Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Confession

Okay, although I know I'm asking for it, I just HAVE to talk about this.

Does anybody else start to get that "choking/PB" feeling and keep eating so they WILL urp up? I've never been bulemic probably because it was always very difficult for me to throw up, but now this productive burping spitup is pretty easy with the "right" foods. And now this is REALLY gross, but sometimes I actually enjoy it because the food is so fresh you can taste it coming up and it's almost like getting to eat it twice! (And don't even have to absorb the calories.)

I KNOW it's disgusting...and no doubt really BAD for my band, but all of you know how easy it is for us to get caught up in compulsive behavior. This isn't something I do OFTEN, but I haven't even had a fill yet, and I'm a little afraid if I get one I might get even worse at this behavior.

I CAN'T be the only one that does this?

Kare, as i see you are doing great on weight loss, so why so much stress?

i'm sure you know that is pretty dangerous to cause slippage...

you know it! so try to focus your mind in something more creative..

anyway in something else... you really doing fantastic so far..

you should Celebrate it!

lovz

I am really worried about your band slipping with this practice. This practice of throwing up after you eat becomes addictive and pretty soon people can't stop. It's really important that you can stop now before your health is ruined.

These are some tips I learned in my pre op nutrition classses:

They told me to get a baby spoon and fork, and eat tiny bites. It takes twenty minutes for our brain to signal to the body that we are not hungry anymore, so if you can extend the time you are eating, it might be easier for you.

Also they told me to just sit and eat, do nothing else while you are eating. That way we can concentrate on every bite and savor it.

The other thing the Dietician told us in class is that if you can eat some fat, Protein and carb in one meal, you are satisfied more than if you eat foods separately. Seems to work for me.

Another trick is to eat low glycemic index foods that will keep you feeling satisfied for a longer time.

Hope this helps!

I can really understand why this would be appealing to someone. We are cut off of our main souce of comfort and have not ever had to limit the intake before. It seems like this is a perfect answer, but.....

You can get in a world of trouble by vomiting your food. This problem gets worse each time you do it and becomes an obsession and an addiction.

If you still have problems with this, I would suggest that you see someone for counseling before your health and your band is ruined.

I am rooting for you!

Danistar

Here's what I do but I don't think it counts. I don't do it every time, only if the stuck goes on and on. If I get stuck and it won't pass and I'm aggravated, I know I'll end up PBing it at some point anyway, I take a pretty good sized gulp of Water or Crystal Light (tastes better when it comes back up) and stand at the sink. I don't really make myself PB, but if it's inevitable, I egg it on. You are right, a PB is not as gross as a vomit. It's just the food and some slime, not the acid yuck that comes up when your really vomit. I supposed I have done this 4-5 times maybe. It certainly isn't a habit or one that I'm concerned will become one.

Does that fit your profile?

Kare,

First of all, I give you major credit for realizing what you are doing and then telling us...I think you are telling us because you not only want to see if anyone else does this, but you are looking for help, too.

So, with that said, please find yourself some help, Kare....either on this board or go talk to someone. Throwing up or spitting up...whatever you want to call it, is not good for your band or your mental health. We care about you and want you to succeed and you can DO IT without throwing up, Kare.

I can only advocate the tiny bites and chewing. I've been practicing this before I gt my band and it is really amazing how much less i eat now before I'm satisfied.

Here's what I do but I don't think it counts. I don't do it every time, only if the stuck goes on and on. If I get stuck and it won't pass and I'm aggravated, I know I'll end up PBing it at some point anyway, I take a pretty good sized gulp of Water or Crystal Light (tastes better when it comes back up) and stand at the sink. I don't really make myself PB, but if it's inevitable, I egg it on. You are right, a PB is not as gross as a vomit. It's just the food and some slime, not the acid yuck that comes up when your really vomit. I supposed I have done this 4-5 times maybe. It certainly isn't a habit or one that I'm concerned will become one.

Does that fit your profile?

YES--that's it EXACTLY Kathy. It is not the same as vomiting. And I don't do it daily or anything... just now and then.

Right, I was posting because I can't possibly be the only one. And I wanted to hear how some other people are handling this. I've been afraid to say anything because I didn't want to get a big "counseling" lecture. Counseling? Comon. I'm 50 years old, have lost over 100 twice (50 half a dozen times), and know more about weightloss and eating emotions than most any counselor (as I'm sure many of you do). I absolutely realize it is STUPID. Just like I totally realize eating chocolate is STUPID.

I did want to "come out" on this to get the admonission out of my system and to see if anyone else does something similar.

The other thing I sometimes do (& I don't think there is anything wrong with it--it's just disgustingly gross) is finish chewing something but spit it out into the sink before swallowing. Sometimes when you've made half a sandwhich or something it's just so dang hard not to eat the whole thing. Somehow just chewing it gives a better sense of completion.

