the block a couple times. Doctor knows best, good luck.

Good advice MustLooseIt,

Take it slow and check with the doctor. I just had my first fill on Friday and it went well. But I msut say I could feel the fill as she put it into me. I can feel the fill more. I am eating less; but I have to be honest I still think about food at times because Of my love for cooking. I have a glass of tea or Water instead or try to do alittle walking or working in the garden. My doctor just gave me the okay to do a white water trip in Mass. this weekend. I am excited about going. Hopefully this time I will not fall out like I did last year. I am trying to more trail hiking with my 11 year old also. Trying to find different ways to fit excecrsing in during the day. What are your favorite excecises to do during the day everyone?

I started exercising probably 2-3 weeks after my surgery (but my surgeon said I could start about a week after...I just didn't get my lazy butt moving until 2 weeks after that). I don't do anything crazy. I go 6-7 days a week and I do 30 minutes on the elliptical. That seems to be working okay for now. On my last diet, I was exercising at the gym for 1.5-2 hours a day, almost everyday. And of course I got burnt out and stopped doing it. So for now, I am losing weight at a decent pace and not hating my workouts. I may start adding some weights at some point - I'm really hoping that I can get my arms in good shape without PS. So weights are good for helping with that. Good luck!

Hey! I am an exercise freak!! I was aloud to start little walking day 4. I would walk slow on the treadmill or around the house. At 2 weeks I was given permission to fully exercise. I wasnt allowed to life more than 10 lbs. After 3 weeks I could lift anything. I am now 5 weeks and I work out HARDCORE 6 days a week. It makes a difference!! I have lost tons of inches even though the scale isnt moving. An example of my exercise: Mon, wed, fri I kick box, Hop Hop Abs or Tae Bo. I do it for at least an hour. Sometime I do it 2-3 times a day. They are intense work outs. Tue, thur, sat, I go walking for 2-6 miles a day and yoga or pilates.

If youre at 3 1/2 week you need to get going! :( Exercise makes all the difference. The only issues I have had are when I do too much incorporating my left side where my port is, it gets sore like a pulled muscle. My surgeon said Im not hurting anything. I need to build up the muscle. I was able to do sit up and everything at 2 weeks! Have fun!

Wow girl! You are an exercise fool. I thought I was until reading this. It sounds like you are very determined to get the weight off. Good for you. I go to the gym 4 days per week and ride my bicycle most nights after work and on my days off of work. I ride anywhere from 10-30 miles, just depends on how much time I have.

You go girl:thumbup:

I exercise everyday since my surgery - walking or swimming and will start lifting weights Friday at the 6 week post-op date. My doctor didn't want me lifting before then. I can feel and see a difference already. I just hope I can keep it up. Reading your success stories is really inspirational. I went from a depressed couch potato to someone who feels like they have a new lease on life!

I am a recovering WoW addict :). For the last 2 years I spent 8-10 hours a day on the computer. Now I go to the gym daily! Right now I do the treadmill for an hour [varying the programs], then do Nautilus and some free weights.

My Dr said I couldn't do crunches for 6 weeks after surgery, and I have to stay out of my kayak til then also :thumbup:.

I too feel a new lease on life. I'm loosing weight, loosing inches, gaining muscle, and having FUN :blink:!