Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of my SV "rewards" is a tattoo I have been wanting for a long time. I was going to wait until goal however I'm thinking about doing it at 100# lost. For those of you with tats, how has your skin held up? My arms are in need of PS work but I'm wanting to put it on my foot...would I be okay to do it now or should I hold out another 60# or so?

Thanks for your input!

ETA: I have searched posts about tattoos but can't find anything about "feet" LOL!

Edited by WyominGirl

omg that is where i want my tattoo on my foot and i was going to get it when i reach a certain goal. I want a flower with some fancy scroll work going up my foot. I would say that it depends on your feet. If they are pretty thin and bony (after 100lbs i am sure they are) then i would say 60lbs will propably not come off of your feet but i would ask the tattoo artist and see what he says.

I got a tattoo on my foot about two years ago. The tatt artist told me that weight won't effect the foot tatt, much. Actually, weight loss can make a tatt look better. Unlike weight gain where it is stretched. Why did I choose my foot? I figured it was the one place on the female body gaurenteed not to sag ^_^

Ha ha Kristine, I love your logic. What did you get? I was also thining of a tatt on my foot, but not sure what I want.

Ha ha Kristine, I love your logic. What did you get? I was also thining of a tatt on my foot, but not sure what I want.

It took me over 12 years to decide and commit, lol. Yeah, I'm a wuss. Mine's not shades of black, as many are. It's colorful. I love it. When I was 21-ish, I was told I'd never have kids. Made it through that emotional land mind. I was diagnosed w/endometriosis (part of infertility issue). Then, I was diagnosed w/fibromyalgia. It seemed every time I was turning around, there was something else to deal with.

So, my tat incoperates 3 things, stars, cresent moons and a rose in the center.

the meanings

Stars - Wish apon a star

Moon - Hang your dreams on the moon

Rose - in my tat it symbolyzes life - It is beautiful but it has thorns. I know in grabbing it I am going to get pricked by the thorns. However, it's so beautiful, I just can't help reaching for it.

I too have a tat on my foot, I got it preband about 6 months ago and I will tell you that the weightloss hasn't changed it a bit. The reason I choose my foot at the time was b/c that was about the only area that I didn't feel bluberish! :bored: The tat I choose was a piece of wheat. My husband and I got married in October and had a harvest wedding, so I felt the wheat not only symbolized our wedding, but it also symbolized life in a plant that may not be considered to be gorgeous...ie: me at the time.

The next tat I get will probably be words of some sort, maybe "conqure*" or "prevail", for the way I feel about my weightloss- probably down the side of my ribcage- like under my arm.

Thanks for the ideas. I saw one time where Lindsey Lohan has one on her wrist. I'm not a fan of hers, but she had "Breathe" tattooed in white (so it's barely visible) on the inside of her wrist. I thought that was a really neat idea and would kind of like to do something similar, but not sure what I would put there other than maybe 01-04-08 (my band date). But that's pretty boring, I'd rather have some cool inspirational words.....hmmmm now I just have to think them up.

I have a tat on my foot as well. I had it done about a year before I was banded. Weight loss has actually made it look better. I (sad to say) have actually went down a size in shoes, didn't realize I had gained weight in my feet as well as everywhere else. :lol: Anyways, I have a lizard on the top of my left foot. The cool thing about it is that my little sister and I got the same tattoo and we got them done togather. I have numerous tattoos that were all done pre-band and they all still look really good. I was smart and didn't tattoo around my arms or anywhere near my stomach. Good luck

Thanks for the ideas. I saw one time where Lindsey Lohan has one on her wrist. I'm not a fan of hers, but she had "Breathe" tattooed in white (so it's barely visible) on the inside of her wrist. I thought that was a really neat idea and would kind of like to do something similar, but not sure what I would put there other than maybe 01-04-08 (my band date). But that's pretty boring, I'd rather have some cool inspirational words.....hmmmm now I just have to think them up.

I would suggest that you get something personal that has meaning for you. If you want a 'word' rather than a date, think of what it took to get to where you are:

Courage --- to take the step for surgery

Love --- Loving yourself enough to take the step for a better and healthier you.

Faith --- Faith in yourself.

Those are just examples. You could also do sayings like alcoholics have "One day at a time." Well, I tell myself "One pound at a time."

May I make a suggestion, don't get any of those Chinese symbols. Unless you know some one who can accurately translate and write the symbols of another language, you never know what you have.

I know I will be getting another tatt. But, it will be in my mid-back. Once it's roll-free:wink2:. It'll be a memorial tatt to my grandfather whom I dearly loved!

Maybe once I get near my goal weight, I'll look into getting something inspirational and personal to me. Maybe a scale tattooed on my ass to remind me what I worked so hard for ... LOL No I wouldn't go that far. But, I am a Libra, so I ould get the Libra scales and it would have a double meaning to me. Hmmmm ... that's a thought, just not on my ass!:lol:

Ha, Kristine, I love the scales idea. Although, I have serious old lady ass, so no way I'd tattoo that! ha ha

I like the word idea. I might just pick one and do it.

I have a colorful butterfly on the outside of my left ankle and it still looks really good. I was blessed tho and didn't have overly fat ankles. Still had a little definition in them. Not much, mind you, but a little! LOL!

Anyway, I would think the foot would be fine at your 100lbs lost goal. Only you can really decide tho. And what someone said about asking the artist is a good idea. Take a good, hard, unbiased look at your foot. Is is fat or not? Ankles might help you in that decision too. I've noticed fat ankles tend to lead to fat feet so that might help. What do your ankles look like? And be honest with yourself. Maybe take a picture of your ankle and foot. I always see things in pictures I don't see in the mirror.

Have fun with it!

I want more but need to not be spending money on that right now. :cool2: I also can't decide on what I want. Actually, I want several but need to make some solid decisions before I even look at what it might cost! AND I have to find another artist!

I have a tat on my foot as well. I had it done about a year before I was banded. Weight loss has actually made it look better. I (sad to say) have actually went down a size in shoes, didn't realize I had gained weight in my feet as well as everywhere else. :thumbup: Anyways, I have a lizard on the top of my left foot. The cool thing about it is that my little sister and I got the same tattoo and we got them done togather. I have numerous tattoos that were all done pre-band and they all still look really good. I was smart and didn't tattoo around my arms or anywhere near my stomach. Good luck

I did the same thing, I only tattooed in places that wouldnt be too effected by weight fluctuation. my upper back and my calf.

Hello! I have 4 tattoos (toe, leg, chest, foot). I had the one on my foot done about 6 weeks after being banded. It is a butterfly w/ a scroll of flowers behind it and my surgery date. I felt that the butterfly was a great symbol of my transformation. I got the tattoo on the top of my left foot so that when I could cross my legs, I could sit there a see it easily.My other three tattoos I had done before being banded. So far, all of my tattoos have fared really well w/ my weightloss (approx 70lbs) because I've gotten them in places that aren't too terribly stretched from being overweight. I am planning to have the date I reach my goal added to the tattoo on my foot. :thumbup:

I have scheduled my first tattoo session this thursday. I am so excited and nervous. I am getting a butterfly because the past year I have really broken out of my cocoon. I drew one up and the artist changed it so it would look great as a tattoo. It's beautiful. Can't wait to post pics of it. I am not a tattoo expert but I think losing weight doesn't effect the tat as much as gaining. I asked the women who will be doing my tattoo and she said not to stress about it.