Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4lbs heavier day after surgery?

Hey everyone,

I was banded Wednesday, July 15th! Everything went very well and on schedule. I wanted to compare my experience with you all to see if this is normal.

The morning of the surgery I weighed 230.8 and the next morning I weighed 234.8. Today I am 233.6. I find this really strange. Could I just be hanging on to every single bit of fluids I am taking in? I had 2 bags of Fluid at the hospital and 55oz of fluid yesterday. Today I am at the halfway mark for the day. Using the bathroom about every 3-4 hours regulary. I don't feel bloated or like I am retaining Water either.

I don't feel restriction persay, but I wouldn't say I am hungery either. I don't notice much of a difference after I drink fluids then before I drink them. I am not hungry..just feel the same regardless of what I take in.

I was just wondering if that all sounded normal.

Thanks Guys!

Susan

That all sounds normal. It takes a couple of days for your body to release all of the fluids they pumped you with. I wouldnt even be thinking about restriction because these next few weeks are for healing and things will probably change day to day.

same thing happened to me. I gained around 4.5 lbs. I flipped out! I was like, Im supposed to lose weight! Not gain it! :cursing:

Few days went by, and I was back to my pre-op weight. I had 2 bags as well.

My team told me not to weigh as that would happen. I decided to wait until my follow up appointment. That way I would be on the same scale and would not stress myself out everyday.

Good luck to you and avoid the scale for a while. We are going to rock this weight away!:cursing:

Christina

I woke up 9 lbs heavier the day after surgery.....which was the 13th. My husband, who is an Anesthetist, said it's all the IV fluids they gave you while in the hospital. They gave me 4 bags of IV fluids and Kevin, my hubby, says that equals to about 9 lbs. Don't worry. I weighed yesterday and I'm back down, so give it a couple days. I even put back on my wedding ring today!

Thanks everyone! Feels good to be normal :smile: I am hanging in there and doing really good. Not alot of gas pain, no vomiting, nothing else out of the ordinary so I feel really good. It helps to hear other people's experiences!!

Glad this came up in the posts. This is my first day post-surgery. When I got home from the hospital I freaked a little because I was up 9 pounds! Today I am up 6 pounds. I wondered if the lap band could really be just that heavy, but this morning when I woke up with a gross taste in my mouth I realized I need to be pumping Water to get the hospital crap out of my system.

Thanks again for bringing this question up, I was a little worried that it was just me!