Come ON--I CAN'T be the only one??!!

The other thing I sometimes do (& I don't think there is anything wrong with it--it's just disgustingly gross) is finish chewing something but spit it out into the sink before swallowing. Sometimes when you've made half a sandwhich or something it's just so dang hard not to eat the whole thing. Somehow just chewing it gives a better sense of completion.

Come ON--I CAN'T be the only one??!!

hehe, me, too. However, I sit and eat and routinely spit out anything well-chewed that I don't want to risk getting stuck, ie: bacon, sausage patties, onion, hamburger, whatever ends up as an unchewable wad in my mouth. Then I spit it out. Yuck! But I don't eat it for the hell of it just because it's yummy and I'm not done. I'm more likely to take a sip of Water and make a bit more room for what I want and don't really need. I'm liking your idea a little better :) Chew, don't swallow? How sick is that? But, yeah, I can see it. Do like DeLarla does and pour salt all over whatever is half-eaten and ruin it. Or, just chew it and spit it out...it's really not a half-bad idea. Whatever it takes!

Well, I wasn't exactly putting it out there as a "good idea" but--hey--whatever works and doesn't hurt. I guess I'll just add it to my list of "Humiliating Things I've Done to Lose Weight."

:/

Well Kare, although I am fairly new at this, I too am a chew it up and spit it out person...Even on my liquid/mushy phase. I occasionally just HAD to have a doritoe or some other hard, bad for me food! So, I just ate one, or rather chewed one, enjoyed the taste and spit it in the trash. I always feel horrible about doing it, but I guess its alot better to taste and spit than taste and swallow??? Maybe I need counseling too, I'm sure it couldn't hurt!! lol

OK Your scaring me! I was bulimic back in high school. Then on and off over the years. BE CAREFUL you are doing bulimic behaviors which will mess you up so much in the head you can't imagine.

I am 45 yrs old. I have not done anything in over 15 yrs, however, I think about it every so often how much easier it would be to chew and spit out if make my self purge. It enters my mind for a second.

DON"T GO THERE GUYS! Trust me! if you want to talk to me more about it email me I'd be more than happy to give you details about how this little private personal "not so horrible" thing can screw you up and your loved ones up real good!

I must confess, I was banded 9/8 and I have chewed and spit 2 times. I had a small pc of fajita meat and I chewed it and spit it out. Thursday when I left the dr for my 2 week check up I stopped at McDonalds and got me a 99 cent burger chewed 1/2 of it and spit it out. It was sooooooo good to just taste it. I have been on liquids for 2 weeks and have to do 2 more weeks of liquids.

sw-240

cw-225

gw-150

banded 9/80/5

I would personally consider chewing and spitting a different category altogether from eating and purging. Purging is absolutely under no circumstances something that should be done with or without a band.

I suppose if a chewing and spitting behavior crossed a line to become some type of disorder...wow, where's that line? I dunno. I have chewed and spit meat more than a few times, mostly just to avoid a PB. With a history of bulemia, I would certainly NOT go there. But heck, chewing and spitting is not odd in this crowd, for whatever reason, I'm betting. Nope Kare, you are not alone. Humiliating? Maybe. Rare? Doubt it.

my nutritionist actually recommend the "chew and spit" dealy-o it gives us the gratification of foods we cant eat which in return makes it so we dont try or do eat something that can cause problems. (i do it often actually if i have a craving for something such as subway i eat the meat off of 1/3 of a 6 inch sandwhich and then 1/3 of it i try to eat.. some i manage to get down.. when im full i chew and spit then i save the other 1/3 for the next day.)

As far as making myself throw up.. if I feel that i've eaten to much (only happened once), that i didnt chew well enough (3 times) or something is just cloggy i guess I actually drink Water.. to encourage it to come back up because i'd rather get it over with then wait an hour for sliming. Once.. i actually forced myself to throw up because the pain was to unbearable.

My hubby laughs actually because he knows when i get something stuck (its always chicken nuggets in front of the computer when it happens) i run to the bathroom.. drink some Water and 2 mins later im back to eating and feel fine.

Its not a disorder in my case and i see absolutely nothing wrong with it. If it were something i did often.. or to have satisfaction (the throwing it back up part) then maybe.. but i do it to feel better when something isnt sitting right and 5 mins after it happens i go on about my day and can breath again.

As far as chew and spit.. i do it for the satisfaction. We are human .. well i am anyway. I dont do it to "cheat" or anything other than i want the taste of something i cant really eat but dont want the hassel of trying to get it down. I'm lookin forward to next weekend when i get to taste a piece of steak for the first time since march.